Author Topic: Meanings of Names  (Read 11591 times)

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 06:51:51 AM »
When I started flying in AW you could only have 5 characters in your name.

In those days I was in pool construction, primarily the plumbing, so I became Plmr$.  

The '$' indicated I was a member of the 'FREEBIRD$' squadron.

When I tracked down some of the old squadies to AHII  2 years ago, they now do the 'FB' before the name, so I just threw in an extra 'm' to keep folks from calling me 'palmer'.

I'm no longer a plumber but it still sounds cooler than Document Imaging Systems Technician' or 'Records Division guy' :D

Offline Caz1

• Zinc Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 07:01:18 AM »
I had a similar experience to WMLute.  Back in the mid-to-late '90s I played Air Warrior on the old AOL "pay to play" routine where you paid by the hour for AW becaue it was considered a "premium game".  I came across an add for it on AOL and, since I enjoy flight sims, I thought I'd check it out.

When I tried to create my name, everything was already taken - and every bastardization of anything I wanted was also taken.  Finally I tried to come up with a word that I thought would be short, and easy for my fellow flyboys to say or type and the first thing I tried, "Caz1", was accepted.

I flew under that call sign for the C-land team for several years.  Wound up joining the "Grim Reapers" squad flying under Pappi right before the end.  Then EA bought out Air Warrior and attempted to "upgrade" it.  Shortly thereafter life ended as we know it (they killed the game).

Some years later, when I learned of Aces High 2, I tried my old call sign and got it.  So I've stayed Caz1.  Name means nothing, and sounds like everything else. :aok

Offline chase4

• Copper Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 07:08:06 AM »
slider = guy form top gun xD

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »
batfink was a cheesy cartoon from about 30 years ago. the bat part is for having a laugh and random fun whilst the fink part is a dark soul intent on stealing your sheep. the V is for victory and the mkV spit after i lost my old account.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »
Oboe goes back to Warbirds, too, almost 10 years in and out of flight sims now.  

A familiar situation for new players; all the cool names were taken so I decided I would take as a handle a short, two syllable code word from WWII.  

"Oboe" was the first one I tried, a code word for some kind of British radio direction finding gear, which apparently sounded like the musical instrument when operating.  

Like a bad nickel, it keeps coming back...

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 07:55:24 AM »
My first go-round in Aces High, I flew under the name of piston (for my love of WWII aircraft).  I flew for about a month or so under that name.  I chose to defend bases at all costs against the horde.  It was very painful =).  I began to tire of taking on 30 guys by myself all the time and wondered why I was'nt getting much help with defence.  So I decided to return to WB, but quickly became disenchanted with their management once again.

Coming back to Aces High, I knew what I was in for and wanted to choose a name that symbolized how I fought.  Helbent! against the masses!!  Since then I have somewhat changed my style, but I still am helbent when on somesones 6, despite what is behind me (sometimes).  Case in point stick stirrers, I believe they all should die, so I try my best to kill them no matter the outcome for me.

Helbent
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »
Originally posted by lambo31
And it sounded better than Lambchops or Lambypoo.

Lambo

You do know it's going to be "Lambypoo" from now on don't you ?

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
Mines quite simple. I got my name from my grandfather. "VansCrew" was his call sign.

http://www.303rdbg.com/360vangeyten.html

He's the one Top left.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
I wanted the name PugeHenis, but it was already taken.  So I chose Shrimp because I like to eat shrimp and I like to scuba dive.

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »
Rock Band  " King Crimson"  

Was Aslo CO of A Squad I started in AW Crimson Kings. Will never do that Again :rolleyes:

Crims

479th Raiders FG
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:22:43 AM by crims »
Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »
i was going to be splitatom but there is a limit to the number of leters in a name so i went with my dogs nickname"snowey" he got that from after he got a bath our house looked like it had snowed white hair was every where
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Niros

• Copper Member
      • http://www.youtube.com/user/NirosAH2?
Meanings of Names
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
First it was "Niros". Means my name "Sorin" read from the right.
Then "Nyros" (i lost my account once).
Now it's "Nyros1" (i do not comment what's about that "1" , but i wish it a long life.....  :mad:  )

.. glad to meet you all
+Sorin+
My YouTube movies:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NirosAH2

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »
Zazen is the Zen Buddhist practice of meditation whereby the mind is cleared of all thought leaving only nothing-ness/everything-ness.

Literally translated from Japanese it means "to sit". The purpose of Zazen is to have satori experiences, flashes of enlightened insight and wisdom,  which ultimately lead to ultimate enlightenment or Nirvana...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:46:44 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm a Redsox fan:huh
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Meanings of Names
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
Grits are southern food, and I like em. When my friends in SoCal saw me eating them they started calling me Grits. When I started AW I chose that since it was a real nickname and I've used it online since '93.