Author Topic: A-20G Havoc "Not a Bomber?"  (Read 652 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
A-20G Havoc "Not a Bomber?"
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »
HTC,

I use the A-20 Havoc extensively in my game play. I thought to myself the other day, that my bomber kills are really low. I'll switch the Havoc from ATTACK to BOMBER modes and get that score to be more reasonable. Just this past week alone I have scored 31 kills in A-20s. I have ensured the "BOMBER" was selected, but the kills still register under attack for some reason.

Is this a feature or a coding error?

Thanks for investigating this problem.

Cheers:aok
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
as far as I know, bomber kills don't count. Bomber mode only counts bomb/rkt damage.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
as far as I know, bomber kills don't count. Bomber mode only counts bomb/rkt damage.

Krusty,

That doesn't sound right. If I am flying LANCs or any other Buff and drop on GVs in a spawn or GVs outside of a VH they register. Same thing with dropping on a CV. I was recently killed by a 234 on take-off in that way. So again, that doesn't sound correct.

Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »
Per this link  http://URL=http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/scoring.html]http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/scoring.html, "kills" aren't scored for "bomber mission types".  You will get your name in lights though..
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »
Air to air kills in bomber mode don't show up in game.  Your air to ground kills in bomber do show up in game.  You can see your kills by looking at the scores section.  Just click on the "kills" link at the bottom of the page or look at your kill stats in expanded format to see what you have killed and what has killed you.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:23:30 AM »
It's funny that I upped an IL-2 last night for three kills and they registered under bomber. They were Air to Air.:huh

What's the logic there?

It would seem that an IL-2 would be more likely to score air to air than an A-20G, but yet and A-20G is not more likely to score a GV kill that could be scored as a bomber strike, if the option is offered?

All bombers are not created equal. The A-20G dogfights well and is an exceptional dive BOMBER.

Why again are ground strikes not scored under bomber and only attack?

Do IL-2s in bomber mode not score GV kills under bomber?

Why was this thread switched to tech support from Bug fix?

Cheers:confused:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:28:12 AM by swareiam »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
I have not seen anything that resembled a bug.  It seemed more of a lack of understanding of the score system.

I see 3 kills in an IL-2 in the last week.  I presume from last night.

The WEB page is the definitive source for scores and ranks.

Note, you do not get any points while killing aircraft when flying a "bomber" sortie.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:38:29 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:37:12 AM »
Originally posted by swareiam
It's funny that I upped an IL-2 last night for three kills and they registered under bomber. They were Air to Air.:huh

What's the logic there?

It would seem that a IL-2 would be more likely to score air to air than an A-20G, but yet and A-20G is not more likely to score a GV kill that could be scored as a bomber strike, if the option is offered?

All bombers are not created equal. The A-20G dogfights well and is an exceptional dive BOMBER.

Why again are ground strikes not scored under bomber and only attack?

Do IL-2s in bomber mode not score under bomber?

Because?

Cheers:confused:
Strange, when I look at your scores Redtail7's scores I don't see any kills mentioned in the "bomber scores" section.

I guess what needs to be clear is, yes, you do get credit for the kills when it comes to "name in lights" and the "kills" section of the statistics.  Kills to not however effect your rank in the bomber category. A2A kills in bomber mode are what I am talking about.

Only in attack or fighter mode do air to air kills effect rank.  In attack mode, air to air kills count towards your figher score, ground strikes count towards your bomber score for damage.

I don't know where the score goes when you bomb a plane on the runway when in attack mode, but to be sure, it goes towards rank some where.

If you are in bomber mode in an A20, you can kill 20 fighters and drop 10 vehicles with bombe, and your fighter rank will not be effected.  In attack mode, all those A2A kills will help your fighter rank.

Of course, this assumes you are concerned about rank/score.  If you aren't, then it doesn't matter what mode you are in.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I have not seen anything that resembled a bug.  It seemed more of a lack of understanding of the score system.

Skuzzy,

Yes Sir, it is my lack of understanding. Yet, After I read the information about scoring it still left me puzzled. The information was focused on fighters loaded for a strike missions which should be set for attack. Is bombing only considered a release of ordanance from a straight and level flight attitude?

There was no explanation as to why bombers can not score ground target strikes.

I know that I will probably have to live with it the way it is, but a explanation would sure help.:)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:42:11 AM »
You pick the sortie type.  All scoring is based off the sortie type you pick.

If you pick a "bomber" sortie type, then no air kills will be scored.  If you pick a "fighter" type sortie, no ground targets destroyed will be counted.  If you pick an "attack" sortie, both ground and air kills count.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »
Originally posted by Scca
Strange, when I look at your scores Redtail7's scores I don't see any kills mentioned in the "bomber scores" section.

