Author Topic: Analysis Needed  (Read 368 times)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Analysis Needed
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
Here's some more duels I had, and I would appreciate any anyalsis given on any of them/ tips or things you saw that I could have done better or shouldn't have done at all.

Thank you.

Duel 6 (Please look at this one first as it's one that I lost.  I usually can follow someone through a scissors, but I'm not that great at starting one and finishing it, and even if I didn't auger at the end agent would have ended up on my six.  Now I know its going to be hard to shake someone that close, especially agent:D , but if I didn't auger, what could my next move be to give me a chance?  Try another revolution of the scissors or what?).

http://www.mediafire.com/?8eckyn1rbkl

Duel 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?5cfmhpem0gx
Duel 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?33nxmmz3002
Duel 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?dus2icybxzp
Duel 4
http://www.mediafire.com/?avlagxtbdde
Duel 5
http://www.mediafire.com/?a1mmvn3nedk

Thanks,
donkey
2sBlind

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Analysis Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
Looked like he did a better job of controlling his E. If you hadn't started the flower bed...he would have had guns on you with the next rev.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Analysis Needed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
I only looked at duel 6 so far, not sure when I'll look at the rest (28K dial-up here).

For starters- Agent showed you his cards on the merge, and you could have simply gone straight about 800-1000 yards and then gone up, trying for a rope.  Agent would not have had enough E to follow you up, and had he tried, (he wouldn't have- too experienced...) he'd have been dead almost right away.  Had he decided to not follow you up, you'd have been left with the high ground, with him lower and slower.  You'd have had several options at that point.

A more aggressive approach that I love to use in this situation, is to chop power hard (briefly) and simply pull onto and latch onto his six at 16 seconds into the film.  At about 14.5-15 seconds in he tells you through his maneuver that this tactic will work.  He can't see you at that point (16 seconds in) and is looking for you out of his high six view.  If you pull hard onto his six, you just won't show up where he expects you to, hehe.  He'll flip through his views after a second or two, and find you on his six if he isn't dead by then.  If he's not dead by then, he's going to be in a bad position, and be entirely defensive.

Agent's merge was a dangerous one to try against someone who's paying attention.

As it was, he made it obvious that he was going to try to get you to turn, and you were kind enough to play along.  He got an early jump on the angles game, which gave him an advantage since you went along with it, and then he controlled his speed through your rolling scissors.  You were faster than him, which makes it hard to get him to overshoot, and easy for him to follow.  In his case, he had plenty of speed to maneuver, and since you were trying to get behind him he really didn't need much to keep up.  Had you not augered, and continued as you were doing- he'd have been patient, stayed in lag pursuit, and ended up on your six at about D200 I'm guessing.

I'd say that IMO, the scissors was not a good move to use here.  You were faster than him, and should have tried some different tactics to turn that E advantage into an angles advantage.  You basically went defensive when you didn't need to.  That's going to be a tough battle to win.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Analysis Needed
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
Originally posted by mtnman
I only looked at duel 6 so far, not sure when I'll look at the rest (28K dial-up here).

For starters- Agent showed you his cards on the merge, and you could have simply gone straight about 800-1000 yards and then gone up, trying for a rope.  Agent would not have had enough E to follow you up, and had he tried, (he wouldn't have- too experienced...) he'd have been dead almost right away.  Had he decided to not follow you up, you'd have been left with the high ground, with him lower and slower.  You'd have had several options at that point.

A more aggressive approach that I love to use in this situation, is to chop power hard (briefly) and simply pull onto and latch onto his six at 16 seconds into the film.  At about 14.5-15 seconds in he tells you through his maneuver that this tactic will work.  He can't see you at that point (16 seconds in) and is looking for you out of his high six view.  If you pull hard onto his six, you just won't show up where he expects you to, hehe.  He'll flip through his views after a second or two, and find you on his six if he isn't dead by then.  If he's not dead by then, he's going to be in a bad position, and be entirely defensive.

Agent's merge was a dangerous one to try against someone who's paying attention.

As it was, he made it obvious that he was going to try to get you to turn, and you were kind enough to play along.  He got an early jump on the angles game, which gave him an advantage since you went along with it, and then he controlled his speed through your rolling scissors.  You were faster than him, which makes it hard to get him to overshoot, and easy for him to follow.  In his case, he had plenty of speed to maneuver, and since you were trying to get behind him he really didn't need much to keep up.  Had you not augered, and continued as you were doing- he'd have been patient, stayed in lag pursuit, and ended up on your six at about D200 I'm guessing.

I'd say that IMO, the scissors was not a good move to use here.  You were faster than him, and should have tried some different tactics to turn that E advantage into an angles advantage.  You basically went defensive when you didn't need to.  That's going to be a tough battle to win.

MtnMan

Thanks MtnMan, that precisely the kind of thing I was looking for!  After reviewing that one film many times I see how the getting myself into that scissors was a bad idea, as it was just a matter of time before I ended up in front of agent, or in this case into the ground:D ).  Like you said, it would have been better for me to use my greater energy state to keep on top of agent and then play my game, working until I gained angels.  

I can somewhat picture the chopping throttle and getting in on his six, but I still picture shooting by him horizontally to quickly, and gaining to much horizontal seperation before I could even react to try and pull that off, but if I ever see that again, I'll give it a try and see what happens.  

Thanks for the analysis!

donkey
2sBlind

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Analysis Needed
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
The timing on chopping the throttle and yanking onto his six is pretty difficult to judge at first.  It took me a while to figure it out too. I died a lot at first trying it.

It's a great move when done right though.  You pretty much need to approach the merge looking for it, and instantly decide to go for it or not.  There's no time to think about it, that's for sure!  I don't really think about  it, I just instantly jump at it when I come across it.  Like a reflex-type reaction I guess.  For some reason I think I may have even done it against Agent a time or two.  It'll only work if your opponent pulls up before he passes you, and you don't have way too much speed to pull it off.

The fast instantaneous turn of the F4U (my normal ride) and its ability to slow down rapidly may play a large role in my success with it too.  I haven't tried it in a P38.

The zoom through the merge and go up tactic is a much easier to master tactic.  Just don't pull up so sharply that you bleed your own E and give him a corner to cut across.

Dictate the fight, don't follow your opponents lead.  If you follow his lead, you're a step behind him mentally.  If he shows you how he wants to fight, just say "Nah, we're gonna do it this way" and make him adjust to YOUR lead.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson