Author Topic: PC Gaming Market Declining  (Read 1319 times)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
PC Gaming Market Declining
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
I hate all those little hand held games (including xbox, ps, etc). I can't work the controls AT ALL. My kids get on cod, halo, etc & can really tear it up. I get on the thing, and I end up staring straight up at the sky while running in a circle after getting stuck in a corner.

I know how I want the toy character to maneuver, and theoretically I understand which "buttons" are supposed to translate to which movements, but I absolutely for the life of me can't connect one with the other.

What's the nerdy computer talk for 'they suck?'

Thank goodness AH is still on the PC.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
Originally posted by texasmom

SuXoRs
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
Meh. Shooters are meant to be played with Mouse and WASD.

It's a cycle, guys. Remember back in the early to late 80s when consoles dominated? Their technology was just much more advanced than PCs at the time so you could just DO more for gaming on consoles.

However as the 90s rolled around, PC capabilities began to outgrow the consoles, so the PC became the real high-end gaming rigs.

Now we're seeing the technology advantage shift heading back towards the consoles again.

Consoles will also ALWAYS have the advantage of standardized hardware, whereas PC game manufacturers have to allow for a wide variety of hardware configurations.

But consider this:

Consoles are getting EXPENSIVE, in fact, the latest generation consoles are costing nearly as much as a low-end PC. It's not going to be much longer before console prices aren't going to be much lower than that of a good gaming rig. Also, whereas you can often upgrade your memory, video or CPU to meet more robust system requirements without necessarily replacing the whole thing, there's only one way to upgrade your console: buy a new one.

Give it a few years, and I guarantee the pendulum will swing back to the PC gamers again.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »
IF the PC gamer market goes, so does game advancment, at least at the rate it has been going.

Consoles are restricted by the platform far more then PC based games.

There will always be a market, it may be small though.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman

Agreed. That or a VR device making it even more natural. Joysticks, even if they are analog rather than '70's digital controls are a step backwards when it comes to look, point, shoot.

I've watched kids who are pretty good with console controllers still look mechanical compared to someone good with a mouse in an FPS.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »

Some of us, the minority of the FPSers, find Arrow keys > WASD :p
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 10:16:41 PM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
Some of us, the minority of the FPSers, find Arrow keys > WASD :p

I guess that distinguishes between an FPSer and an RPGer. WASD is closer to the function keys.  ;)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »

It's a cycle, guys. Remember back in the early to late 80s when consoles dominated? Their technology was just much more advanced than PCs at the time so you could just DO more for gaming on consoles.

However as the 90s rolled around, PC capabilities began to outgrow the consoles, so the PC became the real high-end gaming rigs.

Now we're seeing the technology advantage shift heading back towards the consoles again.

Consoles will also ALWAYS have the advantage of standardized hardware, whereas PC game manufacturers have to allow for a wide variety of hardware configurations.

But consider this:

Consoles are getting EXPENSIVE, in fact, the latest generation consoles are costing nearly as much as a low-end PC. It's not going to be much longer before console prices aren't going to be much lower than that of a good gaming rig. Also, whereas you can often upgrade your memory, video or CPU to meet more robust system requirements without necessarily replacing the whole thing, there's only one way to upgrade your console: buy a new one.

Give it a few years, and I guarantee the pendulum will swing back to the PC gamers again.

yea I gotta agree here big time.I cant play a fps with a consol.Just cant aim.Given the ability to mod games....Read all the ones that came before that people modded....I cant see consols putting up a serious challenge in the long term on pc based games.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline JimmyZ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »
Originally posted by texasmom
I hate all those little hand held games (including xbox, ps, etc). I can't work the controls AT ALL. My kids get on cod, halo, etc & can really tear it up. I get on the thing, and I end up staring straight up at the sky while running in a circle after getting stuck in a corner.

I know how I want the toy character to maneuver, and theoretically I understand which "buttons" are supposed to translate to which movements, but I absolutely for the life of me can't connect one with the other.

Thank goodness AH is still on the PC.

Your description reminded me of one of the funniest commercials i ever saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKzfQlfJHo&feature=related
484th (BGH) Anything with less than 4 engines is a fighter.:D
AHXARL: USMC/71 Racing team

CTHULHU 2008 "Why vote for the "lesser" evil?"

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 11:37:04 PM »
Originally posted by JimmyZ
Your description reminded me of one of the funniest commercials i ever saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKzfQlfJHo&feature=related

:rofl

I remember that one, loved it when it came out. :aok
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »
JimmyZ! That was so funny! That's totally me. :D
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »
You're that old Tx?
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 11:45:21 PM »
almost
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 11:55:33 PM »
I've noticed a lot of the new games are cross platform...Xbox, PS3, PC.  If you buy the PC version, its not set up to really take advantage of your PC's hardware like a dedicated PC game would.

I imagine from the perspective of development...making a PSP or XBOX game is way easier, especially via Tech Support, as the consoles are close to identical.  That alone must be a huge savings, adding for more profits.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 12:15:20 AM »
The PC gaming market has been "on the verge of extinction" for well over a decade now. Still going strong. It never had and never will have the mass appeal of the consoles. But it does most things better, and some exclusively. It still makes plenty of cash, but the bigger houses will generally shift to consoles. Thus leaving more room for new, fresh and hungry developers.

I just played through the console inspired COD4. It was OK. I am replaying Stalker now though, which is excellent. About the  only real excellent part of COD4, IMO, was the AC130 side game :) The rest, the health system and combat scenarios and save system were all too arcade and too console, though it was fine light entertainment with a neat theatrical flavor. Not to mention games like  Rome/Midevil Total war or CIV 4 or AH or SH3-4, etc..

Charon