I guess what needs to be clear is, yes, you do get credit for the kills when it comes to "name in lights" and the "kills" section of the statistics.  Kills to not however effect your rank in the bomber category. A2A kills in bomber mode are what I am talking about.

Only in attack or fighter mode do air to air kills effect rank.  In attack mode, air to air kills count towards your figher score, ground strikes count towards your bomber score for damage.

I don't know where the score goes when you bomb a plane on the runway when in attack mode, but to be sure, it goes towards rank some where.

If you are in bomber mode in an A20, you can kill 20 fighters and drop 10 vehicles with bombe, and your fighter rank will not be effected.  In attack mode, all those A2A kills will help your fighter rank.

Of course, this assumes you are concerned about rank/score.  If you aren't, then it doesn't matter what mode you are in.

Scca,

Thanks for the comments Scca. There are eleven in the bomber kill category.
Redtail7's scores  I don't know, it seems that bombing is bombing to me. I know that there is a complex algorithm behind the button press. It just seems that I should be able to increase my BOMBER RANK in this way. Given the option to select bomber mode with any bomber and then dive bomb.:confused:

I thank you gentlemen for your explanations. Some things are the way they are and you need not have a suitable explanation.

Thanks again.

Redtail Out...

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56:47 AM »
Scca,

Thanks for the comments Scca. There are eleven in the bomber kill category.
Redtail7's scores  I don't know, it seems that bombing is bombing to me. I know that there is a complex algorithm behind the button press. It just seems that I should be able to increase my BOMBER RANK in this way. Given the option to select bomber mode with any bomber and then dive bomb.:confused:

I thank you gentlemen for your explanations. Some things are the way they are and you need not have a suitable explanation.

Thanks again.

Redtail Out...

I know it's a mystry, but here is a thread that you may want to look at if you want to improve your bomber rank http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172644&highlight=improving+rank   psob2 has some helpful tips about half way down the page.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »
I know it's a mystry, but here is a thread that you may want to look at if you want to improve your bomber rank http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172644&highlight=improving+rank   psob2 has some helpful tips about half way down the page.

Scca,

Thanks this was a really good thread. BTW, it seems that there are a lot of folks that just want to have fun with the game. That I consider to be fine. But, God bore me with a competitive nature. So, I get tired of seeing the same guys at the top in all categories i.e. SHAWK, AXER, LYNX, LUSCHE, etc. I like the pot sturred a little. The thread that you forwarded to me will help me in my quest. "BOMBING GVs LOWERS YOUR HIT%." That is all the explanation I needed. I think if some guys knew this, you would probably see less bomber formations over GV spawn points, or maybe not.:rolleyes: :D

Skuzzy and Scca, I appreciate your help.

Thanks again...

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:42 AM »
Scca,

Thanks this was a really good thread. BTW, it seems that there are a lot of folks that just want to have fun with the game. That I consider to be fine. But, God bore me with a competitive nature. So, I get tired of seeing the same guys at the top in all categories i.e. SHAWK, AXER, LYNX, LUSCHE, etc. I like the pot sturred a little. The thread that you forwarded to me will help me in my quest. "BOMBING GVs LOWERS YOUR HIT%." That is all the explanation I needed. I think if some guys knew this, you would probably see less bomber formations over GV spawn points, or maybe not.:rolleyes: :D

Skuzzy and Scca, I appreciate your help.

Thanks again...

That's one of the things that I like about the game.  If you want high rank, you have to do certain things, certain ways.  To me that's boring, but hey, what the heck, it's their $14.95.

The names you mentioned are good players though, every one of them.  But you have to know they play their game the way they want to.  To them that's fun.  

Example, DR7 is IMHO, the best GV'er in the game.  The only reason he isn't #1 is he doesn't know when to quit.  His GV rank is only 1074, but he has 2933  kills this tour alone.

If you want rank, you have to play for rank, simple.  My fun comes not from rank, but other things.  YMMV

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »

Example, DR7 is IMHO, the best GV'er in the game.  The only reason he isn't #1 is he doesn't know when to quit.  .

This isn't true. Dying is not his "problem". His rather low (and pretty misleading) rank has a different reason: If you examin his scores, you will see that he does not care about killing objects. I guess he just finds gunning down helpless start targets extraordinary boring ;)

If he would choose to milk only a few strats his tour, his rank would rocket up into the sky. But if you ask me now "and what's that good for?"...ehm..uhm... nothin :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman