Author Topic: HTC: GV Graphics Turned Down :(  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
HTC: GV Graphics Turned Down :(
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »
Originally posted by ridley1
If this 'fix' prevents other gv's from nailing me when I'm hiding behind a hill...please...hurry up with the patch.

Though it won't stop the general whining about "cheating" in GV's. I have killed many a tanker that thought he was safe behind his hill. Not being aware that one could see his pintle mount, or you could even use gunflash only as a reference.
And of course we will still read a lot of "You shot me through the hill!!"  :rofl

But thanks HTC for correcting that detail slider issue :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
Today I got pooched by a camper. I watched as his shells came through the hill I was beside. Even from my pintle position, I couldn't see him.  (I knew where he was....I had been killed 10+ times) I mean...I couldn't even see the hill that I knew he was on.

I was also killed hiding behind a tree......the shells coming through it.  I try to shoot through a tree....it stops my shell.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »
Originally posted by ridley1
Today I got pooched by a camper. I watched as his shells came through the hill I was beside. Even from my pintle position, I couldn't see him.  (I knew where he was....I had been killed 10+ times) I mean...I couldn't even see the hill that I knew he was on.

I was also killed hiding behind a tree......the shells coming through it.  I try to shoot through a tree....it stops my shell.

First, just because I can't see an enemy from any of my tank's crew postiton, that doesn't mean he can't either. He just has to see a very small part of your tank protruding from cover - a little piece of gun or MG barrel, just a tiny bit of your tracks.
And sometimes you can even correctly guess if you do not actually see the tank - SA in vehicles :)

Second: Nobody shoots through hills & trees.
It sometime seems they do, but this is a result of how the graphics are displayed in this game. Only your own shells are renderd in detail and with correct trajectories.
All rounds fired by anybody else are just displayed in a simplified way on your screen. While on your screen it may look as if shooting through a hill, on their screen they just shot over it.
Next time you see an enemy Ostwind or Panzer taking down a town, take a close look at it: Often you will see most of his bullets go through the town and hit the ground or trees behind it. Yet there are buildings exploding. No, he isn't a blind gunner - on his FE almost all of his shells do hit the buildings...

Like in collisions or shooting at "impossible" angles in planes, the magic keywords are again "your FE" and "his FE". And lag can be a issue in GV's too.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:40:48 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Crockett: Even before this bug/exploit, no planes had problems finding GVs. If they were looking, they could find them with a little effort. Aircraft never had to "cheat" to see the enemy tanks. Also they have icons within 3k or so.

It was only an exploit for GVers who were trying to get single-shot kills from 5k out and the like . It was specific only to GVs looking for enemy GVs, not for planes looking for GVs, or GVs looking for planes, or planes looking for planes. Just GV v. GV action was affected.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
Originally posted by 715
Due to the vagries of hit detection with trees and little hills, it was entirely possible to actually shoot through some hills if you could see the tank behind them by turning down detail.  [I don't mean lobbing shells over a hill, I mean straight through them.]  

Absolutely 100% false.  Film?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »
I understand the osti/town thing.

But no matter...this patch will alter gv play. I think...

I reserve my right to whine after it comes out. Deal?

Offline ssDruid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »
Sorry for killing you at your spawn site Ridley. Will try not to do it next time.

:rofl :aok

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »
Bugs/fixes aside, I notice someone claiming to spot vehicles from 10 miles (nearly 18K yards in game). Isn't the range at which plane or gv "dots" are rendered half that?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »
yeah, well, If I'm dumb enough to up 20 times......

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
... I'm sorry they're going out of business because I'm not going to buy it.

Can I use that for sig material? :rofl
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
Originally posted by eh
Can shrubs still overturn tanks?

No but the mere leaf of a maple tree is still strong enough to flip a 56 ton Tiger over LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Though it won't stop the general whining about "cheating" in GV's. I have killed many a tanker that thought he was safe behind his hill. Not being aware that one could see his pintle mount, or you could even use gunflash only as a reference.
And of course we will still read a lot of "You shot me through the hill!!"  :rofl

But thanks HTC for correcting that detail slider issue :aok

I think the point he may have been trying ot make is with the graphic slider trick.
Trees and some hills become invisible allowing you to clearly see the GV trying to hide or travel behind it.

I know using the slider trick I've seen GVs climbing invisible hills and look as though they are levitating.

What I think is desired.
By me as well as others.
Is that the settings be that if you cant see the GV wih the sliders up.
you shouldnt be able to see them with the sliders down

the trick thats being use is you turn the detail sliders all the way down. and the range sliders all the way up.

This is what allows you to see GVs at great range reguardless of terrain as the detail sliders seem to not effect the GVs. only the terrain.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Absolutely 100% false.  Film?

I am aware that people do not believe this.  That's fine.  Nevertheless, I was hiding behind a tall hill.  [I almost never engage directly. With my T34 I lie in wait hidden until someone drives by and fire at short range.]  Even in max up commanders view the top of the hill was maybe another 15-20 ft above me, and all other portions of my tank.  I was right up against the hill.  You cannot "lob" a shell over the hill and hit me- it's geometrically impossible.  In any case the tracers were going right through the base of the hill.  And yes, the other tank was some distance away directly on the other side of the hill.  It doesn't always happen, only with certain hills.  And it doesn't happen often because I suspect only a few people use the turn down detail method, and they therefore wouldn't see me.  However, I don't care enough to bother filming it.  I just go do something else.

Offline Leayme

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »
I have noticed when I am in a GV, that you can spot the tracks of someone hugging or sitting on a hill, thru the hill, most of the time.

I too have been shot when completely covered by the hill, no pintle exposed, back a suitable distance from the edge. I was set up to take out tanks going by my position where I could shoot them broadside, when I heard the ping, then the clang of a hit, popped up into the pintle and witnessed the next round coming thru the side of the large hill I was situated near, but far enough away that you should not have been able to spot the track on it.

I think it has something to do with lag, refresh rates and how different computers "SEE" the information displayed and the other system, just didn't see the hill and so got a hit and maybe a kill.

Of course this is idle speculation on my part, I don't know enough about code and the like to be even dangerous to my own computer....thankfully :D

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
There isn't a single misspelled word in that post. Who are you and what have you done with HiTech!!  :O

Where I'm from, we spell "supposed" with an extra p.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson