Author Topic: altitude?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline chief33

• Zinc Member
altitude?
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
Hello everyone i have been puzzled over a question and i've finally decided to spring it. Why does almost everyone in aces high fly low or medium altitudes? when almost all the planes preform better at higher altitudes?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
altitude?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »
Short distances from take off to the front. Every fighter in trouble can (and will) easily dive to the deck to get seperation, taking the fight further down low. Few, if none, strategic bombing. It often makes little sense to fly at your best altitude, when you are alone up there - Unless you are hunting buffs.

How the specific tactical environment shapens the fight and dictates the engagemen altitudes could be seen about a year ago. When HTC dabbled abit with field capture order and only a very small number of fields were capturable, the fight went up high very quickly over that bases.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline chief33

• Zinc Member
altitude?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
Oh, i just thought it would be cooler to fly up high because thats how they did in in real dogfights.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
altitude?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »
Originally posted by chief33
Oh, i just thought it would be cooler to fly up high because thats how they did in in real dogfights.

Special Events are your friends.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
altitude?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »
Yeah, and thus you had people dive bombing fields who never droped below 10k.

This made people spend 5-10 mins just* to get upto the fight, only to be picked off by even higher alt players. (true to real life, but annoying to the ones being picked.)

Perhaps this is one of the reasons the WW will help bases defend themselfs.
If a Gv can reach out 2.2k that alone will foce people to fly a bit higher over bases, and in turn will force defenders to fly a bit higher to intercept aswell.

Thus, by adding a gv that can "hit" planes at higher alts, should have some form of effect on how planes operate around fields.

Im willing to bet we will see alot more 12-15k jabo runs from then on, and people under 5k probably wont even bother trying to fly over a base defended by WW's, and whats more is someone trying to straff fighters taking off, while a few WW's sit on the runway.

Ither way, it should be interesting to see.

Then again, maby a few p39's and yaks will just end it all. (dunno whats the big deal, we got big guns.).

time will tell.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline chief33

• Zinc Member
altitude?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »
Ok thanks i just wish people would fly higher becasue my p-40 works best at 15k so there are some up there but not to many. Also what does jabo mean? (im a noob)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
altitude?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »
The Ostwind and field guns already have greater effective range than the WW will. Your theory makes no sense whatsoever.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
altitude?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »
Ok thanks i just wish people would fly higher becasue my p-40 works best at 15k so there are some up there but not to many. Also what does jabo mean? (im a noob)

Jabo is the acronym for the German word "Jagdbomber" which means fighter-bomber.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline chief33

• Zinc Member
altitude?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »
ok thanks lusche

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
altitude?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »
I fly low most of the time even though in my case it doesnt really matter i suck in a fighter anyway but being low meens i dont have to fall as far before i meet my doom.:rofl

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: altitude?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
Hello everyone i have been puzzled over a question and i've finally decided to spring it. Why does almost everyone in aces high fly low or medium altitudes? when almost all the planes preform better at higher altitudes?

Fly as high as you wish...you'll always find somebody higher :O

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Re: altitude?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
Why does almost everyone in aces high fly low or medium altitudes? when almost all the planes preform better at higher altitudes?

Because no one wants to take the time to get to altitude. They want their quake fix. Up die reup.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
altitude?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 02:31:38 AM »
fly with the rooks and youl never have anybody higher than you
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
altitude?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
Everone flys low because if you fly high everyone calls you a cherry picking no talent alt monkey dweeb who needs every advantage and taunts you to get off your perch  ;)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
The reality is...
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
Modern times require instant gratification.  Racing to a base at low to med altitude is faster than climbing to 30K, etc....

If there were a penalty for dying (say 5 minutes grounded) you'd see everything go up higher.....that said, it's a game.  Why not just be IN that much faster.

You will be frustrated if you insist on realism (where missions took hours) when you play a video game.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)