Author Topic: Yak-3  (Read 2047 times)

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Re: Yak-3
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »
P-39 Fills a huge gap in Early and Mid war, AvA, and FSO. Aces High 2 isn't just about you and your Late War Enviroments. 
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 12:25:45 AM »
P-39 Fills a huge gap in Early and Mid war, AvA, and FSO. Aces High 2 isn't just about you and your Late War Enviroments. 

Well unfortunately the game is all about late war arenas. Anything else is a side show, Early and Mid your lucky to see more then 25 people on so that's a non event. FSO one off events for squads. P39 is a hanger queen, was always going to be. I don't mind taking any high eny plane up in late war arena, but the 39 is wrecked by it's non existent rear view. A plane that's likely to get picked on from every direction you at least need excellent visibility for increased SA to make up for it's lack of performance in other areas.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 12:31:19 AM »
FSO is huge dude. I love the P-39, it does it's part in filling a gap in Early, Mid, AvA.... and NO Aces High isn't about the Late War arenas, because that's all we would see instead of Early, Mid AvA arenas. The point of the game is the whole of World War 2, not the late part of it. Mid-war used to attract alot of players IIRC. Before we were "blessed" with 2 Late War arenas.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 12:37:29 AM »
This game is FSO/scenarios. The rest of it is practice.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 03:33:12 AM »

Really? Then why doesn't the entire MA empty when the big game is on?

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 03:35:03 AM »
FSO is huge dude. I love the P-39, it does it's part in filling a gap in Early, Mid, AvA.... and NO Aces High isn't about the Late War arenas, because that's all we would see instead of Early, Mid AvA arenas. The point of the game is the whole of World War 2, not the late part of it. Mid-war used to attract alot of players IIRC. Before we were "blessed" with 2 Late War arenas.

Early and Mid are just somewhere to fly with more safety. You don't like to go up against late war fighters with your high eny plane. Personally I prefer nothing more then shooting down top tier and perk rides with a Yak T, anything else just seems a bit too easy.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 03:54:42 AM »

Dantoo I didn't know you had a shade account ! I do agree and I can't wait for the euro time FSO.

I'm in for the Yak3 also, but I thought it was faster than the Yak9u, am I mistaken ?

now posting as SirNuke

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 06:22:23 AM »
faster,smaller,same armarment
Flying since tour 71.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
Well unfortunately the game is all about late war arenas. Anything else is a side show, Early and Mid your lucky to see more then 25 people on so that's a non event. FSO one off events for squads. P39 is a hanger queen, was always going to be. I don't mind taking any high eny plane up in late war arena, but the 39 is wrecked by it's non existent rear view. A plane that's likely to get picked on from every direction you at least need excellent visibility for increased SA to make up for it's lack of performance in other areas.

<S>...-Gixer

With all due respect Gixer, the 39 is no where near the hanger queen you describe.  Like any of the aircraft in this game it takes time to get a bit of a following behind them.  Several pilots love her and several squads use her regularly in missions and fighter sweeps.  Check out my post in the general discussion forum.  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,237518.0.html
If visibility to the rear is a deciding factor for new planes, we might as well dump just about every American carrier plane we have in the inventory. You factor the good points with the bad, and it really is a great little plane in it's performance envelope.  Also of note is the B25.  It was being called a hanger queen almost immediately upon it's introduction, now it is not at all uncommon to see them performing their role and performing it well in the LWA's.

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
the P39D is in this upcoming FSO tonight. With out that we would only have the F4F as a fighter. And it dose fill a gap in EW more then MW.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 02:23:55 PM »
faster,smaller,same armarment

AFAIK Yak-3 isn't faster than Yak-9U. The latter has VK-107 while WWII Yak-3 has VK-105. I don't have access to any primary source material right now but I just don't see how it could be faster considering there is roughly 200hp difference in power. Allthough Yak-3 does have ~2,5 sq m smaller wing area. Wikipedia lists 417mph at altitude for the Yak-9U (which is in agreement with AH Yak-9U) and Yak-3 at 401mph. I would suspect that the difference on the deck is similar or smaller than 16mph. But I really don't see how Yak-3 could really be faster than Yak-9U. The wing loadings and power loadings are also very close to each other. So I really don't see what Yak-3 would bring to the table that Yak-9U doesn't have already. Not that I have anything against it's inclusion either...
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline QRS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »
The Yak-3 was a significantly better performer than the Yak -9 in Fighter Ace 1.5, 2.0 & 2.5 as well as in WarBirds. 

Though my experience is somewhat limited, I would say that it would be a great addition to Aces High.

According to Wilkipedia it entered service in 1944.

