Author Topic: what is a horde??  (Read 415 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
what is a horde??
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »
what exactly is a horde?? is it a large formation of enemy aircraft attacking your base??? i would call that a mission. if you hit a base with a large number of aircraft, id call that a freakin surprize!! it sounds to me like a large strike force. wheres the horde?? so you're mad because you get hit with a large number of aircraft, cant get into the air to defend yourselves because everyone is supressing the enemy(vulching?) and you lose the base???? hmmm id call that war and assault tactics. maybe i need to be enlightened to the errors of my ways?? please let me know

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
what is a horde??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »
usually the term horde coincides with a large numerical disparity between countries  that  prevents the outnumbered country from being able to mount any kind of adequate defense based on numbers of combatants only
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
what is a horde??
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »
thank you, i feel much better now....

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
what is a horde??
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »
horde  
Pronunciation: \ˈhȯrd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, German, & Polish; Middle French & German, from Polish horda, from Ukrainian dialect gorda, alteration of Ukrainian orda, from Old Russian, from Turkic orda, ordu khan's residence
Date: 1555
1 a: a political subdivision of central Asian nomads b: a people or tribe of nomadic life
2: a teeming crowd or throng : swarm
synonyms see crowd
3: In Aces High 2 the term is usually used by a member of the team with
fewer numbers after having his butt handed to him too many times. See (vulching) Also sometimes used by members of the same team when too many friendly players make good fights impossible.

~AoM~

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
what is a horde??
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »
see 2 above... its  humans swarming
Ludere Vincere

Offline justyy

• Zinc Member
what is a horde??
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
Ask the German's who faught in WWII what it means to be out numbered they can tell ya in a few words .......The War is Over..................
justyy
Crap not another bomber sortie

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
what is a horde??
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
3: In Aces High 2 the term is usually used by a member of the team with
fewer numbers after having his butt handed to him too many times. See (vulching) Also sometimes used by members of the same team when too many friendly players make good fights impossible.
Depending on the situation, a horde can be anything from 2 planes up to how many one has time to count.

Well, 2 planes don't make a horde yet, but it might feel like facing a horde in a fight (and no, I don't recommend whining about a horde if you lose a 2-1 fight). :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: what is a horde??
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »
Originally posted by captain1ma
what exactly is a horde?? is it a large formation of enemy aircraft attacking your base??? i would call that a mission. if you hit a base with a large number of aircraft, id call that a freakin surprize!! it sounds to me like a large strike force. wheres the horde?? so you're mad because you get hit with a large number of aircraft, cant get into the air to defend yourselves because everyone is supressing the enemy(vulching?) and you lose the base???? hmmm id call that war and assault tactics. maybe i need to be enlightened to the errors of my ways?? please let me know

I alway thought that a horde was a force that has over whelming numbers. For the most part, 10-12 guys are enough to take a base, 5-6 if its a NOE. If your bringing more than that, its a horde.

In war, the bigger the number superiority you have the better, but you have to remember that this is a game, and its suppose to be fun. Flying in a horde, to me isn't fun due to the fact that your fighting to get your kills, or hit targets, or your just tooling around doing nothing.

Flying against the horde, while being a target rich environment  gets frustrating fast due to the fact that half the time you can't get off the runway, and the fight isn't going to last as the base will be steam rolled.

Mission planners have the power to break the horde cycle. Plan missions better. If you have 30-40 guys joining your missions, attack 2 bases at once, don't pile everyone on one base. Anyone can capture a base with 2 and 3 to 1 numbers. Try something a bit more challenging, go for two! Run one GV attack on one base, and an air attack on the other. Attack one base, and pork two others to get them ready for the next mission. And the other horde buster mission..... attack the other countries horde !!! You see a horde coming in to hit a base, up your mission as a fighter sweep, and bust the horde!

Wheres the fun in always taking the "easy way"? Its much more fun when there is a challenge. In WWII the challenge was to get home alive, here we have to make our own challenge.... turn fight a spit with your pony   :D  Sure you really shouldn't, but think of the thrill if you win !

Down with hordes, lets have fun !!!