Author Topic: Naval Blockade anyone?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:30:01 PM »
Venezuela Halts Oil Sales to Exxon Mobil

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuela's state oil company said Tuesday that it has stopped selling crude to Exxon Mobil Corp. in response to the U.S. oil company's drive to use the courts to seize billions of dollars in Venezuelan assets.

Exxon Mobil is locked in a dispute over the nationalization of its oil ventures in Venezuela that has led President Hugo Chavez to threaten to cut off all Venezuelan oil supplies to the United States. Venezuela is the United States' fourth largest oil supplier.

Tuesday's announcement by state-run Petroleos de Venezuela SA, or PDVSA, was limited to Exxon Mobil, which PDVSA accused of "judicial-economic harassment" for its efforts in U.S. and European courts.

PDVSA said it "has paralyzed sales of crude to Exxon Mobil" and suspended commercial relations with the Irving, Texas-based company.

"The legal actions carried out by the U.S. transnational are unnecessary ... and hostile," PDVSA said in the statement. It said it will honor any existing contracts it has with Exxon Mobil for joint investments abroad, but reserved the right to terminate them if permitted by the terms of the contracts.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:32:16 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »
Say hello to $5 a gallon gas! 15% of our oil comes from V.

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
So this insane dictator in Venazuela is going to cost me a butt load of money then. I hope some shoots that nut before he starts a damn war.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:49:59 PM »
DO NOT buy Citgo gasoline.

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:50:52 PM »
It's their oil, isn't it?  Why not drill in Alaska, rather than start another war?

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
Originally posted by bsdaddict
It's their oil, isn't it?  Why not drill in Alaska, rather than start another war?

It's not theirs if an American company, found it, drilled, and was exporting it, untill he basically stole it from them and gave it to Citgo (Venazuela'snational oil company)

in all seriousness boycott Citgo. Make the bums go broke and give the assests back to the companies they stole them from.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:53:38 PM »
so who will Venezuela sell it's oil to? oil is sold on the open market so unless Venezuela is going to shut down it's oil wells the oil will go on the open world market and may end up in your tank anyway.

so there:p

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
china

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
Yeah the dictator nationalized it, basically said it's our's now, get out.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
so who will Venezuela sell it's oil to? oil is sold on the open market so unless Venezuela is going to shut down it's oil wells the oil will go on the open world market and may end up in your tank anyway.

so there:p

They can sell it to whoever they want, its all under 1 government controlled company.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
Originally posted by trax1
Yeah the dictator nationalized it, basically said it's our's now, get out.

Yup, now he's pissed that we are giving Venezuelan property in America to a company that he stole from.

I personally would have taken another route, but I'm quite a lot more vindictive.  

I would have burnt to the ground / detonated every oil rig, well and set up that he was trying to steal.  And THEN I would reciprocate the damage onto Venezuelan controlled rigs equal (but not more than) the amount of places he tried to Nationalize.  

Not only would that Communist NOT gain more oil rigs and thus more money, but he'd lose just as much as he would have wished to gain.

Thereafter every time he would whine about it to the World Court / The UN, I would destroy one more location that mines oil in Venezuela.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »
Originally posted by bsdaddict
Why not drill in Alaska,?

Alaska is Russian territory...Putin will not be pleased.  :O :noid

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass
It's not theirs if an American company, found it, drilled, and was exporting it, untill he basically stole it from them and gave it to Citgo (Venazuela'snational oil company)
lol, so it's finders, keepers then?

in all seriousness boycott Citgo. Make the bums go broke and give the assests back to the companies they stole them from.
as zeta pointed out, they'll just sell to China.  IMO the solution is to find an alternative, not start wars over finite resources.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass
They can sell it to whoever they want, its all under 1 government controlled company.

no, they can sell it to whoever will buy it, you have no idea how the oil market works do you.

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

I personally would have taken another route, but I'm quite a lot more vindictive.  

I would have burnt to the ground / detonated every oil rig, well and set up that he was trying to steal.  And THEN I would reciprocate the damage onto Venezuelan controlled rigs equal (but not more than) the amount of places he tried to Nationalize.  

Not only would that Communist NOT gain more oil rigs and thus more money, but he'd lose just as much as he would have wished to gain.

Why bother destroying BILLIONS of dollars worth of infrastructure, and galvanize locals to forever hate America?

Not very smart.

Just overthrow Chavez. Assassinate him.

If he proves resilient to Seal teams spotting him and dropping bombs on his house, like Saddam was, send the Armed Forces in to occupy the country under a WMD/Terror pretext.

If the script ain't broke, don't fix it, that's what I always say.

Exxon-Mobil made more than $400B in *profit* last QUARTER. I'm sure they can afford a few Blackwater guys to laze his house.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:21:48 PM by Dos Equis »