Author Topic: Iditarod  (Read 771 times)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »
I'm excited about the Iditarod. :)
Supposed to be able to log on to track the progress of the racers this year.
The summer before Susan Butcher died I was in Fairbanks & got some nice pictures of her at her training site.  Was something else. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Iditarod
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:49 AM »
I have never really figured out why, but I love this event.
You have a link Mom?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »
not yet. was planning on looking at http://www.iditarod.com later to find it though.

this year I was supposed to contact one of our little local elementary schools to give them the whole "alaska" talk. Each year they run their own mini-iditarod through their school.   I forgot to contact them though ~ been busy since Sept/Oct... and let time slip away from me. I realized it this morning. :( I'm disappointed about that. I'll have to try to contact her again for next year I guess. Oh well.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Iditarod
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »
Thanks. Loading the interactive trail map now.
I remember when Curt Gowdy used to do the coverage on this a long time ago. The man could nearly put you there.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »
A super book: Spirit of the Wind. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Iditarod
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
Originally posted by texasmom
A super book: Spirit of the Wind. :)

:eek: :eek:
Nearly dropped my coffee.
On Amazon starting at $69.95 , to $133.34.
I`m still looking. lol

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:57 AM »
Try ebay. If you can't find a reasonable price send a PM. I'll send you my copy. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Iditarod
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »
Originally posted by texasmom
Try ebay. If you can't find a reasonable price send a PM. I'll send you my copy. :)

eBay was a blank.

Found a couple of different places to get it at the original $14.95. (jonvanzyle and Epicenter press) I`ll get one from one of these.

Wow! What a generous offer though.

Was sort of a pain to find I think due to the Dragonlance series of the same name.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Iditarod
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
Theres a gay dude from Ft. Lauderdale who tried running 58 miniature poodles in this grueling race.  There were many problems.... tangled harness and lines due to so many dogs, and he also had to carry heavy canned dog food because his poodles wouldn't eat frozen fish... and the poodles were too easily distracted by constantly trying to lick each other's balls....  it was a mess.   He didn't get too far.  I think he took some sort of prize for the best groomed dogs tho.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
The summer before Susan Butcher died

I had no idea she died. :(

I was still stationed in Alaska in '85 when she was setting records to virtually all checkpoints before a moose got into her dog team and killed several and injured several more. She's the second 4 time winner of the Iditarod.

Before I left Alaska she won 2 Iditarods, 86 and 87. Then she won 2 more in 88 and 90.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »
Yep, sorry to say that she sure did.
http://www.susanbutcher.com/

There's this little riverboat tour that Ms. Butcher was "part" of.  One of the stops along the route for the riverboat was at her home/training camp.  She stood out on the ground w/her mic; broadcast into the speakers of the boat... she talked some about her training facility, showed off some of the dogs, and let them pull her around the lake (she was on a 4-wheeler)... then later along the riverboat tour ~ you get stop & walk around at another site where some of her dogs were out (along with some other touristy attractions).

I was so pleased & excited to have been able to see her... and so very disappointed to hear that she'd died.

p.s. sounds like the guy from FL was a total retard.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:30:21 PM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Iditarod
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »
Jackal, when you look at that interactive map ~ see White Mountain? Go north from there & when you get to the water again, that's where my family lives. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Iditarod
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
The Anchorage Daily News has a lot of great stuff on the Iditarod:

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/
They have a great memorial on Butcher

You can also read about the Anchorage Fur Rendezvous, which is one of the biggest wackiest winter festivals anywhere.

I've been reading about the Iron Dog, which is a 2,000 mile snowmachine/snowmobile race (the biggest in the world).

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Iditarod
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
I was watching an interview with Butcher when she took her dogs up to Denali...  yes, to the peak of...

Somebody asked her if she ever got lonely racing sled dogs, being 200 miles+ from anyone else, and she said, "Lonely?  I'm here with a dozen of my closest friends!"
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Iditarod
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
I became aware of the Iditarod when I was in Jr. High during the 70's. I read a biography about a kid that had a bum leg, but developed a unique kicking style to mush. He set a bunch of records, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. Mom?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:06:11 PM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.