Author Topic: A-20G Havoc "Not a Bomber?"  (Read 656 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
A-20G Havoc "Not a Bomber?"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »
Originally posted by Scca
That's one of the things that I like about the game.  If you want high rank, you have to do certain things, certain ways.  To me that's boring, but hey, what the heck, it's their $14.95.

The names you mentioned are good players though, every one of them.  But you have to know they play their game the way they want to.  To them that's fun.  

Example, DR7 is IMHO, the best GV'er in the game.  The only reason he isn't #1 is he doesn't know when to quit.  His GV rank is only 1074, but he has 2933  kills this tour alone.

If you want rank, you have to play for rank, simple.  My fun comes not from rank, but other things.  YMMV

Scca,

Your comments are true, but these guys not only play the game for rank. They are exceedingly good sticks. There k/d ratios are high across the board. So they're not only divisive, and methodical, they're crafty and skillfull. I believe that is all the fun in the game.:)

Cheers:aok
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:24:39 AM by swareiam »
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »
Its really all in how you want to play the game. In most cases the guys you mention fly "carefully" to keep their k/d high, while other pilot who are easily as good if not better, love to do nothing but fight. These guys will jump into a 1 vs 5 just to see if they can get all 5 before they die. The guys you named would most likely avoid that fight because they wouldn't want to hurt their "rank".

Using rank, and scores to compare yourself to others is only good if your trying to see if your better at padding scores than they are.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
Its really all in how you want to play the game. In most cases the guys you mention fly "carefully" to keep their k/d high, while other pilot who are easily as good if not better, love to do nothing but fight. These guys will jump into a 1 vs 5 just to see if they can get all 5 before they die. The guys you named would most likely avoid that fight because they wouldn't want to hurt their "rank".

Using rank, and scores to compare yourself to others is only good if your trying to see if your better at padding scores than they are.

Yes, I think you are correct they would probably avoid that fight. But, anyone of those guys could hop into KoH and easily be in the top 5 category. I once read a thread where one of the AH2 players of long association with the game stated that "The whole point of the game is to not get killed." Stay alive and continue to score.

My highest k/d in any aircraft currently is 1.7 to 1. That is nowhere close to  good. I am personally looking for the edge that gives me the 5 to 1 ratio. I am still working on it. Reading more and flying more cautiously, not taking as many risk and landing kills sooner rather than later. I feel the fun is in the increased level of skill and craftiness trying to get to the top.

I don't hear anyone saying "Yeah, he finally shot me down or great that is the fifth time in a row my tank has been blown out from under me." Egress is just as much of a combat piloting skill as dogfighting. "Know when to say when."

Cheers:aok
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell