Author Topic: P 39 damage model  (Read 591 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
P 39 damage model
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
I just had a thought. In-game all fighter aircraft currently suffer catastrophic engine damage when struck with one or more 30mm rounds in the actual engine.

Regardless of whether this is an immediate destruction of the engine or not, the 30mm-damaged does not often run for long.

Now, this will of course mean that any hits in the P-39's designated 'engine area' (i.e behind the cockpit and forward of the tail section) will register the same damage, I suspect.

What of hits to the forward fuselage area? Will the drive shaft be modelled as damageable? What of the forward fuselage itself? Will it be capable of taking damage that renders the aircraft unable to fly?

What are your thoughts, gentlemen? It would seem very odd indeed to me if the P 39 had nothing that could be damaged (aside from the gun) forward of the cockpit.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:02:24 AM »
:noid
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »
I would think (hope) that a 30mm or above in the nose would take out the engine and or hub cannon. Thing I see that might be a problem is most of my tater hits are were the P39s engine is, and as most of you know a tater to the engine isnt a death. Your lucky if thier engine dies, but sometimes Iv seen them fly on like nothing has happened.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
P 39 damage model
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
A tater to the 39Q's engine should knock out the engine and hub gun.  As you all have seen the B25's damage modeling, it's up to date, so we'll see how they will do the 39Q's damage modelling.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
I dont think a hit to the engine would knock out the gun with it. If I remember right the pilot pretty much sat on the tater gun. Im not an expert or anything, but as arch said would a shot to the nose damage the crank shaft in turn damaging the engine.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 08:52:53 AM »
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ChargeLlv36/DGS_F2/photo#5121282791138255314

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ChargeLlv36/DGS_F2/photo#5121282791138255330

The engine did die shortly after those screenies, though, and the 30mms actually hit the engine, not cpit as it would appear from those pics.

I don't have problem to accept that plane does not lose parts from engine hit. In that particular case IRL the engine cowlings would have been blasted away by the explosions and the engine died right there but thats it.

In P39 case the problem is that there is more empty space in the forward section than in the engine section giving more expansion room for explosive gases. However it is not a closed section of the fuselage so the 30mm would probably blast away the service doors on both sides of "gun bay".

I also know that I'd not like to sit on that transmission axle if it got out of balance for some reason. Surely there is a possibility of that kind of damage too but I can't say how high it is. How thick tube was it after all?

-C+

Edt. the pilot does not sit on the gun. He sits on transmission axle and the 37mm is directly in front of him.
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:24:52 AM »
it won't suffer blinding oil stains though, will it?

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
P 39 damage model
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
Actually, it would have to put blinding oil stains on the BACK GLASS, obscuring your 6 views!

How cool is that?

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
P 39 damage model
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »
I'm still waiting to see if the smoke from an engine hit still generates out of the prop hub like it does on every other plane in AH, or if they're finally going to put one coming out of the exhaust stacks where its supposed to be... :noid
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »
Originally posted by Treize69
I'm still waiting to see if the smoke from an engine hit still generates out of the prop hub like it does on every other plane in AH, or if they're finally going to put one coming out of the exhaust stacks where its supposed to be... :noid

Hey.. I thought you quit.........
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
P 39 damage model
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
Be interesting to see if hitting the wings causes coolant loss,as thats where they stored it.A shot to the fuselage gets the engine,or worse yet the fuel cells.Supposedly the P39Q could take a lot of damage,so we will have to see how it works out.
IronDog