Author Topic: P-47M, a perked jug.  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
Why do we need the P-47M?

We don't need the Spitfire F.21.

We don't need the Re.2005

What makes the P-47M so special?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:15:46 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Why do we need the P-47M?

We don't need the Spitfire F.21.

We don't need the Re.2005

What makes the P-47M so special?

why do we have the 51B when we have the D?  

why have the spit 9 when we have the 5, 16.. etc etc..

why do we have the 190 a8 AND F8?

yea, you could use that argument for virtually any plane in the game..

the M is special because it was the BEST P47 produced in terms of raw performance.  its what the -4 is to the corsairs, what the 14 is to the spits..

we had good corsairs, so we got the -4 the fastest corsair.. as a perk plane,..

we had the spitfires, so we got the spit 14, the fastest spit, as a perk plane..

people ***** and cry about people wanting to add "hangar queens" planes that have no hope and competing in the MA..

well here is an addition that Will.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »
Not everyone wants only the late '45 dragsters. There is a great deal that is missing, and I think many would prefer to see the planes that actually faught in numbers, having an effect on the outcome of the war. To me, and I know some others, those missing planes are a loy more interesting than some late war variants of already well represented types that only saw limited action for brief periods.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:20:51 AM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 12:22:25 AM »
I might add, that adding it would take next to nothing as far as time/effort on the part of the developers..(compared to adding most other new rides)  we already have the model for it, a different skin and tweaked FM is about it..

and yea, alot is missing, alot of stuff to scroll past in the hanger really..

I would like to see a Mig3, Lagg, and a few other mid to early war rides added..

but the fact of the matter is they would be for scenario and novelty only..

the M would be very easy to add and would get flown.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »
Originally posted by Wingnutt

You know the answer. And if you dont, well, there not much good trying to explain the answer is going to do for you.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
All those Spitfires fill gaps.  You drop one out, save perhaps the Mk XIV of which 957 were built, and you leave a large gap in the Spitfire's upgrade paths.

P-51B is the same.  Same with the Bf109s.  And F4Us.  And 190s.  And P-38s.

The P-47M fills no gap at all.

Try using some thought rather than just "I want it!"
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
I think the P-47M fills the gap of being the fastest uber jug. We could be lacking an oppurtunity to bring out the Jug's full potential in the MA. For all we know it could be like the new tempest. As fast as it is and with the 8 .50 cals. We could give it a try
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 01:56:28 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I read a story about the P-47M that you may find interesting. I photocopied the story for my archive. The story is attributed to Maj. George Bostwick.

Flying over Britain during a test hop of a P-47M, Bostwick was putting the new fighter through its paces. This was one of the Ms that had its reliability issues fixed and he was checking out a new motor.

At about 10,000 feet, Bostwick found himself flying near a formation of four RAF Tempests. He slid his Jug in alongside and waved. The nearest pilot waved back. Bostwick eased up military power and the P-47 began to pull ahead. Having taken the bait, Black smoke poured out of the exhaust stacks of the Sabre's in the Tempests. All four surged ahead of the P-47. Bostwick let the Tempests pull out ahead about 100 yards. He then pushed up the throttle into WEP. "My Thunderbolt literally leaped forward, quickly overtaking the Tempests. As I rushed past, I gave them a thumbs up." Bostwick then eased back the stick and zoomed up in a climb leaving the Tempest pilots to "wonder what the hell kind of P-47 that was."

A P-47M using 150 octane avgas could pull up to 80" of MAP. State side tests with 44-1 avgas showed a max speed of 381 mph at SL, 411 mph at 10k and 485 mph at 32k. Using this same fuel, a P-47D-22 managed 444 mph using 72" MAP (2,600 hp) at 23,600 feet.

We would not get 150 octane fuel (maybe for a perk in the distant future, but I doubt it). Nonetheless, the P-47M would be a beast in the MA.

Also, more P-47Ms saw combat than did Ta 152s..... Three full squadrons were active over the last month of the war in Europe.

My regards,

Widewing

I think I just made a mess....

As for not needing it or whatever, the Jug was the second most produced aircraft of WWII second to the Liberator. We have 4 whole models of it. The M would make an excellent version to add to the game. How many 3 cannon LA7s were made? The whole "It was super rare so it shouldn't make it into the game" argument is lame. Yeah, I'd love to see a lot of early A/C as well but it would be nice to have a Jug that would compete with other high performance models out there. Most of our fights are down low which was not period correct just as much as 30 163s upping to destroy HQ raids. The M made it into combat so therefore meets the requirements to be added. How many F4U-4s were made? Just because it's not a biplane doesn't mean it shouldn't be added.

This is a game, some of you guys take it WAY too seriously. Yeah it'd be nice if we could all have every plane we wanted or that was made (I still want a Black Widow but not holding my breath).

Plus having an M model Jug would possibly make them a tad more feared (or make the M more surprising when engaged, kinda like a F4U-4)

I'd add it to my list of planes I'd like to see added. And it wouldn't take much to bring it in either, just use an existing Jug frame & remodel the flight characteristics a bit & ta-da, SUPER JUG!!

And the argument about not having one of the Spit models because it would take out part of the chronology could be applied here...
Mudf1y - Gone, but not forgotten.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 02:20:52 AM »
Yep
:D
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »
Originally posted by Wingnutt

yea, you could use that argument for virtually any plane in the game..

the M is special because it was the BEST P47 produced in terms of raw performance.  its what the -4 is to the corsairs, what the 14 is to the spits..

we had good corsairs, so we got the -4 the fastest corsair.. as a perk plane,..

we had the spitfires, so we got the spit 14, the fastest spit, as a perk plane..

people ***** and cry about people wanting to add "hangar queens" planes that have no hope and competing in the MA..

well here is an addition that Will.

Because  it's not all about the LWAs. Also those so called hangar Queens played a larger roll in the war.

If the EWA/MWA had a more filled out plane set more people would fly them.

Edit: I'm not saying it shouldn't be added at some point. There are just more significant ac to be added.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:01:43 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »
Well the Spitties got the Spit Mk. XVI and the XIV
The F4Us got the -4 hog and the -1c hog
Why not let the P-47s have the P-47M super jug??
It could be perked and it would be a great plane to fly. Going like 475 mph, man thats outstanding for a prop plane. I think the only plane that could outrun that would be a  tempest (could it out run a temp??)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
Originally posted by angelsandair

Why not let the P-47s have the P-47M super jug??

It fills no gap. Only 130 were made. The P47's we have are fast and turn great. Why do we need an M?

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »
It fills the gap of the fastest Jug, the -N jug was no good except for long range, plus add the fact that there were only 300 Me-163s and 1/3 were likely to crash and we still got that...
We have the 3 cannon option on the La-7 and that was very very rare to see in regular combat.
The -M jug was the fastest and was made for all out performance. Lets bring in the M jug!!!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
That isn't a gap.  You seem to fundamentally not understand what a gap is.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
P-47M, a perked jug.
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
That isn't a gap.  You seem to fundamentally not understand what a gap is.

It's not so much a gap as it is a solid addition to the -47 family in the Late War Arena.

Not everyone flies a -4 hog, not everyone is gonna fly a M 'bolt.

-4 filled no gap, but it adds a terrific plane for those who want it.

There's no reason to NOT add it, really.  It's simple, it's easy, as I understand it it'll be significantly less effort then an entirely new model.

Bring it on, slap a perk on it, call it done, and give the Jugheads a late war monster to contend with the best everyone else has to offer in the most populated arenas in the game.

**edit** an entire FG was outfitted with these things- that in and of itself is reason enough to add it- for the WOLFPACK!
"You rebel scum"