Author Topic: Mid-air collisions  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Gulp

• Copper Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
I ran out of ammo trying to down some Lancs that were heading to drop the last FH on a base we were losing.  Having watched the DogFight episode about Germans ramming B17s recently, I said what the heck.

No one else would reach them in time and I was already a bit shot up, so I intentionally collided.  Hmmm, brought one down with no damage to me.  OK, I'll try another with the same basic hit...down he goes and still no damage to me.  Might as well go for the last one...yep, same hit, down he goes.

Probably just a combination of his view vs mine and maybe the certain way I hit him, but I won't be trying it again.  It was lame on my part but I sorta got caught up in the moment and curiosity about finding what could be a bug.  I did bail and give him the kill as his last Lanc spiraled downward.

Won't be trying it again because I hate collisions and discovering a way to reliably down bombers by colliding would be Pandora's box.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »
Originally posted by 33Vortex
Considering the lag and looking at the pictures posted, I understand how and why the collision detection work the way it does. It still sux tho because some people seem to take advantage of how it works.

Can you explain how one would go about "taking advantage of how it works"?

Think really hard about that.  I think you will find that there really no way to take advantage of the collision model becasue you have no idea what the other guy sees.

What you are implying is that someone would know exactly how close to fly to someone else in order to make the two planes collide on the other guy's front end and not on his.  This is impossible becasue the seperation between any two given front ends is always changing.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »
Originally posted by Gulp
I ran out of ammo trying to down some Lancs that were heading to drop the last FH on a base we were losing.  Having watched the DogFight episode about Germans ramming B17s recently, I said what the heck.

No one else would reach them in time and I was already a bit shot up, so I intentionally collided.  Hmmm, brought one down with no damage to me.  OK, I'll try another with the same basic hit...down he goes and still no damage to me.  Might as well go for the last one...yep, same hit, down he goes.

Probably just a combination of his view vs mine and maybe the certain way I hit him, but I won't be trying it again.  It was lame on my part but I sorta got caught up in the moment and curiosity about finding what could be a bug.  I did bail and give him the kill as his last Lanc spiraled downward.

Won't be trying it again because I hate collisions and discovering a way to reliably down bombers by colliding would be Pandora's box.

So you are saying that you intentionally ran into the lancs and saw your plane hit the lancs?

Offline Spazzter

• Copper Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
You recall incorrectly.

HiTech

Please elaborate.

Spazz

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
Originally posted by Spazzter
Please elaborate.

Spazz

It does not matter and the game does not care who is the "aggressor" and who is not.  All that matters is on who's PC two airplanes were detected occupying the same space.

The same is true for the guy whing about colliding while on autolevel.

People keep insisting in thinking of it like an auto collision and who is at fault and who is not.  You all need to stop and look at it like a computer with no fault and just a detection of intersecting polygons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
You recall incorrectly.

Ouch.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
Nevermind...was pointless anyway...:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:13:10 PM by Blammo »
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN SEPARATION. Deal with it.
See Rule #4

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN SEPARATION. Deal with it.

So in an attempt to deal with it, if we are both merging at about 350mph each if I try to maintain about 600ft of separation I should be safe right?

What is that magical net lag everyone is talking about?  How match time are we talking about?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »
1 ft would do it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 03:40:24 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
So in an attempt to deal with it, if we are both merging at about 350mph each if I try to maintain about 600ft of separation I should be safe right?

What is that magical net lag everyone is talking about?  How match time are we talking about?

Just avoid the enemy plane on your screen. It's irrelevant what is happening on your enemy's screen, because you do not take damage if the collision is only on HIS screen.
Again, take a look at the pics.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
1 ft would do it.

One would think that, but isn't it possible that since updates leave the FE at 250ms intervals and also received at 250ms that if my luck is not that good and the timing is right, even though on my FE I maintained at list 500ft of separation,  I all of a sudden receive an update that puts the other plane right in front of me?   How could I possibly try to maintain separation in that case?

Unless the rate of updates increases as distance closes or the smoothing algo takes care of that, but if that is not the case, what can I do to avoid a collision I never saw coming?  Then again, my numbers may be wrong but there has to be a magic number that this could happen.  I would assume these games are not true real time.  It would not be practical so there has to be some queuing on the server and the FE.  Can you share that number or is it proprietary info?

Thank you

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
One would think that, but isn't it possible that since updates leave the FE at 250ms intervals and also received at 250ms that if my luck is not that good and the timing is right, even though on my FE I maintained at list 500ft of separation,  I all of a sudden I receive an update that puts the other plane right in front of me?   How could I possibly try to maintain separation in that case?

Unless the rate of updates increases as distance closes or the smoothing algo takes care of that, but if that is not the case, what can I do to avoid a collision I never saw coming?  Then again, my numbers may be wrong but there has to be a magic number that this could happen.  I would assume these games are not true real time.  It would not be practical so there has to be some queuing on the server and the FE.  Can you share that number or is it proprietary info?

Thank you

Unless there is packet loss, smoothing code makes it impossible.
See Rule #4

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Unless there is packet loss, smoothing code makes it impossible.

why cant you wait for HT?  Ho wrote the coad, no?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
I all of a sudden receive an update that puts the other plane right in front of me?   How could I possibly try to maintain separation in that case?

That would be only happening as a result of an major warp.

You are thinkin way too complicated by the way.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman