Author Topic: Aces HIGH II for MAC?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline defndr

• Zinc Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »
Hey guys! I'm currently a WARBIRDS (The competition) player because I have a mac and it's my only online WWII combat sim option.

I'm probably going to get dug into the dirt for asking this, but anyone know any plans of ACES HIGH going MAC OS?

There seems to be a lot of progression graphically in this game and I'm curious to see how it compares to warbirds.  

Anyway I hear great things about Aces High and if the answer is no, then i"ll just sit back and watch in sheer jealousy as the progression of the game takes your experience higher! hehe

If there is no hope for me as a mac user (by choice of profession) then I'll gladly accept donations to put towards a PC.   jk...sorta ;)

Anyway, any input would help to shatter this wave of curiosity that has come over me.  (Been drooling over the screenshots for too long now...especially the latest updated ones).

Thanks guys! !

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
Buy or build a PC and join the fun. Mac version aint gonna happen.

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »
I think Hap was/is running AH on a mac.  Perhaps he will show up here and can fill you in.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
No plans for a Mac version but you can run it with boot camp from what I understand.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »
It runs via bootcamp.  I had it running on my macbook pro, but I only play it on my windows PC cause I didn't need windows on my mac any longer..
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
Comp. I use
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »
I run this for Aces High:

ASUS Mainboard: A7n8xe socket A         $ 100.00 - 120.00
2500 Mobile CPU                                    $   90.00
CPU cooler                                              $ 12.00
Memory: 1 gig                                         $  75.00
Vid Card: 7900 Gt                                   $159.99
Case                                                       $  50.00
HD                                                          $ Under $100.00
Windows XP                                  $  just over $100.00 or cheaper if Student

This is Just One of many options to consider..

Kamori

Offline defndr

• Zinc Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »
Great response guys thanks so much. Year i hear bootcamp is good for running windows based software including games. I bought the last G5 without the intel chip and I think bootcamp needs it. It's a beast of a machine (layed out for HD video editing) so it's got the horse power.

The builda pc thing might work, i may look at that option ... not sure how my wife to be will love the idea of me having another computer to play my sim on though ;).  Boys and their toys is all i can say.

I'll look at bootcamp and it's compatibility with NON-INTEL based macs and see where my options are.

I'm determined to make this work...determined i say!

How do you guys like the game? Strength's weaknesses? Community?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:10:39 AM by defndr »

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:13:46 AM »
Works like a charm via Boot Camp.  You'll need an XP disk with Service Pack 2 on it.

Really easy to install.  Leopard has Boot Camp as a standard feature.  I suppose you can use Parallels or the like.  I've not tried that.

There's only 1 thing you have to do: HTC Folder > Rt Click on the Black Spade icon > left clk the "Compatibility Tab."

Now I forget which one I chose . . . Want to say Windows Me/98 or something like that.  Only 1 worked for me, and it was easy to find.

When it's wrong, you get a sorta of spinning clipboard and VERY weird stuff on your end.  When you pick the right one, it's all good.

Rock solid 60 fps, 24" monitor on my iMac.  Has 2 gigs of memory and the good nVidia card.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »
If its not an intell chip it won't run windows. IIRC
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »
Boot Camp requires an Intel CPU.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline defndr

• Zinc Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:20:18 AM »
K i figured but wanted to be 100% sure.  Are the system requirements super heavy? If i ran it on an intel laptop  

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive

would I get good framerates? Not sure how much of a drag running bootcamp windows software like Aces High will boggle down the system...if at all.

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
Originally posted by defndr
K i figured but wanted to be 100% sure.  Are the system requirements super heavy? If i ran it on an intel laptop  

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive

would I get good framerates? Not sure how much of a drag running bootcamp windows software like Aces High will boggle down the system...if at all.

With that setup, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting decent frame rates.  I started playing on a machine with lower specs than that, running the high res pack, settings to full detail and had no slowdown.

Offline defndr

• Zinc Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
Cool thanks again guys! I'll take these options into consideration!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
Defnder,

Give it a try.  No knowing till you do.  Oh, there's 1 other setting I just recalled that made a frame rate difference.

Under Video settings, or thereabouts, piddle with checking the box "Unlimited."  I think that's the one that worked best for me.  When I had 60 checked my fps tanked.  Or it's the other way around.  But I don't think so.  Think I got it right that I had "Unlimited" checked.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Aces HIGH II for MAC?
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
Originally posted by defndr

How do you guys like the game? Strength's weaknesses? Community?

A lot of your fellow Warbirds crew have already made the switch. AH2 has a bit of everything here, I'm sure you'll get as addicted as the rest of us!