Author Topic: Ho or not  (Read 429 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Ho or not
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
This is made up but based on something that did happen.

You merge and both do immelmans or frankly any complete turn. You are confronted with a shot on someone who is still 20-30 degrees away from getting their guns to bare. You shoot score hits and he explodes.

Guess what you get on 200? and why?

I think the game is full of Hoeing dweebs. You know who they are cos they are always complaining about hoing dweebs.

It may sound ike I am complaining about hoing dweebs but actually if you look carefully I am complaining about people complaneing cos they got shot down ;) :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re: Ho or not
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:37:34 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles

You merge and both do immelmans or frankly any complete turn. You are confronted with a shot on someone who is still 20-30 degrees away from getting their guns to bare. You shoot score hits and he explodes.

I think the game is full of Hoeing dweebs. You know who they are cos they are always complaining about hoing dweebs.

It may sound ike I am complaining about hoing dweebs but actually if you look carefully I am complaining about people complaneing cos they got shot down ;) :D

(Applogies I didntmean to quote myself)

Someone tried to shoot my lancs down on the runway the other day in a 262. I ended the sortie just as he hit the ack. The ack got him and I got the kill. If it had gone the other way fair play. We are all confronted by the same rules and their are plenty of opportunities to be dishonourable, sneeky or underhanded. No one really gets hurt though.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Re: Ho or not
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »
(...)  No one really gets hurt though.

I do.

At the end of eacht tour, my wife examines my k/d. If it falls short of her expectations, I get a beating.
(Do I have to say she pays my account?)

:cry
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »

In a 1v1 i try very hard to NOT take that shot and work for something behind the 3-9 line, with the exception of snapshots.  

Now if we both are trying to get our noses around first, and as i am working for the 3-9 and back shot, he takes a front quarter shot, then all bets are off.  I'll still work for that 3-9 shot but alot of times when your near stall speed, as soon as you give up your shot, your setting yourself up to be hit.  In my mind, i figure, why should i let myself get shot down by trying to be "noble".

In a 2 or more vs 1, I'm starting more and more to take any shot i can.  What's been happening lately is that as soon as i give up a HO on one guy, and work for a 6 shot, someone else will jump in and pick me.  

It's rare and i don't expect it in the MA, but to me the most fun is when i get into a 1v1 fight, where my opponent is working to outfly me. Becauses that's how i fly.  Win or lose those fights are the best.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Ho or not
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:37:24 AM »
In a large furball pretty much anything goes, but if I get into a 1-on-1 or a 2-on-2 then I'll try not to take the HO shot. However, if I see that they guy I'm fighting is coming in for the HO shot then I'll let off a short burst at 1.5K and immelman at 1.0K. If it's a 3-on-1 or more (like the fight I had this morning, 5-on-1) then I'll take anything they give me. HO shot, quick snapshot, six o'clock, etc. anything to kill them all and land the kills.

Oh and on that 5-on-1 I shot down 3 of them before they got my wing. had 6 kills total, 3 before the fight and 3 during the fight. :D

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Ho or not
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »
I only consider it a HO if you fire on the first pass before any ACM have been attempted. Once you get into the knife fight you should take whatever shot you can get and, if you happen to get HOd, so be it.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »

Performing that tight double immelman with a cannon plane such as a hurri2C is a risky maneuver unless u know you can get the tighter turn on the return.  I consider that shot slightly cheap, but not a HO, mind u, because it could have been a fun fight with someone who would like to tangle and it was ended with a quick cannon vomit.  However, it is quite a legit shot, in my book, and I usually just tell myself I’m an idiot for letting it happen.  Also, if that shot is taken by a player who is outnumbered or presented with the possibility of being outnumbered, then good for them.  Actually, as far as I’m concerned, a pure HO is fair in that situation.  Gotta save ur pixels at any price…  

Oh yeah, and the whiners are usually the perpetrators or really good players who are frustrated and just get fed up.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
yarbles
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »
I'm with you on this my squaddie , It seems lately I've had many a fight where we give a nice pass then get into it for some great ACM , aside from the fact that I get flamed alot the action as of late has been good to all members of this exciting game, with not much hoeing going on .
 As for you Lusche you must be under a great amount of pressure because everyone knows if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy :D  so Lusche this my to you for great play under pressure award .

As Always A Nutte
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Ho or not
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »
Originally posted by LilMak
I only consider it a HO if you fire on the first pass before any ACM have been attempted. Once you get into the knife fight you should take whatever shot you can get and, if you happen to get HOd, so be it.

Well HO is Head On, so if both planes are flying towards each others the it's considered a HO to me.

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Ho or not
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »
I faced someone last night in a 109f vs N1k1, I had about 5k alt vs his 10k or so.

First merge he dove on me, i was sure a Ho, nothing. 2-3 turns he could of easily ho'd me dead, but seems like he was intended on getting on my 6, anyway I shot him down and never got an answer why he "didnt" ho, anyhow was definally a blast yet relief that not EVERYONE in a n1k has to ho. He could of easily out flown me and won.