QRS

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
Yes and who are the idiots that wanted the P39? An obvious candidate for hanger queen if ever I saw one. Did anyone actually think about what the aircraft would be like.. Perf,visibility etc before voting for it?

<S>...-Gixer

<S>...-Gixer

Early and Mid are just somewhere to fly with more safety. You don't like to go up against late war fighters with your high eny plane. Personally I prefer nothing more then shooting down top tier and perk rides with a Yak T, anything else just seems a bit too easy.

<S>...-Gixer

:rofl
Gixer, you really slay me.  You complain that they added a hanger queen, but by your own admission your favorite ride is also a hanger queen.

We usually have to wait for the Snailusche to get stats, but I couldn't resist . . .

We do not have access to total sorties or time in flight data, but we do have access to total kills and deaths, which can be used as an approximation of use.

Late war arena, tour 100 (i.e. the May 2008 tour just completed)

Ride Kills Deaths Total(use) %use

P-39Q 1507 2270 3777 0.26%
Yak9T 1696 1560 3223 0.22%

So what kind of idiot ever wanted the Yak 9T added?

Oh, and since you said it was your primary ride, I looked your stats up . . . and  :eek: you make up about 15% of the Yak 9T's total use.   :O

Ride Kills Deaths Total(use) %use

P-39Q 1507 2270 3777 0.26%
Gixer9T 383 107 490 0.03%
Other9T 1280 1453 2733 0.19%

If you use the P-39Q's usage in the late war arena as the standard at which all other planes are teh suk and should never have been added, here are the other planes that should never have been added (in descending order of usage):

P-40E
Ki-61
109G-2
190F-8
M-16
Jeep
Yak9-T
B-25C
P-47-D11
109F-4
Spit XIV
Hurri I
Chute (2326 kills to zero deaths :rofl)
P-38G
Ki-67
Hurri 2D
Spit I
P-39D
JU-87
SBD-5
P-40B
Boston
F4F-4
Gunner (549 kills, 651 deaths :huh)
SdKfz 251
B5N2 (Yes, the plane with no forward firing gun)
Ar 234
110C-4b
109E-4
C202
D3A1
ME-163b

Total "usage" of planes designated as "hanger queens" in the LWA is almost exactly 5%.  One of every 20 kills or deaths is by someone having fun with one of these "hanger queen" rides.

And if I wanted to be cute and add the 39Q and 39D together to get a total 39 use of .38%, then other "hanger queens" that would make the list are:

LVTa2
TBM-3
109G-6
F4U-1
F4U-4
LA-5
A6M2
Ta-152
P-47-D25

These make up another 3.3% of "use", bringing total hanger queens to 8.3% of all kills and deaths.  That is fairly substantial in my book.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
E25280,

I accept the point that your making, and impressed that you took the time to go over the stats for your argument.   :aok

Plus Yak T stats are interesting as I've never looked at them before.

Anyway couple points though.

1. Yak T has been in the plane set since the very first days of AH, the subject is about new rides being added after being asked for by the community and then ending up as hanger queens. My main gripe is that people are asking for new planes,buffs,gv's taking time away from the more important task of updating the old set which is left wanting and seriously needs upgrading to AH2 levels. How many years is it now since AH2 as they slowly grind through the plane set at a snails pace doing the upgrades. You can have any plane,buff,gv you want just finish the upgrades first.

2. People over look the yaks because they wrongly think it doesn't have enough ammo to make up for their poor gunnery, which it doesn't so you actually have to take your time and learn to shoot. Then if they do look at Yaks they immediately go for the U and think of the T as an attack plane for base defence killing soft skin GV's. No idea why as I prefer it overall compared to the U especially just for it's armament. So I guess that must make me some kind of freak...  :lol

3. From your own stats as they are descending order of usage, you prove that the P39 is a hanger queen, it's the latest aircraft that everyone voted for and it's already down there with the Spit I and gets less kills then chutes. Now imho if everyone is voting for a new plane to be added and vote for it, why aren't they flying it? Except for whats been mentioned about FSO and early arenas, which over a month is a tiny amount of usage.

Lastly don't ever compare perk rides in a list of "real" aircraft! It's insulting to those of us that actually have the skill and balls to take these planes up in the LW and do well in them. Compared to those that lack either and have to use perk rides to make up for it.  :D

Good post though enjoyed reading it.  :salute

<S>...-Gixer

Offline GrimCH

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »
YAK-3
i was just wandering if it was on the list! i remember it was voted on and i thought it got third place, behid the B-25 and the P-39
4848 were built during the war and it was one of the best fighter's the russians had!

The A-26 was in 3rd place...still hoping we get it. :rock
GR!M
(MotleyCH Tour 66 thru 100)
=S= 68KO
364th MotleyAces/CH