Author Topic: Joystick suggestions  (Read 745 times)

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
Joystick suggestions
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Guys, I've been using a Logitec Attack 3 for the last few months, but I'm dissatisfied with it due to the lack of a top hot switch. I've been considering buying a Siatek Joystick with 5 buttons, a top hat, throttle, and twist because of it's price (about $20).

Am I downgrading and should stick to the Logitec, or make the purchase?
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:14:50 AM »
i use a saitek X52 and love it!!! everyone i talk to says if you can afford ch products, go with them. ill stick to whats cheaper!

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
It's not really possible to downgrade from a Logitech Attack 3.

Saitek's low-end sticks are cheap and have a lifespan which reflects the price.

Depending on how often you play and how rough you are the cost does equal the use you get out of it.

Don't expect a low-end Saitek (or any brand for that matter) stick to last forever and you won't be disappointed.

Expect a 100% functional life-span of about 12 months.

Saitek's sticks have very light actions as opposed to the very heavy Logitech action. I had a Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro and that was alright while it lasted... very heavy action though, it took a lot of effot to move that stick around compared to the Saitek sticks I've had.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
Originally posted by Xasthur

Saitek's low-end sticks are cheap and have a lifespan which reflects the price.

I've had a ST290 for a long time now, still runs great!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
that's the model I was looking at. Using the number pad to check your six is a royal pain and takes away from my throttle control with the Logitec.

I figure 5 button control should be enough, views to the top hat, left and right buttons for the radios, and the bottom three buttons for bombing, zoom, and WEP.
"Navy061"

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
I started out with attack three but last month got Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro and really like it. One bad thing about attack  three is some of the buttons are on the right side of the base which I thought was clumsy to access. Also  no twisty  which he 3d has . 3d has total of 12 buttons plus 8 way hat plus  3d was on sale at best buy

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
Originally posted by apcampbell
that's the model I was looking at. Using the number pad to check your six is a royal pain and takes away from my throttle control with the Logitec.

I figure 5 button control should be enough, views to the top hat, left and right buttons for the radios, and the bottom three buttons for bombing, zoom, and WEP.

Yep I had mine setup as:

Trigger: Fire All
2: "B"
3: Channel Talk
4: Secondary Toggle
5:Zoom
6: WEP
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
Flat, i just looked up your Logitec, more buttons and features than the Siatek, an it's less than $30 at Circuit City. I'm going to check and see if they have it on the way home. I do like the lack of the twist feature, seems like an obvious weak point in the design (I have CH Pedals anyways), and Logitec is a well known and reliable brand (to me at least).
"Navy061"

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
apcampbell,
Have you looked at the Saitek Avaitor?  

One of the guys in our squad got one about a month ago and likes it a lot.  I think you can get one for around $40.   Though that's a little more than you're wanting to pay, it may be worth the extra $10 in the long run.

Good luck!
-hb
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
Originally posted by HomeBoy
apcampbell,
Have you looked at the Saitek Avaitor?  

One of the guys in our squad got one about a month ago and likes it a lot.  I think you can get one for around $40.   Though that's a little more than you're wanting to pay, it may be worth the extra $10 in the long run.

Good luck!
-hb

I've got an AV8R-01 and I think there is a problem with the cable, although it is not under warranty anymore. It is a nice stick, but the dual throttles, personally, are facing the wrong way.

FlyKommando.com

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 01:06:44 PM »
ST290 pro. Best twisty stick IMO for the price.

Just have to get used to it's loose base if your converting from a logitech, which is more sturdier.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »
Find an old MicroSoft Sidewinder Force Feed Back and use it. You can get one on ebay or amazon probably, They work real well. I've heard they are around 20 to 30 bucks. That is if you are looking to go cheap.

I use one as a spare and fly with a x52 pro. I like the x52 pro better but I think I fly best with the MS FF.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »
Originally posted by MjTalon
ST290 pro. Best twisty stick IMO for the price.

Just have to get used to it's loose base if your converting from a logitech, which is more sturdier.

Look around some more and stay away from the ST290's. They are a poor work around for views and if you lose sight you lose the fight.

Think of a stick having min requirements like this....

Top Hat = 8 way hat
Twist stick for rudders
Throttle on the base of stick
Buttons on the stick and around hat
Buttons on the base

As many buttons as you can find.

The 290 only has buttons around the hat. That handicaps your ability to see. Why upgrade to a disadvantage when there are better sticks out there for the same price?

Hope this helps.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »
saitek st290 is good, but like Ren said, not enough buttons. the saitek cyborg evo is almost the same stick with more buttons for about $10 more. or for $120 you could get an X52. if you want to go even better, go with CH gear. you'll spend about $300 for a full setup though, stick, throttle, and rudders.

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
Joystick suggestions
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 10:22:14 AM »
Originally posted by moneyguy
saitek st290 is good, but like Ren said, not enough buttons. the saitek cyborg evo is almost the same stick with more buttons for about $10 more. or for $120 you could get an X52. if you want to go even better, go with CH gear. you'll spend about $300 for a full setup though, stick, throttle, and rudders.

If "smooth movement" is one of your primary requirements, gofer a CH Fighterstick.  If "on the other hand" you need more buttons/switches/modes, than you'll ever need, and are willing to settle for a stick that isn't quite as "smooth" as the CH gear, get a X52 for < $90 buks at Amazon..BTW, there is nothing wrong with the ST290, IF you just need a basic stick and your ACM skills are on par with a Jedi knight:D

dentin
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"