Author Topic: PC Gaming Market Declining  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
PC Gaming Market Declining
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
Only a matter of time, thought figure the US PC Gaming market declined 6% last year. Compare to consoles growth 31% will be interesting to see what it is each quarter this year.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/gamers-ditch-pcs-for-consoles/2008/02/21/1203467255500.html

...-Gixer

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »
I've been noticing it for alot more then just the last year.

all you have to do is walk into any electronics store or  a store that sells computer games.

Software Etc for example used to be 95% computer games and 5% consoles.
Now your lucky of you find 1 section on 1 shelf the has computer games.
and half of those are marked down
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:53:37 PM »
Similar here, small shelf for PC New Releases, rest are in the bargin bin. I wonder how much longer Microsoft will keep up with Flight Simulator, as in the past that's always been one of the biggest sellers for a PC based game.

...-Gixer

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
I've been noticing it for alot more then just the last year.

all you have to do is walk into any electronics store or  a store that sells computer games.

Software Etc for example used to be 95% computer games and 5% consoles.
Now your lucky of you find 1 section on 1 shelf the has computer games.
and half of those are marked down

Something else the PC games drop in price pretty fast meanwhile Xbox PS3 and other console systems prices stay more stable. That likely has something to do with it on the retailer end.
"strafing"

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »
you can thanks the affordability of large flat screen tv's for this....was bound to happen.

so how does this bode for aces high?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
I'm sorry guys, this is my fault.  I'll start buying more games when I have more money.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
XBox
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
So HT

How long before we can play Ace's on the Xbox or whatever that console is that connects to the Internet?

J/K

Actually not kidding, what does it take to convert a PC game to something like that, could be a whole new market.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:36:00 PM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
Also, its argueably easier to pirate games on PC than it is to mod your Xbox etc.

I own a Wii, which is fun especially when having company over...but it would be a long time before I turn it in for another console system.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:45 PM »
Thats too bad too, because a lot of the console games of the last year or two would be much better served as PC games- the specific one I'm thinking of is that awful Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire for the PS3. If that had been a PC game (and they'd let fans mod it and make campaigns and missions like Il2 does), and if it had been made for a HOTAS setup instead of a handheld controller... but alas, it was a complete flop as a PS3 game. Might have done very well as a single player PC game/MMOG.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
I think there are several factors involved in the decline of PC gaming.  One of them they mentioned,  the constant upgrading of your pc to play the next game, memory, video cards, motherboards, cpu's... it gets expensive and tiresome.   Also when was the last time you bought a PC game and didnt have to immediately download a patch to fix something or search for drivers to upgrade your system to solve issues?  

And another thing is playablility, there just nothing really out there thats all that different from the games you played last year or the year before.  The only thing that changes is better graphics, more levels, now has multiplayer online.... Half-Life 2 was the last game I played that I really enjoyed.. and C&C 3 I liked but I like real time strategy games and I like the interface with the game, otherwise its no different than the other C&C games that came before.

And finally, Money.  I'm paying more for gas, food, utilities than I was two years ago, that eats into my game buying funds.   When I do get a game I search for used or bargin shop.   I just do not see a need to rush out and buy the next game for $50-60 when I can wait 6 months and get it for $30-40 or a year and get it for even less

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »
I figure we will see them marketing them online. Pretty much like Aces High has done.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
I think the biggest factor is being able to play these games online. I got bored with my PS2 air combat game, the aircraft were easily outflown and always did the same thing. Aces High has not gotten boring for me because it is never the same, although at times it does feel stale, there is something that will shake it up.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 08:32:38 PM »
Any way to get COD4 for the PS3 to work with a mouse? Joystick sucks for that game.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Any way to get COD4 for the PS3 to work with a mouse? Joystick sucks for that game.

Buy a specific mouse for PS3.

Here one at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/SplitFish-Gameware-PS3-fragfx108w-Playstation-Controller/dp/B000S14FNO/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1203650542&sr=8-1

Looks kind like wii controller almost.

I dont have CoD4 on PS3 as I wanted the use of a mouse so I bought it for PC.  Dont know how well thing thing works but worth a shot.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27:11 PM »
Originally posted by Hoarach
Buy a specific mouse for PS3.

Here one at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/SplitFish-Gameware-PS3-fragfx108w-Playstation-Controller/dp/B000S14FNO/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1203650542&sr=8-1

Looks kind like wii controller almost.

I dont have CoD4 on PS3 as I wanted the use of a mouse so I bought it for PC.  Dont know how well thing thing works but worth a shot.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, I'll likely buy one.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.