Author Topic: question for widewing  (Read 1171 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
question for widewing
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:25:43 PM »
ive heard that a yak turns better to the right. is there any truth to this or just another myth

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
question for widewing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
true. The yak's prop (and the typhoon's) turn opposite of other planes. You can see this effect during taxiing... whichever way the plane pulls, that's the direction it turns best.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
question for widewing
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
Hey, you're not WideWing! hehe :aok

Planes like the P-38 with counter-rotating props turn the same either way due to them not having an issue with torque.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
question for widewing
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:18:59 PM »
Just out of interest, for a plane like the P-38, would it turn better in a specific direction if you were to reduce the power to 1 engine during the turn?  Also, is the amount of torque only reduced if you decrease the RPMs (as opposed to ONLY reducing the manifold pressure)?  Would my original question have any effect on the (turning) performance of a plane such as the Mosquito?
Thanks for any help,

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
question for widewing
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »
Originally posted by Yossarian
Just out of interest, for a plane like the P-38, would it turn better in a specific direction if you were to reduce the power to 1 engine during the turn?  Also, is the amount of torque only reduced if you decrease the RPMs (as opposed to ONLY reducing the manifold pressure)?  Would my original question have any effect on the (turning) performance of a plane such as the Mosquito?
Thanks for any help,

Yossarian

This is a question really only someone like a trainer/WideWing could answer, but from my experience, reducing power to one engine on the 38 really only helps with roll/getting out of a stall/and a little bit during a hammerhead.  Since the engine isn't on the center line, I doubt it would help you turn better my using its torque.  It might actually hurt you, and anyway, if you're in the medium to slower speed range it would just be robbing you of needed E, and that's never good.:aok   Hope that clears a little up until someone with more knowledge on this comes.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
question for widewing
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »
Donkey has it right.  

Reducing the power on the downwing engine in a level turn would do a couple of things.  At the beginning of the turn (i.e., as you roll into the turn) it would provide a very slight improvement in roll rate into the turn which you would probably not even notice (this is caused by yaw and dihedral effect).  Is it worth it?  No.  Use your rudder.

Reduced power in the turn means you will reduce your sustained turn rate (again, in a level turn).  In a level turn the only thing fighting drag is your engine power, reduce it and drag becomes more dominant and you will slow down (lose E) at a greater rate.  Also, split throttles would mean an uncoordinated turn which causes even more drag unless you can keep the ball centered in the turn without rudder.  

Reducing power on the downwing engine in a vertical rudder reversal should help as you're trying to swing your nose down at slow speed where your flight controls have reduced power so you're using thrust to augment the yaw rate.  That's provided of course that the differential thrust doesn't cause you to depart.

The amount of torque produced is related to MP, not RPM.  MP is a direct indication of how much power you are applying through the prop.  Low MP = low power = reduced torque/p-factor.  RPM does relate to gyroscopic effects (the effect of a rotating mass) which has some effect at very low airspeeds (and in something called a coupled departure which you won't see here in AH) but it's small compared to the torque.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:36:05 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
question for widewing
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
Donkey has it right.  

:) Do I get a carrot?

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
question for widewing
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
Goooood Donkey  :)
Mace

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
question for widewing
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
Goooood Donkey  :)

HeeHaw!:)
2sBlind

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
question for widewing
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:05:54 AM »
Originally posted by DoNKeY
Hey, you're not WideWing! hehe :aok

Planes like the P-38 with counter-rotating props turn the same either way due to them not having an issue with torque.

donkey

if i'm not mistaken, doesn't this also give the 38 a slight advantage in ythe verticle? it never seems to work for me, but i thought i've seen others use it.

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
question for widewing
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
Originally posted by DoNKeY
HeeHaw!:)

ok....now i'm hearing banjo music in my head, and seeing hot blondes running around in very short shorts:D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
question for widewing
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 01:26:37 AM »
well, I won't comment on the previous post, :p  but thanks for the help ppl:aok :D

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
question for widewing
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 06:42:34 AM »
Originally posted by CAP1
if i'm not mistaken, doesn't this also give the 38 a slight advantage in ythe verticle? it never seems to work for me, but i thought i've seen others use it.

<>
Yes it would make a difference for any counter-rotating design.  Very low speed flight or handling right at the edge of stall and beyond is highly affected by torque which gains more prominance as flight control effectiveness deminishes.  For instance, take an F4U straight up to a stall and you're going to go one way, left.  That's why when in a vertical fight against one you want to offset a little to his right because it will be very difficult for him to rotate his nose to the right.  With counter-rotating designs you don't have that problem.
Mace

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
question for widewing
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »
So the Yak and Tiffie would turn better to the left?I checked most of the other aircraft,and the props turn to the right.I wonder if AH models this or not?The Zero prop turns to the right,but I thought I read something on that matter,and in all actuallity it turned to the left.
IronDog

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
question for widewing
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
Originally posted by IronDog
So the Yak and Tiffie would turn better to the left?I checked most of the other aircraft,and the props turn to the right.I wonder if AH models this or not?The Zero prop turns to the right,but I thought I read something on that matter,and in all actuallity it turned to the left.
IronDog

The prop roation and resulting torque are modeled in the game.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.