Author Topic: Raf Night Bombing  (Read 415 times)

Offline Walter Kurtz

• Zinc Member
Raf Night Bombing
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »
Greetings all...

I am new to the group and am wondering if there are any Lancaster / halifax squads out there?  I am an old member of the Virtual 8th Air Force group that used to play Flying Fortress the mighty eighth several years ago.  I am looking for a group to fly with that goes out on night raids in Lancasters.  I do not enjoy flying the bombers as much as I love to navigate and play the part of the bomb aimer.

Is there a place for me in Aces high?  

Thanks and I hope we can fly together sometime.

Fred.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but there is neither night or a Halifax in AH.  

Good luck.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:14:53 AM »
furby! when are you coming back?!?

hi there walter. for starters, welcome to AH :)

night is not currently setup in the MA (there is night in AH, it's just that the main arenas don't use it, too many people whine about not being able to see! :)

there's no halifax, but lancs are included in AH and play a large role as a heavy buff.

there are no dedicated lanc squad that i know of, atleast no well known or large ones. in AH as a bomber pilot, you control everything, not just the flying. you need to navigate, man the gun turrets for defense, do the bombsite calibration and bomb drop etc.

there are however a number of buff squads. i suggest you start your search there. most of them will be american 8th AF based squads, but they are a good place to get started in AH. if you're still interested in a lancaster squad, you could always start one up after a while. :)

so if you're into bombers, you should have plenty to do and should enjoy it :) have you created an account yet? if not, there's a 2 week free trial with no credit card info needed, so you can try AH and see what you think.

learning curve is steep, much steeper than the arcade games you played before, so expect the game to be pretty hard for the first few weeks. hooking up with a good buff squad will help you learn what to do a lot faster. good luck mate!

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Walter Kurtz

• Zinc Member
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »
How about the navigation...is it all dead reconing or are there navigation aids like Gee h2s etc?

I see that there are moquitos in the game...maybe a pathfinder or harassment raid or two.....?

Fred.

Offline chase4

• Copper Member
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
we have a "GPS" system in-game just press and you will see yourself represented as a small plane icon.  Once you start playing the game proper you will realize that AH is one of a kind.  I think you would really fit into a squad that has dedicated squad nights and such.  

and enjoy the game

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
fred the most we can tell you is that this game is well worth the investment, of a 14.95 a month. not that much considering that HTC constantly upgrades and brings in new planes. like right now they are redoing the LA7 and LA5 and they are bringing in the P-39Q and the P-39D.

when you create a account and start flying with Aces High you can create all kinds of missions. lots of people do it. missions is where you put together a plan and post it for the whole country to see it and see how many of your country men will join. missions are fun and are directed by the mission creator.

so stop wasting time and create an account already
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
we have a map with an icon that shows where you are. you can use the GPS style map or use your compasses and other instruments.

create an account and see for yourself! it's totally free, download, account, everything.

you have nothing to lose:aok

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
Raf Night Bombing
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
I've been around AH for about a month and can report to you that some of the best players are also the most patient and helpful to new players.  While there is some newbie prejudice that is present on all computer activites, those people can easily be ignored.  By far, the players I have encountered drop the bias against newbies if you ask questions about how to do something instead of mucking it up for those around you, and listen to the more vocal veterans who will tell you what to do without you asking.  

There is plenty of room in this game for heavy bomber pilots so join up and get in the action. You will probably find that driving a tank, spoiling someones day in a flak, or joining a NOE mission in a Jug might be fun for you too.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom