Author Topic: How many rounds?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
How many rounds?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
If you're looking at damage graphics on a plane as an indication of bullet hits, you also have to take into account that all "shown" damage is to the top surfaces only, irregardless of where you've been hit.

I took a B-25 in the T/A through base ack to see how many holes I could get in it.  Lots on the top, where you wouldn't expect to see them from ground fire, and none  on the underside.

So, is the graphics of damage modeled as "bullet hits here, put hole here" or "bullet hits wing, put a random hole in the wing?"

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
How many rounds?
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »
I personally think the graphic that was posted is misleading.  Just glancing at it, it looks like catastophic damage should have occurred.

But then you need to look at things ina different perspective.  Those are .50 cal hits, and are spread all over the place.  .50 cals are 1/2 inch diameter, and wouldn't be expected to damage a huge area, but rather poke a hole through the part it hits.  If it hits something substantial, it would do more than that, but it's not like these are cannon rounds.

What diameter are the hit sprites?  Not knowing the size specs on the 110, I would hazard a guess that they appear to be 10-12 inches across.  I would NOT expect the .50 cal round to damage the whole 10-12 inch diameter circle, but rather a little pin-salamander in the center of each sprite.

The graphic makes it appear that 4 hits in a row could cut off the wingtip.  I would really hope this isn't the case, and I'm relieved to see "proof" like this that it ISN'T enough damage.  It looks like two hits might be able to take off the entire nose!

Pilot wound?  Yea, maybe- depending on the armor (of which I have no clue) and the exact location of the pilot.

I'd be more willing to concede damage to the right elevator, or engine damage.  Then again, those ARE just 1/2" diameter holes, and nothing near the size the sprites show...

The .50's are neutered?  LOL, hardly!  Learn to get close and hit at convergence, and you'll be amazed at how effective they are.  They're my #1 choice day in and day out.  Sure, the 20mm's are nice, but I hardly feel handicapped with the .50's, and actually prefer them in many situations.  The situation you were in would actually be one of the times I'd prefer the 20mm's though, because a few scattered hits may be all you can get, and you really need them to be enough to get the job done...

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
How many rounds?
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
Sawed a wing off a P-47 once with a half-second burst of .50cal at 200yds, right at my convergence range. The Ma Deuce is definitely not neutered.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
How many rounds?
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »
I just watched the vid, and ive been in this situation more than once softail I seen more than 20 of those hits that would have had me in the tower. a .50 round hitting an aluminum aircraft doesnt just poke a clean little 1/2 inch hole in it especially from the front. Those front hits especially around the cockpit would have killed that pilot outright not a slow bleedout and a .50 round once it hits the front of that 110 would have started a catastrophic tumble tearing out everything in its path. I see alot of excuses being posted here that dont hold water the damage model needs serious work cause its far from an accurate account of what would truly happen.

good post softail i been wanting to see if it was only my B-24 bullets that seem to have no afftect.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
How many rounds?
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
Originally posted by smokey23
Those front hits especially around the cockpit would have killed that pilot outright not a slow bleedout and a .50 round once it hits the front of that 110 would have started a catastrophic tumble tearing out everything in its path.

God I hope youre joking.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner