Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 2094 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Gas Prices
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
no fair..  I didn't even get to answer before everyone beat up grocery boy?

I did say that we could run out of easy to get oil.   there is no way that we can run out of oil tho.. we can make the stuff from coal if we have to.. we can drill in the ocean.

the fact is that we will have to change our ways as it gets harder and more expensive.   this is natural and normal and part of progress and should be handled by the free market.. there is no earth crushing rush to do it.  it is not like we will "run out" in 30 or 100 years or.. as I was told.. by 1990.

We will "run out" of the easy to get stuff.

We somehow survived the "running out" of buffalo hides that were the only way to keep warm in our horse drawn buggies..  we survived the leather crisis that would have made it impossible to make any more buggy whips...

We will survive this..  I don't think looking into the future 50 or 100 years and saying what we will need or even have is very accurate.

It has been accurate so far at a rate of oh....  0 frigging percent.   A logical man would go with the odds..  

The rest of you can just get in your skycars and leave.

lazs

i'm trying to remember exactly why the arab oil embargo happened in 73.....was it them being greedy, or was there an "oil shortage"?
 then there was the one in 79......that i remember was an "oil shortage", as it's when i started driving, and could buy 89 octane leaded for .89, or 94 octane leaded for 1.01......and had to go by the odd even system on the lisence plates...and they wouldn't pump gas for you unless your car was below 1/2 tank(at least that's how it was here in south jersey)

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2008, 09:12:05 AM »
we were told it was an embargo.. and.. that it was because we were too dependent on mid east oil.

Then the scientists got political about it and "predicted" that this was just the beginning.. playing to the fears of people in lines for gas to get to work... claiming that we would run out of oil buy the 1990's for all practical purposes.. it was yet another disgusting display of science being the potato for politicians and for the almighty research grant.

much like the current world ending crisis.. pick one.. any one..  the smart money is on them exaggerating and fear mongering in order to gain fame and fortune..

every single crisis they have told us about has been bogus so far..

yet.. we keep on falling for it.

lazs

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »
i'm trying to remember exactly why the arab oil embargo happened in 73.....was it them being greedy, or was there an "oil shortage"?
then there was the one in 79......that i remember was an "oil shortage",

1973 the Arab countries reduced supply, driving up the oil price. In 1979 there was a revolution in Iran, followed by a war between Iran and Iraq, that reduced oil production by both countries.

Both are examples of the sort of short term problems that can have a major effect on oil prices. We are probably even more vulnerable to such situations now because oil demand is very high, and there is very little spare capacity.

Then the scientists got political about it and "predicted" that this was just the beginning.. playing to the fears of people in lines for gas to get to work

What have "scientists" got to do with forecasting political developments in the Persian Gulf area? Many environmentalists, politicians and the media were certainly predicting disaster, but "scientists" don't really have much to do with forecasting political events.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
nashwan.. I recall the predictions of us running out of oil by the 1990's.. that is the political part of the science.

My point is that anyone who listens to someone who claims to know exactly how much oil there is on the planet..  is a fool.   we don't even know where it comes from.

"known reserves" is a mealy mouthed way of saying "we haven't a clue cause it is not possible to know"

lazs

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
Originally posted by trax1

I see wars coming to fight over the last crude oil deposits.

See?  Coming?

Try alreay here.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »
nashwan.. I recall the predictions of us running out of oil by the 1990's.. that is the political part of the science.

My point is that anyone who listens to someone who claims to know exactly how much oil there is on the planet..  is a fool.   we don't even know where it comes from.

"known reserves" is a mealy mouthed way of saying "we haven't a clue cause it is not possible to know"

lazs

Always holding out that everyone is wrong.... I admire your stubborn ways, Lazs.  I also can't wait for the day you open your eyes.  

You clingingly think that there are vast reserves out there... when we're already drilling into the MANTLE of the planet.  LOL.  Maybe the core is actually one big oil pond and we'll be saved.  (of course it's easy to figure out from our magnetosphere that the core is molten heavy iron and nickel... but I'm sure you'll find some crackpot that will tell you there's a big pool of oil there and that that's where the "Land of the Lost" was really filmed, along with the Moon landings.)

Ignorance must certainly be bliss.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
No offense, but...

Originally posted by MORAY37
You clingingly think that there are vast reserves out there...  

Is not an accurate perception of

lazs
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
Always holding out that everyone is wrong.... I admire your stubborn ways, Lazs.  I also can't wait for the day you open your eyes.  

You clingingly think that there are vast reserves out there... when we're already drilling into the MANTLE of the planet.  LOL.  Maybe the core is actually one big oil pond and we'll be saved.  (of course it's easy to figure out from our magnetosphere that the core is molten heavy iron and nickel... but I'm sure you'll find some crackpot that will tell you there's a big pool of oil there and that that's where the "Land of the Lost" was really filmed, along with the Moon landings.)

Ignorance must certainly be bliss.
MORAY, you know I was thinking the same as you about us running out of oil here soon, and that we knew where all the oil was already, and where oil comes from, I mean look at some of my other posts on here, but after reading a couple articles that CAP1 posted on here for me to read I have to say I'm not so sure anymore, these articles make some really good points about just where the oil is and how much we have, and they are respectable scientific websites too, not crack pot ones, so give them a read.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/051011_oil_origins.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:53:18 PM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »

lazs

proven reserves is not.

proven reserves "defined as oil and gas "Reasonably Certain" to be producible using current technology at current prices, with current commercial terms and government consent"

which is to say how much cheap and readily available oil there is...

but when it comes down to it, once it hits $20 a gallon or something equally ridiculous for gas...it may as well not be there at all for all its use to me.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2008, 08:58:58 AM »
"proven reserves" is another meaningless term for mental masturbation by chart  makers and computer model geeks.. fun to do but pretty worthless.

I have no idea if there is more or less oil yet to be found than we have already used.. I have no idea why some fields fill up again and at what rate.

I am pretty sure that they are right when they say that there is a lot of undiscovered oil...

I am also pretty sure that those who thought that they would run out of leather for buggy whips are the same type who think most people will be driving a 2000 honda civic 100 years from now.

I do know that there is a large amount of people who are not happy unless they are contemplating the doom of themselves and everyone else.

Relax.. have some faith in the free market and the mother of invention..  these things have a 100% reliability factor compared to the doom and gloomers who have......

a zero frigging percent accuracy record.

lazs