Author Topic: Crash  (Read 358 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Crash
« on: February 23, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »
I have watched this movie about 4 or 5 times now. It is on FX and I am in the middle of watching intently again, though edited.

I can't think of any other time racial issues have been portrayed as honest ever. The closest movie has got to be is "American History X".

I have to ask, anyone here see the similarities, and honesty in these movies?

the little intricacies are sometimes so spot on someone like myself have actually witnessed both sides of it personally.

I have to say Crash has moved it's way into my all time top 5 movies.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Crash
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
Crash is a good movie, haven't seen American History X.

reminded me of 21 grams
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Crash
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
haven't seen American History X.
Shame on you sir:D, it has to be one of the greatest movies ever, I suggest you rent it, excellent movie.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Crash
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate anyone making recommendations for movies... a short synopsis is gravy.

Gunthr
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 06:23:58 PM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Crash
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:29:32 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
Thanks, I appreciate anyone making recommendations for movies... a short synopsis is gravy.

Gunthr

Crash is hard to summarize, but it's good.  It's one of those movies in which a bunch individual stories interact in passing and then come together in the end.  Very character driven, looks at causes/effects of racism in different people (black, white, latin, arab).  

American history X is about a reformed neo-nazi who gets out of prison and tries to keep his younger brother (who idolizes him) from following in his footsteps.  Very good movie, but some scenes are tough to watch.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Crash
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Crash is a good movie, haven't seen American History X.

reminded me of 21 grams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120586/

White supremacist, goes to jail, learns the difference between a person with colored skin and an "n" word, little brother idolizes big brother, whole life sees the definition of the "n" word, confronted by teacher about it, and learns brothers lessons....

in the end... well... sums the movie up.

#42 in IMDB top 250 movies all time, I'd put it in top 20, almost top 10. a hardcore real racial movie showing thoughts and feelings on it.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Crash
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr

Gunthr
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

how lives of "anyone" from a white DA to a black street thug are intertwined

2006 picture of the year Oscar.... well worth it.

independent movie made for what $6,000,000 or something, people like Brendan Fraiser, Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Tony Danza, all worked "scale" pay, meaning something like %500 / day  

"Sandra Bullock was so committed to appearing in this film, that she bought her own plane ticket to fly to the set."

in case you were asking about it.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Crash
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »
Originally posted by JB73
I have watched this movie about 4 or 5 times now. It is on FX and I am in the middle of watching intently again, though edited.

I can't think of any other time racial issues have been portrayed as honest ever. The closest movie has got to be is "American History X".

I have to ask, anyone here see the similarities, and honesty in these movies?

the little intricacies are sometimes so spot on someone like myself have actually witnessed both sides of it personally.

I have to say Crash has moved it's way into my all time top 5 movies.

Crash I agree is entirely accurate and honest portrayal.

Weird in the way its made as it goes in it kinda splits up then all comes back together at the end.

Tell the truth.
the first time you saw it.
The most intence moment was the part with the little kid, right?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Crash
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Weird in the way its made as it goes in it kinda splits up then all comes back together at the end.
Several movies use this style, one that comes to mind is "Go", I know there are others that do this but I can't think of them.  I like movies that do this, have several story lines going, and they all end up interacting with each other by the end.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Crash
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 09:07:50 AM »
Crash is great.  Definitely on my Favorites list.  

If you're not already a member, go Netflix.  Easy reasonable way to see every flick you've ever wanted.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Crash
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 09:12:19 AM »
Originally posted by trax1
Several movies use this style, one that comes to mind is "Go", I know there are others that do this but I can't think of them.  I like movies that do this, have several story lines going, and they all end up interacting with each other by the end.

When I watched it I was gettign annoyed at the style.
and was saying to myself "WTF? where the hell is this going?"

I was close to turning the DVD player off but decided to stick with it.
Glad I did.

Cant say its my favorite style of the way its made though LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty