Author Topic: Dweeb Planes  (Read 3239 times)

Offline p40love

• Zinc Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
Well i have been playing AH for 3 months now subscribed and all, but since i've started the only plane i used was the p-40E. Now i still fly the p-40E and i land kills on  p-51's, spits, la-7's and all sorts that have many advantages against me. The reason im saying this is that if you pick a plane that has many disadvantages in the beginging you learn to control harder planes and adapt, but when you grab a pony or spit you go to a plane with more advantages which teachs you nothing in my opinion. I feel that there are no dweeb planes only dweeb pilots. My example of this is a pilot who flys a plane that is too good for him, A pilot who butts into your 1on1's when you and another enemy are having a duel or something and he comes flying in even though you dont need help and shoots the enemy down or shoots him a bit then flys off and when you shoot the enemy down fully you only get assist , that pisses me off the most of all. so really if your new to AH grab a zero or a p-40 or a 47 and train to its learning curve so when you do fight a better plane than yours you'll have jst as much of a advantage as he does. Today i played for 1 hour and landed 7 kills in a p-40E on MA late war server. Also don't pick a plane that you like in real life, for i love the p-47 thunderbolt but in the game i feel it just isnt as good as it should be so my name on the game is P47love, but i use the p-40 I still love the p-47 in real life, but ingame i love the p-40.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:10:43 PM by p40love »

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »
The only dweebs are aces high are us pilots.

Com'on fellas, we all pay good $ to go broom broom and ratta tat tat.
How macho can we be?

*re-adjusts his glasses..err..flight goggles.*

:aok
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »
Originally posted by p40love
Well i have been playing AH for 3 months now subscribed and all, but since i've started the only plane i used was the p-40E. Now i still fly the p-40E and i land kills on  p-51's, spits, la-7's and all sorts that have many advantages against me. The reason im saying this is that if you pick a plane that has many disadvantages in the beginging you learn to control harder planes and adapt, but when you grab a pony or spit you go to a plane with more advantages which teachs you nothing in my opinion. I feel that there are no dweeb planes only dweeb pilots. My example of this is a pilot who flys a plane that is too good for him, A pilot who butts into your 1on1's when you and another enemy are having a duel or something and he comes flying in even though you dont need help and shoots the enemy down or shoots him a bit then flys off and when you shoot the enemy down fully you only get assist , that pisses me off the most of all. so really if your new to AH grab a zero or a p-40 or a 47 and train to its learning curve so when you do fight a better plane than yours you'll have jst as much of a advantage as he does. Today i played for 1 hour and landed 7 kills in a p-40E on MA late war server. Also don't pick a plane that you like in real life, for i love the p-47 thunderbolt but in the game i feel it just isnt as good as it should be so my name on the game is P47love, but i use the p-40 I still love the p-47 in real life, but ingame i love the p-40.

:huh :huh

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2008, 07:01:26 AM »
Yeah Mr. "P-47love" I should have reported you the other night for harassing me with continued "join squad" messages even tho I told you to quit it. Your about as obnoxious a little dweeb punk as Ive found on this game.

Funny thing I was actually dive bombing a P-47 with a bunch of cons around when this little squeeker kept filling my screen with join requests even tho I told him to cut it out. Eventually I had to break off just so I could squelch the kid.

And hes here talking about Dweebs.:lol

Originally posted by p40love
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27:33 AM »
The first four years I flew online it was mostly in A6m's. Not cause I thought they were cool, or looked good.  Actually if I could have I'd probably prefered a P38.
Now that I thought looked cool, but I couldn't fly my way out of a wet paper bag in one.

Now years later I have moved on from the poor A6m, fun plane but you just can't get out of a fight. Its stay until they are all dead more often than not.

Nowdays I fly a wide variety of planes. Yaks, La5fns, C.205, p51, 190a8, Spitfires, (seafire and spit 8 prefered). I'm looking forward to the p39, because I think its going to be a fun ride for those who can master it.

Mtnman pretty much nailed it on the head. Any plane can be a dweeb plane if flown in that manner.  If I hit a slump the first thing I'll do is up a nik and find a furball. If you point your nose at me yes I'll probably shoot at you on the way by.

I'll take all the dweeb remarks and laugh all the way back to my field while I land my kills. You know why? Because the ultimate intention of Aces High is to have fun. The vast majority of my kills in the nik come from high deflection shots that the other guy doesn't think I can make. And when I do make it and he goes spiralling down life is good. If he makes it and I go down I reup and try again.

Its as simple as that, don't give up, don't share your frustration and anger.
We all have plenty of both to go around, we don't need yours.

Do share your respect (if you have any) as no one ever gets enough of that.

If you killed him, ease his pain just a smidge with a and go on flying.
If you died, don't return a with a pm or a bunch of smack talk.

If your seeing nothing but dweeb planes, then I suggest you need to start educating dweebs. And please do it with courtesy and respect. After all if we drive away all the new dweebs who are we going to shoot at? Not to mention eventually HTC would close its doors and we'd be out in the cold.

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
There's no dweeb planes, only dweeb pilot's.

With time, you shall learn this. :)

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
Originally posted by SpikesX
Yak is NOT a dweeb plane.

LA7
LA5Fn
Nik
Spixteen
Hurri IIC (to some extent)
A6M5b
Pony D (again, to some extent)

In no particular order.

Don't forget to put the Tempest and "C hog " at the TOP of the list.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2008, 10:59:32 PM »
Originally posted by kozhedub
If I leave my gear down in my Lavochkins to make it fair to I qualify as a real man?

hey u got the name of the #1 Allied ace of WWII. lol :D
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 11:04:50 PM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
Most of the folks that fly the LA-7 or Spit 16 "dweeby" do so merely because they don't know any better.  And both of those planes allow you to make mistakes in spades and still come out smelling like roses.  So, for the less skilled, they're the perfect aircraft to compensate for poor skills.

Some of us get devoted to this game to the point of having some sort of treatable psychiatric condition.  We strive to learn a certain aircraft for some sort of nostalgic reason.  Others don't have or make the time to learn as others do.  They play casually, and these two planes are perfect for their style of play.  Doesn't make 'em "dweeb" rides or "dweeb" pilots.  
Just makes 'em "different" than us purist type players.

It took me a long time to get over that, but eventually I did.  So will you if you play long enough.

Well on my opinion, after the "dweeb planes" and you get more skill, move up to the 109 or 190 (i cant fight with those german planes though lol). I really like the f-4u-1, not the 1a or the 1d or even the 1c just the f4u-1. Its a great plane at higher alts, has lots of ammo/stopping power, and i can slightly see my 6 (unlike the 1a, c, d, or u). Im trying to get good at the jug but i still havent mastered that plane yet. of course if anyone wants to give me some jug tips, go ahead or even TA 1 day. Thats what i want to be my next plane. But still love the f4u-1. :aok
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »
move up to the 109 or 190

A move up? A Bf 109 would seem like a lateral move to me at best. What if someone likes their N1K? Or Spitfire? Or P 51D? Or Hurri IIC? etc etc.

I have the thought that you are better served by flying a single plane type and learning it thoroughly, make it a plane you like obviously. I'm not keen on the idea that everyone needs to eventually fly the Ju 87 at 200m from sea level to become the l33t mastahs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:47:50 AM by Gabriel »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »
I grew up thinking the Spitfire was the coolest plane ever built.  I read about them.  I built models of them.  I watched shows about them.  I just loved the Spitfire.

So, when I started in AW back in '96, I first jumped into a Spitfire.  I flew all the other planes along the way but always ended up back in the Spit.  Then AH came along, and there was actually more than one Spit.  The IX was the top of the line performance-wise and that became my regular ride.  Then they re-did the Spit line-up and the IX took a big performance hit, but the XVI picked up almost exactly where the IX had been, so the XVI became my regular ride.

Now understand, I never knew people thought any planes were dweebie until I started frequenting these boards, so, I'd always fly the Spit XVI.

Then, they introduced ENY.  This forced me to jump into "lesser" Spits.  I learned I really loved the Seafire as a back-up to the XVI.

Continued BBs visitations somehow clouded my judgement, and love for the Spitfire by making me think I was some sort of dweeb (well, I am but not for liking Spits), so I endeavored to learn the entire plane-set.  I found I liked a lot of different planes for a lot of different reasons and this, over time, tempered my use of the Spit, although I still came back to them often.  I even found a couple new favorites that I use a LOT (F6F-5 and FW190A-8 in particular) and I love the challenge of the EW planes in the LW arenas.

But... when it's all on the line... do or die not knowing what I'll run into, I still grab my XVI and head into the unfriendly skies and this is often the biggest challenge.  I have SO much more confidence in myself in the XVI I often find myself in situations I would never put myself in in any other plane.  Me on 10?  No problem.  Give me a XVI and some E and I'm there.

So, I have to ask then, is the guy alone fighting 5 guys the dweeb, or are the 5 guys ganging who can' kill him the dweebs?  

I say better dweeb than dead.

[EDIT]  BTW, I scored 19 kills and 2 deaths in the XVI over the weekend, mostly flying in vastly outnumbered situations.  One death was to a set of B-17's, the other to the field ack over what had been one of our fields that got taken.  I still scored two kills flying totally within the enemy field ack before it got me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:39:21 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
BaldEagl,

The only change to the Spit IX when the Spit lineup was redone was to remove the ahistorical .50 cal options, the 250lb bombs on wings option and the rocket options.  There were no other changes.  The Mk VIII and Mk XVI are much more powerful than the Mk IX was and is, so it feels poor io comparison.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »
Originally posted by Gabriel
A move up? A Bf 109 would seem like a lateral move to me at best. What if someone likes their N1K? Or Spitfire? Or P 51D? Or Hurri IIC? etc etc.

I have the thought that you are better served by flying a single plane type and learning it thoroughly, make it a plane you like obviously. I'm not keen on the idea that everyone needs to eventually fly the Ju 87 at 200m from sea level to become the l33t mastahs.

Well after you learn it thoroughly, go to a plane thats alot different. Ex. you perfect the hurri 2c, now get good at the p-47d-40, completely different and you pretty much get to start over.:aok Which is really really fun, because its like the game is new to you again. Thats what im doing now, and sometimes under different circumstances, i will fly a spit or a hurri.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
BaldEagl,

The only change to the Spit IX when the Spit lineup was redone was to remove the ahistorical .50 cal options, the 250lb bombs on wings option and the rocket options.  There were no other changes.  The Mk VIII and Mk XVI are much more powerful than the Mk IX was and is, so it feels poor io comparison.

It might have just been my perception when they changed the line-up.  When it happened, I was upset that the IX lost the .50's and that's when I moved to the XVI.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
Dweeb Planes
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Originally posted by angelsandair
Well after you learn it thoroughly, go to a plane thats alot different. Ex. you perfect the hurri 2c, now get good at the p-47d-40, completely different and you pretty much get to start over.:aok Which is really really fun, because its like the game is new to you again. Thats what im doing now, and sometimes under different circumstances, i will fly a spit or a hurri.

You may have missed the bit about just liking certain aircraft and flying them (nearly or completely) exclusively. :aok