Author Topic: easy plane to land  (Read 1269 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
easy plane to land
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »
Well, I'm sure it's the pilot more than the plane, I'm practicing in a spitfire mark8, I'll try some of the others and just keep at it.
Thanks for the tips

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 11:17:23 AM »
Stick with the Spit 8.  It was my first plane, and is a great first plane to learn in.  Swapping around will only create more difficulty for you.  I come in at around 1500 feet, flaps on, around 100 MPH.  Watch your altimeter, as you get really close to ground level (can vary base to base), reduce throttle completely or shutoff engine, as soon as you hear the tires burp on the tarmac, raise flaps, keep plane straight, and as your speed slows pull full back on the stick and begin applying your brakes.  It sounds so simple in condensed form, but you are doing the right thing in practicing.  Keep it up!:aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline bergy

• Copper Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 11:31:46 AM »
I agree with Yankedudle on the goon and bombers being easy landers, I also agree that F4U's are the hardest to land succesfully. I find the P51 and P47's are easy landers as are the P40"s and A6M2's.
Game name ToeTag

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
While spits may have docile handling and easy-mode stalls, they have a narrow track landing gear. Perhaps not the best for landing practice. A wide, stable, landing gear is better to land with because once you touch down you are very stable, and can slow down without risk of toppling over (as new folks might do).

Planes with wide landing gears that I would suggest first:

P-47 or P-51: Both a bit faster approach speeds. Not best but do-able.

Fw190s: Use flaps and don't over-control it or you might stall out. Not as good at slow speeds as spit but still decent

Ki-84: Once you slow past 165mph you can use the flaps. Full flaps and this thing floats gently. Wide landing gear. Good visibility. I suggest this one to practice landing with.

Not a definitive list, just the first thoughts off my head.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
Originally posted by yankedudel
Easiest for me is: C-47, B-24, B-17.

Sorry, had to...

Actually thats pretty good advice. Learning to land the easy ones will help you in landing the fighters. I know spending my first few months in bombers and goons allowed me to make the transition to fighters needing only to learn the combat end.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:07 PM »
What is this landing stuff of which you speak?  I've yet to encounter it in the game myself......:noid :noid
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
Guppy, it's like that thing you do when you get all those "You have Ditched" messages....

:t

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
Originally posted by yankedudel
Easiest for me is: C-47, B-24, B-17.

Sorry, had to...

I'd agree with this too, if a new person wants to get a feel with landings and get a few under there belt,  The C-47 is really easy to land.
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
Zeke is super simple. Line up with runway, cut power. coast down to about 150, drop flaps, it will settle quickly with full flaps, add power, just enough to keep it floating earthward. As it settles near the runway, pull back on the stick to get nose up and let it float to the ground. Using flaps and getting the speed down are the probably the most important things. once the tail is down you pull back on the stick all the way. This locks the tail wheel. Just remember to get the speed down and float in on flaps. The stall buzzer will tell you if you get going to slow. just add power as needed. The zeke will float in and will land at like 85mph with full flaps. Landings are a non-event with a bit of practice.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »
Originally posted by bergy
I agree with Yankedudle on the goon and bombers being easy landers.
hahaha, i think yanke was being a smartazz w/ the bombers and goons, but they are pretty easy. i learned to land in bombers because of external view
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »
Back when I played, I found the easiest plane for me to land, was the one I flew the most. But, I found the P38 pretty easy to fly.

Go into the Training Arena and select a plane. Take off from a field, circle back around with some decent altitude, and line up with the runway. Keep decreasing your throttle steadily, and make sure you dont slam your nose into the runway. Try to keep a nice angle upwards, kinda like you're stalling. You should be going pretty slow on decent, and on the verge of stalling.

Mind you, I did all of this off of pure memory. I haven't played in, well, I don't remember how long. Maybe a year or two.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
easy plane to land
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
Originally posted by waystin2
Stick with the Spit 8.  It was my first plane, and is a great first plane to learn in.  Swapping around will only create more difficulty for you.  I come in at around 1500 feet, flaps on, around 100 MPH.  Watch your altimeter, as you get really close to ground level (can vary base to base), reduce throttle completely or shutoff engine, as soon as you hear the tires burp on the tarmac, raise flaps, keep plane straight, and as your speed slows pull full back on the stick and begin applying your brakes.  It sounds so simple in condensed form, but you are doing the right thing in practicing.  Keep it up!:aok

While I generally agree about switching around, I tried some other planes and was able to land.

I was getting frustrated and felt I needed to get some successful landings because ditching or crashing every time didn't seem to be helping me learn.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
Jim

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Planes with wide landing gears that I would suggest first:

Fw190s: Use flaps and don't over-control it or you might stall out. Not as good at slow speeds as spit but still decent

Even though the 190's have wide-track gear I fly them a lot and I still bounce them on landing almost every time.

The F4U's are easy to land, but not for some people.

The F6F likes to turn as it comes to rest and takes a lot of rudder/wheel brake to correct.

I find the Ta-152 the harderst to keep from ground-looping on me.

The P-38's are easiest.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Razgriz110

• Zinc Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
i'm a rookie myself and i've found the spitfire to be the easiest to
land
In war, air superiority is the ultimate
expression of military might

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
easy plane to land
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 10:21:02 AM »
The Trimset command greatly increased my survivability during F4U landings.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54