Author Topic: Pilot schools in FL...  (Read 354 times)

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
Pilot schools in FL...
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
Im looking into going to school to become a pilot.  Its a major passion of mine, something ive always dreamed of.  All my life ive always wanted to be a pilot, i attempted to go to the Air Force Academy.  Had 4.0 GPA, everything, but i had exercise endused ashma so that automatically eliminated me.  

I recently moved to Kissimmee, Florida and i was wondering if anyone in the AH community knew where a good flight school is around the Orlando area.

Any help would be great, thanks!

<>
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Emery Riddle is one of the best it's in Daytona.. However it's more of a university.

I dunno about Orlando but I know there are a few smaller flight schools here in Daytona and one or two in Cocoa/ Rockledge area which arent' too far from Orlando. I think there is a school in Sanford too.
"strafing"

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
It's Embry-Riddle, and it not more like a university, it is a university.

If you want a career in aviation you can't go wrong with Embry-Riddle. It is one of the most respected names in the avaition community.

If you are looking for just flight training there are many schools in Florida.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:21:01 AM »
Flight Safety is down that way too

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:59:55 AM »
If you want to fly just for the sake of flying do NOT go to Riddle or FlightSafety.

The answer to your question will be different based on this question:

What do you want to do?

Do you want to be a private pilot and have the privilege to fly yourself and friends around?  Do you want to fly professionally?  If it's the former then there are much better routes that make much more economic sense than Riddle or FSI, which are both geared to professional aviation and are two of the most expensive options going.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:17:07 AM »
I went to Florida Inst. of Tech, I received a good training there. They are pricy.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Hawk78th

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »
Orlando Executive Airport has a couple of Pilot's  shools... Easy  commute for ya too
JHawk  (in Game)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »
CofnCrnr is an instructor...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 68bigtex

• Zinc Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
Yeah Go to Riddle and get the "Riddle Run Around” while putting yourself so deep in debt, you can’t get out. Riddle is a joke!  Riddle is losing it credibility in the aviation community.  The aviation programs were once the best in the nation now the administration, lack of caring instructors and over priced tuition is making this school go down hill.  Been here a year it’s not worth it.  I DON’T RECOMMEND IT! Lots of other great schools in the area.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
Most people that go to Embry Riddle would most likely really enjoy being a volunteer fireman hehehe
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »
I originally, like all younger kids, wanted to be a Fighter pilot in the Air Force..

But since thats not gonna happen...

Im looking into be a private pilot, fly CEOs and what not around the country, or be an Airlines pilot...
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »
Step 1 get a 4 year degree in something other than aviation.

Step 2 earn your ratings quickly as possible spending the least amount of money.  This is tricky because its very easy to spend lots of money.

At the moment the regional airlines are hiring gangbusters and theres a general shortage of pilots with most places that are considered stepping stone jobs.  Charter operators, cargo outfirs and regionals are taking as many folks they can get their hands on who can get through an initial training event.  Not the easiest thing you'll ever do but something you will eventually need to be prepared for.

Entry level pay sucks.  This is coming up in the charter world and will probably continue to do so because they have to retan their people.  One company offered me $30k to fly a light jet in Jan '07 which I turned down.  They haven't been able to hire to keep up with attrition and I got a cold call around Xmas time to fly the same plane for $45k which is where it needed to be anyway.  I still turned it down for a better offer in a midsize airplane for more money and a much better quality of life.

Point is the market is good now but it doesn't stay that way.  Aviation is notorious for its feast or famine times and its usually a 10 year cycle.  Its an uncertain world with high oil prices, terrorists and a shaky economy which aren't  things that make aviation prosper.

If you go the airline route initially it can be very difficult to make the jump to corporate flying because you lose almost all your networking capabilities on the road.  You don't meet people in FBOs or  see the same destinations as business jet operators.  The good news is its not impossible...just difficult.  I did it but had a couple years corporate and charter experience to bring to the table.  Also the regionals are going to get better.  It really isn't a bad job once you get past the horrendous year 1 pay ($23/hr at my airline) which can be better or worse at others.  ASA just signed a new contract that with any luck will set thr bar for the rest of the airlines and with several regionals in contract negotiations now we should see some improvements in the not terribly distant future.

There are lots of options out there but the best thing for you to do is decide what kind of pilot you want to be and be that kind of pilot.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »
sorry for spelling...typing on a PDA and don't have tiny fingers.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Pilot schools in FL...
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I agree with you 100% golfer.  Especially in "Step 1".  Make getting your degree your top priority.  It is going to be the most valuable rating you could have in aviation.  Everyone will tell you how its such a great fall back, and you will learn new skills which is absolutely true, but theres one thing they always leave out.  It's just a really fun part of your life that you can only truely experience in your late teens/early twenties.  If you want to do this for a career, than remember you have your whole life to fly airplanes.  However the window for you to live in a dorm, drink a lot of beer and try and get laid every night really starts to close after about 24...at least for most people hehe.

just go to college, have a blast and do some flying on the side.  You could easily get your CFI by your junior, if not senior year, and depending on how much you instruct, potentially be able to go straight into an entry level job.  Who knows what will happen in four years, but like golfer said, there is a shortage, and if you look at the cost of fuel, airplane rentals and insurance, I just cant see this field being stimulated anytime soon.  You are going to see a mass exodus before a mass entrance if you ask me.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group