Author Topic: is it always supposed to shake?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline d3wb33d0

• Zinc Member
is it always supposed to shake?
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »
when ever i get into dog fights i always get shot down, now this is no surprise, but i always shake like crazy when i get into tight turns, or start stalling, and if i continue in the turn, i spin out and get picked off, help?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »
If you are shaking in tight turns ... then you are "stalling".

Bottom line is that you are pulling to hard and trying to turn to hard for what the plane can handle ... you are learning the dynamics of flight ... the hard way.

You didn't say what plane you are flying.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: is it always supposed to shake?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
Originally posted by d3wb33d0
when ever i get into dog fights i always get shot down, now this is no surprise, but i always shake like crazy when i get into tight turns, or start stalling, and if i continue in the turn, i spin out and get picked off, help?

you also pretty much don't want your speed to fall below 200. Your not flying jets here, it takes a few minutes to build up flying speed let alone fight speed. Spend an hour in the training area WITH a trainer. You'll be surprised at how uch they can teach you in that time.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: is it always supposed to shake?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »
Originally posted by d3wb33d0

the "shaking in the tight turns is the warning of the oncomming stall........what's happening is that you're exceeding the critical angle of attack for that particular aircraft, causeing the air to seperate form the wing....the slower wing will stall first, and this is what causes your spin. you need to work the throttle and flaps, to help avoid, or at least delay the stall........

hope this helps a bit......btw......although i really suck, i do tend to ride the stall a LOT in furballs...........

sorry....i should've explained the angle of atack.......the wing is never perfectly level,,, i think that in level flight, your wing is at about 2 or 3 degrees to the oncomming wind. i think the "critical" angle of attack(that's where the air seprerates from the wing causing the stall)is in the ballpark of 17 degrees. so....you're roled over on your right wing, pulling in behind a bogie......he's slower than you, and is truning very tight....you pull harder to match his turn and pull some lead....but your plane starts shuddering.....that's because you're trying to lift(turn) the nose around into him too hard, making the wing's angle too high for the air to smoothly flow over and under it....and when this happens the wing cannot create lift.

i think i've explained it ok? and hope this helps ya a it.....do what fugative said...go to the training arena, and hook up with a trainer.......it'll do ya a world of good.

good luck!!!!:aok
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:40:19 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »
"If it ain't shakin' it ain't turnin'"

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
"If it ain't shakin' it ain't turnin'"

My regards,

Widewing
Learning to ride the shake is like learning to ride a bull.  Do it right, and you will be rewarded, do it wrong, you will get pitched off...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
When the plane breaks into a studder don't you actually loose some of your turn radius? Even if your not in a complete falling to the ground stall?
Jay12

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
Originally posted by WWM
When the plane breaks into a studder don't you actually loose some of your turn radius? Even if your not in a complete falling to the ground stall?

only if you go too deeply into it, then yes...but i(at least in the zeke..still working in the spit n hurri, then on to harder planes) can ride the zeke in a "light" shudder, and at this point, i can outturn almost anything..even with my drop tank still hanging. problem is if i get anxious, and try to pull in harder for the shot....it will depart..that's when it snaps opposite the direction of flight.....and that's nasty....but fuuuuuuun.
:aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
Originally posted by WWM

If you fly it so deep into a buffet that the aircraft tries to snap inverted, you've gone too far. Flying too deep into the stall buffet invariably means you'll be dipping the inside wing. Correcting with top rudder or aileron (anything that reduces you angle of bank) will increase turn radius. Finding the absolute limit takes a lot of practice and proper technique. Many players aren't interested in expending the time and effort. They don't take the game seriously enough to bother. That's ok, whatever floats their boats...

Taking it to the ragged edge, and being able to fly it there for as long as you want, that's a skill 99.9% of the player base doesn't have. They may think they are at the plane's limit, but in reality, the limit they find is their limit. The aircraft's limit is often substantially higher than that of the pilot.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »
Thanks. I always released pressure at the first sign of studder because I thought it was extending my turn radius.
Jay12

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
If you fly it so deep into a buffet that the aircraft tries to snap inverted, you've gone too far. Flying too deep into the stall buffet invariably means you'll be dipping the inside wing. Correcting with top rudder or aileron (anything that reduces you angle of bank) will increase turn radius. Finding the absolute limit takes a lot of practice and proper technique. Many players aren't interested in expending the time and effort. They don't take the game seriously enough to bother. That's ok, whatever floats their boats...

Taking it to the ragged edge, and being able to fly it there for as long as you want, that's a skill 99.9% of the player base doesn't have. They may think they are at the plane's limit, but in reality, the limit they find is their limit. The aircraft's limit is often substantially higher than that of the pilot.

My regards,

Widewing

so do you mean to correct by ruddering the nose up or down?
if im in a left turn do i raise the nose with rudder or lower it?
if you correct with alerion you roll back to the right a few degrees, right?
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »
Originally posted by goober69

actually, release just the slightest bit of presure on the stick........or if you're slow enough, get a notch of flaps out.........you need to decrease the AOA of the wing to the oncomming air
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »

I think you mis-read that Goober-  "top" rudder  or aileron actually INCREASES your turn radius.  This effectively makes you turn a larger circle...

The way I look at it, if I give top rudder in a turn I'm part-way to a slip, or in a partial slip.  If I give more rudder it will turn into what I think of as a full slip.  I generally slip in a fairly straight path.  Not only is this hurting my turn radius, it's exposing the side of my plane to the slip-stream, creating lots of extra drag- at a time when I'm already at the edge of a stall.

So, slowing down and straightening out would seem to hurt my tight turn...

It's also the beginning of a recipe to snap into a spin.

That said- I do use top-side rudder occasionally to keep my inner wing from stalling/dropping, with good results.  It does work for that as a temporary quick-fix.  It keeps me from stalling, but hurts my overall turn radius.  Slowing my turn to avoid the stall is an OK trade-off, but if this is where I am in a fight it's a hint I may need to re-think things...

MtnMan
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:41:10 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 03:22:37 PM »

Rudder does not really raise the nose. It induced a yawing roll. So, if you are in a left hand turn, cranking it in real tight and the inside wing stalls, the wing then  drops. You can correct with a nudge of right rudder and/or apply some right aileron. You may also have to relax a bit of back pressure on the elevators too.

When you do any of the above, you roll out of the left-hand bank and increase the turn radius. Adding rudder adds drag. Adding drag moves the whole aircraft closer to a genuine stall.

Some guys use top rudder the whole time they are turning, trying to offset or prevent the inside wing from stalling. What this does is reduce bank angle and add drag. Thus, both turn rate and radius suffer.

The secret of getting the smallest turning circle out of a fighter is being able to sense or feel when you have flown as deep into a stall as possible, just short of stalling the inside wing. Then, have the skill to hold it there for as long as needed. A highly skilled pilot can milk the stall, letting air flow across the inside wing burble, but not quite stall. Then relax back pressure a hair, smooth out the airflow and repeat it over and over. If you can do that with precision, no one will ever out-turn you in the same aircraft. They may match you (unlikely), but not out-turn you.

To get to that level, you must be completely familiar with that aircraft. Jumping into a plane you have little practice in means that you will not immediately recognize the limits and you will find that you will be dipping wings and not getting the tightest turn radius. It may take a few circles to get zeroed in on the limits... You could be dead by then too.

All of the above apply mostly to flat turning contests on the deck, called a lufbery circle after a WWI fighter pilot who supposedly invented the tactic. Lufbery circles were often used by a squadron of fighters to deny the enemy the ability to get on one plane's tail. To do so means the next friendly fighter is on enemy's tail. It is usually a totally defensive maneuver. However, if the other guy bites and pulls into the circle, a pilot skilled at max rate, minimum radius turning will gain the advantage, either coming around for the eventual shot, or forcing the other guy to break out and try to reposition. If he waits too long to do the latter, he's likely to die.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
Some guys use top rudder the whole time they are turning ...

WW ... what exactly is "top rudder" ? ... is there "bottom rudder" too ?

'splain Lucy.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."