Author Topic: How about this??  (Read 1378 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
How about this??
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
Originally posted by KONG1
You are exactly right. Dweebism is like water, it seeks the lowest point and finds all the cracks.

You sir are wrong.  That person would have been a highly decorated hero in real life :(
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about this??
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »
Whether you call my opinion on the current AvA fluff or not, my point regarding icons remains.

Turning icons off in the pursuit of "realism" is akin to poking your pilots in the eyes with sharp implements before sending them into combat.

Especially since AH has horrid display properties of fighters (black outlines, silver outlines, no outlines, just pure black shapes) beyond "obvious identification" ranges.

Oh, and I know from experience that a P-51B looks almost identical to a 109G2 up until you're close enough to see the invasion stripes on the wings. I did "no icons" once and was amazed at how badly AH displays things outside of 250 yards. This is something wider than my house (40' wingspan) and it was an almost-all-black plane-shaped blob until I was close enough to see bright black and white stripes.

Had he been using another skin I'd have shot him down, and I was on his side!

I have 20/20. I have a good video card, a decent monitor, 1280x1024 resolution. The technology available to any home computer just doesn't compare to what a human eye can see.

I wanted to refute the idea of "no icons for better realism." That isn't "fluff" (regardless of whether you agree)

:cool:

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How about this??
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

(2) K/D stats which discourages suicide tactics.

Well, my first thought was to just zero out scores when folks die. But, thinking about the volume of dweeb whines leads me to suggest simply giving no points for missions where one doesn't survive.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
How about this??
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
You sir are wrong.  That person would have been a highly decorated hero in real life :(
You sir are correct, but in real life he only could have done it once.
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
How about this??
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »

definetly an act of desperation not heroism
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
How about this??
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »

Unless he was smart enough to bail, walk back to the base, get a new plane, rinse and repeat :rofl

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
How about this??
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

Turning icons off in the pursuit of "realism" is akin to poking your pilots in the eyes with sharp implements before sending them into combat.

Especially since AH has horrid display properties of fighters (black outlines, silver outlines, no outlines, just pure black shapes) beyond "obvious identification" ranges.

But that is easily fixed.  Just avoid the dots.  Remember, your goal is deliver your ord on a building and return to base without a scratch.  Fly low over the trees and no one will see you with out that read icon screaming "LOOK!!!! BAD GUY HERE!!!!!!"

Offline republic

• Silver Member
How about this??
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Whether you call my opinion on the current AvA fluff or not, my point regarding icons remains.

In the current setup icon range was 2.5 (i think) and I could easily tell the difference between a 38, 51, F4u etc before the icon even popped.  Within 1k the plane should be seen and recognized by the most visually challenged among us.  By the time it is within a good firing distance, even my 6 month old can tell if it's ebil or good.

As far as your "opinion" on the AvA, I think that's a misnomer.  An opinion tends to be backed up by experience.  Your statement was something that is commonly called "speaking out of  ones excretory orifice", so to speak.
P-47 pilot

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
How about this??
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
Originally posted by republic
In the current setup icon range was 2.5 (i think) and I could easily tell the difference between a 38, 51, F4u etc before the icon even popped.  Within 1k the plane should be seen and recognized by the most visually challenged among us.  By the time it is within a good firing distance, even my 6 month old can tell if it's ebil or good.

As far as your "opinion" on the AvA, I think that's a misnomer.  An opinion tends to be backed up by experience.  Your statement was something that is commonly called "speaking out of  ones excretory orifice", so to speak.

:rofl

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
How about this??
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
Originally posted by republic

Storch, is that you?:rofl
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline justguess

• Copper Member
How about this??
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
I know, right?  must be the warm beer.  lord knows that will piss anyone off, well except the brits.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
How about this??
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
You have taken the lead for "Least Useful Post of the Week."  

I'll bet you can count on one hand the number of times you've been in AvA this year.  You don't like to fly here, fine, we understand that, don't fly here.  But don't emulate Aesop's dog in the manger by pushing to end the fun for the rest of us, please.  You've made it plain that you don't consider it to be any of your business.

- oldman

Ah, our yearly visit from Krusty. And I forgot to bake cookies and decorate the glue traps.:(

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
How about this??
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Ah, our yearly visit from Krusty. And I forgot to bake cookies and decorate the glue traps.:(

:rofl
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner