Author Topic: Mid-air collisions  (Read 3950 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I've been seeing 60-100% packet loss in the Chicago area between Savvis and AT&T the last few nights. No idea if that could be your problem, but I haven't even been able to play. Ping time swinging between 180 and 3600ms. Awesome.

Well, you are in indiana and Chicago is the windy city.  My guess is that as the smoke signals you use for a a telephone line go over Chicago they get blown away.  I don't think that has anything to do with the telecoms here.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
The packet, whether going to the other guy or coming in to you, is (your ping + his ping + whatever ms the server needs to route it) old, and they come every 250ms, right?

If you get 2 guys with slow (250ms+) connections, yeah, the info they get on each other will be 600ms behind, but it will still be consistantly delayed, right? And if you get 2 guys with fast connections (sub 100), they are playing as close to real-time as is possible- they are able to send and receive that data as fast as the game is able to ask for it. Their info is also consistently delayed, just by a different amount of time. It's not 500ms+ for everyone all the time.

Note that this assumes stable connections. When guys start losing packets or udp or whatever, and the smoothing code tries to predict where they're going for several seconds, and then the next known location is way off some other direction, yeah, you can't avoid **** until their packets start coming consistently again. When that happens though, that's not a fault of the game- you either draw the guy standing still, try to predict his path, or just immediately disco everyone everytime there's a hiccup somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:25:33 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »
I was just wondering when the next collision beat-up would be - its been too quiet in the last month...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »
oooooo thank god.......someone took the heat off of me for the one i started:D

sorry..couldn't resist
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 03:22:25 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me Hub.

As for the collision messages both players get one right?

If that is so and the enemy plane realises he got away with it and the other guy died,  I think out of sporting behaviour he should be morally inclined to Bail out.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2008, 04:44:34 AM »
Originally posted by Bruv119
Thanks for clearing that up for me Hub.

As for the collision messages both players get one right?

If that is so and the enemy plane realises he got away with it and the other guy died,  I think out of sporting behaviour he should be morally inclined to Bail out.

:huh
See Rule #4

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 06:25:57 AM »
There is no "got away with it".

On one side a collision occurred, on the other side it didn't.

Should I take out my pistol and shoot myself just because you drove by my house in your car? On my end we never touched, so no damage.

One one PC a collision occurs, damage is dealt. On the other he missed, no collision occurs, he takes no damage.

However guns still work on both sides. And there is no message that says
"Player X collided with you, and took damage, but shot you to pieces as he did so"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »
If he jumps out i will think that guy appreciates the flaws in the collision model.

My thinking isnt to do with shooting at all just guys that don't pull the trigger and run into me.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
My thinking isnt to do with shooting at all just guys that don't pull the trigger and run into me.

Understand this:  
That guy that "did not pull the trigger and ran into you" DID NOT SEE WHAT YOU SAW ON HIS FRONT END.  
From his point of view he never ran into you.  
Understand?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2008, 07:21:41 AM »
I understand all right i'm just trying to put myself in both perspectives.

If his plane wasn't there I would be flying happily along minding my own business.  Internet lag or not his action of flying near our bit of airspace has resulted in a collision.

It does have its Pros the way it is now and i'm not asking for it to be changed.  Both planes exploding is what i'm familiar with, if your inside the collision bubble both planes are totally screwed.  At least here you can land busted up birds.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:25:44 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
I think that if there is a collision, both sides should die.

:t
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:28:07 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2008, 07:30:11 AM »
At least that would remove any large grey area or doubt over who should have died :t
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2008, 08:32:28 AM »
Careful sim, that troll WILL bite you.  

:)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
The packet, whether going to the other guy or coming in to you, is (your ping + his ping + whatever ms the server needs to route it) old, and they come every 250ms, right?

If you get 2 guys with slow (250ms+) connections, yeah, the info they get on each other will be 600ms behind, but it will still be consistantly delayed, right? And if you get 2 guys with fast connections (sub 100), they are playing as close to real-time as is possible- they are able to send and receive that data as fast as the game is able to ask for it. Their info is also consistently delayed, just by a different amount of time. It's not 500ms+ for everyone all the time.

Note that this assumes stable connections. When guys start losing packets or udp or whatever, and the smoothing code tries to predict where they're going for several seconds, and then the next known location is way off some other direction, yeah, you can't avoid **** until their packets start coming consistently again. When that happens though, that's not a fault of the game- you either draw the guy standing still, try to predict his path, or just immediately disco everyone everytime there's a hiccup somewhere.

Yeah, I was adding the amount of time between packets like and idiot.  In reality even though it is firing every 250ms it does send the latest and greatest info so your lag should be (his ping + 250ms + your ping = how old is what you see).

Something does happen though, and maybe it is mini warps maybe not.  I guess I need the disclaimer again here.  I am not saying that my FE did not see the collision.  I am saying that some times, even though it looks like I am clear, I do collide.  Film does show the collision. I am just trying to figure out what happens.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Mid-air collisions
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »
At least that would remove any large grey area or doubt over who should have died :t

Dang simaril, you have some great bait trolling behind your boat.

HiTech