Author Topic: This should NEVER happen in Highschool sports!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
This should NEVER happen in Highschool sports!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »
Originally posted by RTHolmes
in the UK it used to be compulsory for all school kids to do sport for at least one afternoon a week, not sure if thats the case anymore but I believe that will happen again soon as we have a developing problem with diabetes and childhood obesity (sound familiar?)

Schools have their own teams and compete in various leagues and competitions, talented kids will generally join a local club as well to progress to County and National level. My school wasn't a sports school at all, but we still had several competitive teams for each school year in all the main sports. eg. 4 cricket teams from about 120 6th formers.

I attended a prep school for 2 years that was supposed to be modeled after a British school sports were required each of the three terms. There were exceptions, such as if the student participated in drama, or was a manager on a team, also 6th From students only had to participate in one sport during the year.

I think the main reason the school had this requirement was to make the student's college applications look better.

I think that it did introduce alot of athletes to sports, and they benefited from it, as , for the most part, the teams were not expected to be very competitive.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Re: This should NEVER happen in Highschool sports!
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »
Originally posted by Orgazmo
Then one night we went totally nuts at a frat party and threw a keg smacking a kid in the head.

TC: The charge was dropped. The state did not agree that there was any evidence that any guy had dropped a keg to injure Mr. Engle.

http://florida.scout.com/2/362337.html

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
I would remind you, that not everyone who gets' a degree gets' a job. Just the same as pro sports, maybe without the same amount's of failure. But I know many people with degrees' that had to retrain. [/B]

About 2% D1 football players get a professional contract. If 98% of my students were unable to get a job in their chosen profession, I'd get fired.

Instead our football coach makes more in a month than I make in a year. Of course I can't get 100,000 people to pay 100 bucks each to watch me teach a class either.

The point is big time college football ain't about teaching students (like it should be at the HS level). It's about the university making a ton of money by providing mass entertainment.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
Originally posted by myelo
About 2% D1 football players get a professional contract. If 98% of my students were unable to get a job in their chosen profession, I'd get fired.

Instead our football coach makes more in a month than I make in a year. Of course I can't get 100,000 people to pay 100 bucks each to watch me teach a class either.

The point is big time college football ain't about teaching students (like it should be at the HS level). It's about the university making a ton of money by providing mass entertainment.

A good number of college level athletes even in D1 know they will not play professionally. They go so they can play a sport they love and get a free education. There are reasons why the NCAA has standards on the behavior of athletes, such as making sure they take, and attend a certain number of classes, so that when they finish school they have a degree to rely on.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
I dont see anything wrong with it. Maybe the F-bombs could be held back a bit, but slapping helmets? I dont think it hurt them. Another year for some of these guys and they could be in combat. I dont think he should have tackled the kid though. Thats no way to lead.

~AoM~