Author Topic: Intellectualist Elitists are anti-American and we just ain't a-gonna take it no more!  (Read 3404 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Oh I see...  it is the fault of the culture and the parents if the kids don't learn anything in school?

the parents should teach the kids things like reading and math and science and then the teachers will have time in their short 8 hours of time a day with the students to teach em the really important things in life like how to use a condom.

If you teach in spanish and english you will learn half as much material.. if you never mention WWII no kids will have learned when or why it was.   If you pay part time workers a full time wage and educate a bunch of non citizens  it will get more and more expensive.

I do agree with moray tho that it is time to go full time.. it is not effective to use facilities part time or to pay full time wages for part time work.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
and results...

http://school.familyeducation.com/home-schooling/educational-testing/41081.html

"Here is an excerpt from a recent study of homeschoolers: "According to a report published by the Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) and funded by the Office of Educational Research and Improvement, U.S. Department of Education, homeschool student achievement test scores were exceptionally high. The median scores for every subtest at every grade were well above those of public and Catholic/private-school students. On average, homeschool students in grades one to four performed one grade level above their age-level public/private school peers on achievement tests. Students who had been homeschooled their entire academic life had higher scholastic achievement test scores than students who had also attended other educational programs."

As for catholic schools....

http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006461

"his study compares mean 2003 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) reading and mathematics scores of public and private schools in 4th and 8th grades, statistically controlling for individual student characteristics (such as gender, race/ethnicity, disability status, identification as an English language learner) and school characteristics (such as school size, location, and the composition of the student body). In grades 4 and 8, using unadjusted mean scores, students in private schools scored significantly higher than students in public schools for both reading and mathematics.

They go on to say that if you turn catholic schools into cesspools the results get a lot worse tho.  "adjusted" is the term.   the absolute results were that the catholic schools far outperformed the public ones but..  the results were "adjusted" to reflect.. get this.. ethnicity and income and class size.

After adjustment it can be seen that what we seen isn't really what we are seeing.    

Sorta like co2 science...

In the meantime..  I will continue to send my grand daughter to catholic school where...  before 'adjustments" she will continue to outperform her public school cesspool peers by a grade of two.

I pick both her and another girl up at their schools once in a while.. the public school is a zoo on fire.  the catholic school is polite and orderly.

My anti intellectual brain tells me more can be learned by children without the chaos.

lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Excuses are all we're gonna hear from the overeducated but underintelligent hand wringing liberals. We want results in education we're going to have to take big government out of it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Guys it's no single thing that's caused today's situation.  There might be one or a few factors more important than all the rest, but IMO nothing is negligible.

About the schools themselves, the curriculums I saw in public High Schools are just too weak, too shallow, nowhere near thorough enough. Back in France it was like we could break ceramic bricks in two with our heads, compared to the limp little problems given during exams in the US HSs. When I got to HS in Tempe AZ, I had trouble finding anything I hadn't already learned 2 years or more previous to then, back in France; except stuff like US Govt. obviously.  This, even in 'honors' classes.
I'd show up to the 'adv. pre calc' or whatever it was called, and the teacher would just roll his eyes when I'd ask stuff like 'when you say Mean, do you mean arithmetic, geometric or harmonic Mean?'...  The kids had more success memorizing the laws of logarithm operations with funny metaphorical parabols that really didn't represent the actual mechanics of the math, than actualy "seeing" the nuts and bolts that made the math work as it did.
When I looked at their graphs it was like kindergarten kids' crayon drawings.. It sure boiled things down to the basic principles, but it reeked of complacency with respect to what it all really meant. They weren't under or above average kids, they were the regular students in the middle of the bell curve.
The only kids that gave a crap were nerds.

And the preparations for the standardized tests and that test which gave the school its "rating".. Don't get me started on that.. It wasn't about learning anymore, it was about padding score.  The teachers were more strict about that stupid test than the tests they gave themselves!

"Train like you fight, fight like you train." - What good is a method where you practice with training wheels 95% of the time?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Breaking bricks.....in France????
:D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)