Author Topic: Basic Radar Question  (Read 570 times)

Offline Bosch232

• Zinc Member
Basic Radar Question
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
The spreadsheet included in the "Level Bombing Techniques" write up on the Training Page says that if you knock out radar at an airbase it "Kills field radar in a 12.5 mile radius".

What exactly does that mean?  Does it mean that the green and red dar bars are disabled for those players on that side, in that sector?
"Anything worth doing, is worth OVER doing." ~ Mythbusters

Bosch232 - Pigs On The Wing

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Basic Radar Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »
No.
It just kills the base's radar. (Indicated on map by display of a red ring instead of a white one).
Than means no enemy dots are displayed inside the radar ring any more.  

The darbars are independent from that. To kill them too, you have to destroy a countries HQ, which effectively shuts down all radar features.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Greywolf

• Zinc Member
Like to Add a couple of ???'s
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »
About the the DAR BARS ???The length of ...ratio of how long,to enemy aircraft?
And what does the location on the grid mean? Enemy A/C any where in main grid or are they right where the red bar is? I've flew all around  bar and sometimes never see any cons.....Altitude,Gv's....please help I so confused:huh :confused:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Like to Add a couple of ???'s
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »
Originally posted by Greywolf
And what does the location on the grid mean? Enemy A/C any where in main grid or are they right where the red bar is? I've flew all around  bar and sometimes never see any cons.....Altitude,Gv's....please help I so confused:huh :confused:

The longer the darbar, the more planes are in that grid. But those planes can be anywhere. The bars are just located at the top of each grid. GV's don't produce amy darbar, neither to planes flying <500ft (they don't give any dots on base radar too)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Basic Radar Question
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Originally posted by Bosch232
Training Page says that if you knock out radar at an airbase it "Kills field radar in a 12.5 mile radius".

Well there we have it, wondering why killing field dar has become such a popular pastime for suicide dweebs.

...-Gixer

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Basic Radar Question
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Well there we have it, wondering why killing field dar has become such a popular pastime for suicide dweebs.

...-Gixer
It's even more fun to kill the dar and live.. :)
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Like to Add a couple of ???'s
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
Originally posted by Greywolf

There is no direct correlation to length of dar-bar and # of planes in the sector.  When there's only one plane, you will see the shortest dar-bar, but as numbers increase, it simply shows relative numbers (friend vs foe) of aircraft over 500'.

As Lusche stated, they can be anywhere within the grid square in which they are displayed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bosch232

• Zinc Member
Basic Radar Question
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »
That means no enemy dots are displayed inside the radar ring any more.

Well since my system also suffers from that same one-pixel-size-radar-dot-signature problem that I've read about, I guess it doesn't matter much to me.  I can't see what's going on inside the radar rings anyway, so I guess I'm ALWAYS without radar.  :rolleyes:  

It also explains why I didn't understand the benefit to knocking it out.  Thanks for the info.
"Anything worth doing, is worth OVER doing." ~ Mythbusters

Bosch232 - Pigs On The Wing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Basic Radar Question
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
Originally posted by Bosch232
Well since my system also suffers from that same one-pixel-size-radar-dot-signature problem that I've read about, I guess it doesn't matter much to me.  I can't see what's going on inside the radar rings anyway, so I guess I'm ALWAYS without radar.  :rolleyes:  

It also explains why I didn't understand the benefit to knocking it out.  Thanks for the info.

All radar dots are 1 pixel to my understanding.  At least they are on my machine.  I run 1024x768 native resolution.

As long as you see green and red dots on the map, it's working for you.

You will always see green dots, regardless of whether they are within a radar ring or not, and regardless of altitude (but no dots for GV's).

You will only see red dots when they are over 500' within a white (active) friendly radar ring (again, no dots for GV's), otherwise the best you get is dar-bar.

Losing local radar means the loss of visibility of the red dots within the friendly local radar ring.

Just making sure this is clear.

[EDIT]  There are times you won't see an enemy dot, such as if there are too many friendlies ganging an enemy dot :)  or, in some instances, if a friend and foe are very close in a dogfight, one or the others dot may become obsured by the other.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:01:39 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Basic Radar Question
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:57 PM »
The Insert/Delete keys zoom in/out on the map, Bosch232. You can also grab and drag the map with your mouse and reposition it temporarily until you close the clipboard.