Author Topic: Phase 3--Family Room remodel started Saturday  (Read 879 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Phase 3--Family Room remodel started Saturday
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
BTW, pay attention to that big sticker on your Dish receiver (if it's a DVR). I moved mine without unplugging it and now the hard drive makes angry sounds and refuses to record anything.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
It's a great time to lock in LePaul. Do it! :aok

I was quoted 5.25% /30 years last week.  Waiting to see if the latest cut brings it down a bit more.  I may wait til March....I don't know....anyone got a crystal ball?   :)

If I can cut the payment $300-$400 a month, THEN I can finally start the home improvements I had envisioned when I bought the place!  :aok

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 12:51:51 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Ianyone got a crystal ball?   :)

I have only one of those magic 8 balls. It keeps saying "no". It's not like I wanna get jiggy wid it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
Hey Rip, at first I was kinda iffy about the tile around the fireplace. But you know, after looking at it a second time..it really works! The Mrs has a good eye!

Me likey!  

Looks good, got the sauna done yet? My thong is just aching to get worn!

RTR
The Damned

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
Thanks Iron. I'm pretty secure here..and I retire in 11 years. We're planning on making this our retirement house until we can't go up and down stairs anymore. :)

No need to leave the house...

Home Elevator

or

Stairlifts

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »
Originally posted by RTR
Hey Rip, at first I was kinda iffy about the tile around the fireplace. But you know, after looking at it a second time..it really works! The Mrs has a good eye!

Me likey!  

Looks good, got the sauna done yet? My thong is just aching to get worn!

RTR

The spa is usable. They didn't finish it yesterday as I hoped, but they made it usable for the SB party. The items left are the decorative 4" of tile around the inside lip of the pool and clean up.  The landscaping isn't finished yet either, that's my project for this spring, or whether it gets above 45 degrees, whichever comes first!

You're welcome anytime to take a dip, just keep the thong at home please.

LOL Stringer...there are days I feel as if I need one of those...:p :rofl

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 10:13:55 AM »
Looks good Rip. But I can still see wires at the TV.  :p
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Do you like the colors? The wife was the picker of the tile on the floor and the granite around the fireplace...I wanted to stay with red oak around the fireplace and bookshelves so that was my decision..Red Oak it will be back in style again one day ;)

Yes, I do like the colors. Nice picks :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 10:34:37 AM »
Hey Rip,

Over the mantle, the molding doesn't go to the ceiling and leaves a weird space. Whats the plan for that area?
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »
2 comments, beyond "nice job!"

1.  Let us know how it works out having the tv mounted up so high...  I don't think I could live with that.  My neck/back is bad enough without having to look up at the tv.

2.  Consider darkening the color of the wall in the tv cubby.  As it is now, you have a generally dark wall with the cabinetry, a dark tv, and a bright halo around the tv.  That's gonna mess with the ability of your eyes to adjust to the picture on the tv.  You may end up with a loss of contrast perception at low brightness levels, because any light reflecting from the lighter color around the tv will effectively gain down what you see on the tv or distract you from the picture.  Low intensity indirect ambient lighting is a good thing when watching tv, but your indirect lighting is all in your field of view when watching tv.  having the lighting come from the sides, behind, with only very very dim lighting sources directly in front of the view is better.

My impression is that I'd get a headache, eye strain, and sore neck from the tv placement and light color surrounding the tv in the cubby it's mounted in.  Maybe it looks different in real life, but that's my initial impression.

Otherwise though, it looks good :)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 11:55:54 AM »
Originally posted by REP0MAN
Hey Rip,

Over the mantle, the molding doesn't go to the ceiling and leaves a weird space. Whats the plan for that area?

I think he mentioned that he has indirect lighting up there, so it's supposed to be like that.  I think it's a good way to add indirect lighting, although having it all in the field of view while watching tv might be a bit distracting since the tv is mounted up high so the viewers will have their head and eyes tilted up towards the lights all the time.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
Originally posted by REP0MAN
Hey Rip,

That is intentional as there is rope lighting up there, it casts a halo effect onto the celing, like a theater.