Author Topic: altitude?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
altitude?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »
The old AKpizza map used to have high-alt fields.  Everybody whined about them, but I kinda liked having the deck at 6-8k so that you could fight in different alt bands where the planes perform very differently.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
altitude?
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
Climbing is one of the most boring aspects of this game.  People just dont feel like spending 80% of their time climbing.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Re: altitude?
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 01:23:25 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Fly as high as you wish...you'll always find somebody higher :O

This man speaks the truth.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
altitude?
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:32 AM »
If there were a penalty for dying (say 5 minutes grounded) you'd see everything go up higher.....that said, it's a game. Why not just be IN that much faster.

This is a good idea

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
altitude?
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
I'm afraid of heights.....and I have a short attention span.
Lagger

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
altitude?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 06:22:31 AM »
Originally posted by PanosGR
If there were a penalty for dying (say 5 minutes grounded) you'd see everything go up higher.....that said, it's a game. Why not just be IN that much faster.

This is a good idea

IN an appropriate context, it could work.  In the main arena, it would be poorly accepted at best.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
altitude?
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:18 AM »
Originally posted by sunfan1121
fly with the rooks and youl never have anybody higher than you

Boy thats funny. We always have swarms of Bish and Nit 190s coming in at 15,000' to do the bump and run.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
altitude?
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 07:51:27 AM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
Climbing is one of the most boring aspects of this game.  People just dont feel like spending 80% of their time climbing.

...and to the ones that do. The game wouldn't be near as much fun if it contained "airspawns."
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
altitude?
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »
Originally posted by Ghastly
IN an appropriate context, it could work.  In the main arena, it would be poorly accepted at best.

True. But what if instead of 5 min penalty could be 5 euros penalty, and all fines are to be paid to HTC?:noid

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
altitude?
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
Originally posted by chief33
Oh, i just thought it would be cooler to fly up high because thats how they did in in real dogfights.

Actually many dogfights happened at medium alt or on the deck.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
altitude?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 09:08:32 AM »
I try to be co-alt with enemy when I get to where I'm going.Gives me a chance for a fair fight.Rooks are to be found higher than Bish,it's as simple as that.I've got no problem with that.It does bother me that a lot of high cons choose to dive out at first hint of a fight.I really cherish my high altitude fights with pilots that will fight up high.
IronDog

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
altitude?
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
Originally posted by Shuffler
Actually many dogfights happened at medium alt or on the deck.

I was going to comment that he must be speaking of the Western Front. I'd say most air to air combat took place at medium to low altitude overall.

Offline Captain Proton

• Zinc Member
Re: altitude?
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »
Originally posted by chief33
Hello everyone i have been puzzled over a question and i've finally decided to spring it. Why does almost everyone in aces high fly low or medium altitudes? when almost all the planes preform better at higher altitudes?

It just takes too long to get to high altitude. It's ok if you would rather spend a lot of time climbing and a little time fighting, but much better the other way around.

Proton

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
altitude?
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
Most of the people in here, even the ones that follow the altitude is life rule, usually end up low after a few minutes of combat. You have some that stay high, some that come down at speed for a quick pick, and head back up, but most end up in the mud with the rest of us.

~AoM~

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
altitude?
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »
unless im in a NOE mission when i fly the jug I consider the "deck" to be 15K, only going below that for short periods or under certain circumstances (alone chasing a single CON with non of his buddies around.. etc)

the air below 15 is for emergency use only..  when its time to turn into an anvil and get the hell out of dodge.