Author Topic: Spit I  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Spit I
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
I've flown this a little bit in the furball lake area of the DA, and in the AvA, and I have had it do some odd things on me.  

It seems as if it stalls much differently than other Spits.. almost like a floating leaf type stall that is difficult to recover from.  The P-40B has the same feeling for me.  

Does anyone else have similar experiences with those planes?  The Hurricane I is rock solid, by comparison.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Spit I
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
I thoroughly enjoy flying the Spit 1.   When diving I rarely stall it, as I dive inverted.  

Best Spit IMO.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spit I
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I've flown this a little bit in the furball lake area of the DA, and in the AvA, and I have had it do some odd things on me.  

It seems as if it stalls much differently than other Spits.. almost like a floating leaf type stall that is difficult to recover from.  The P-40B has the same feeling for me.  

Does anyone else have similar experiences with those planes?  The Hurricane I is rock solid, by comparison.

Lets just say the negative G engine cut out and the fabric ailerons take a bit of getting used to.

Fun bird though.  Haven't run into the stall you talk about.  But then again my wing is usually flying off before I reach that point :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:22:43 PM »
It seems as if it stalls much differently than other Spits.. almost like a floating leaf type stall that is difficult to recover from.  

Actually, I have found it impossible to recover from this stall.  Happens when you're inverted and slow, typically at the top of a loop.  I used to be able to get the same thing in a 38G, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

There are a number of people who refuse to fly the Spit I for this reason (looks sideways at Dedalos).  If you're careful about it, usually you can avoid it.

- oldman

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Spit I
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Actually, I have found it impossible to recover from this stall.  Happens when you're inverted and slow, typically at the top of a loop.  I used to be able to get the same thing in a 38G, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

There are a number of people who refuse to fly the Spit I for this reason (looks sideways at Dedalos).  If you're careful about it, usually you can avoid it.

- oldman

other planes do the same stall.. 110 is another and huri 1 will do it too.. Seems to mainly be planes that are under powered. It typically happens at the top of a stall when you don't have enough energy to continue the loop over.

Spit 1 and Huri 1 are real tough to get out of that spin. Simply because the engine wont start to help you out.

so if you are inverted, go engine off and point the stick forward. Try to get the nose to bounce so you and get into a diffrent spin and you should be able to pull out.

You can pull out of it once you know how.

see this topic I had the same question a while back.. :D

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219237&highlight=inverted+stall
"strafing"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

i actually had a spit9 do that yto me the other day in MA..........first time it ever took me 10,000 feet to recover a stall...........no matter what i did, the nose wouldn;'t drop for me....working throttle, rudder, even flaps............in the end i recovered, and the guy had followed me all the way down(he never shot at me in the stall) <> oldman......but once recovered, he proceeded to continue kicking my azzzzzz..........

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
Spit I
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
I thought this was the famous spit stall.  I have done it in a mostly pure loop, but most of the time it seems like more of an accel stall right at the edge of a pure stall.  The solution is to watch your speed, and don't get target fixation and try a vertical maneuver without the speed to complete it.  You have to be a lot smoother on the controls when slow in the spit; you cannot throw it around with abandon like you can when you have some speed.

I have lots of practice failing to recover.  The only thing that has ever worked was to drop flaps, and as they come down drop gear and raise the flaps back up to get the nose to bounce.  I do not cut the engine.  If the flaps were already out, get them up and cycle the gear.  Once you can get the nose down, apply just enough back pressure to keep the engine running, or to get it to refire if it has cut off.  If the engine has been off long enough, you may need to restart it.  Regardless you will need a bunch of altitude or even more luck to recover, and now your enemy has a huge E advantage.  I rarely recover, so that's not much of an issue.
Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Spit I
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:43 AM »
I had exactly this in a spit IX yesterday for the first time, couldnt recover it in over 9000' although got close a coupla times. its weird, feels like the spitty flat-spin which I can usually deal with but with no fwd motion to help out.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Spit I
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 08:43:37 AM »
I've had the exact same thing happen to me in other Spits.  It happens if you are slow and inverted then stall.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Spit I
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »
Am I the only who nevers stalls a spit? Sure I do do it on purpose sometimes, but never just stall out accidentally. :p

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Spit I
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
Am I the only who nevers stalls a spit?  

Beginning to sound like it.

You must fly Spits a lot.

- oldman

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Spit I
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:08 PM »
How did you guess!!!! :O

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Spit I
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I've had the exact same thing happen to me in other Spits.  It happens if you are slow and inverted then stall.

see..this is the thing.....i was slow, as i was trying to turn inside a hurricane(ya, i know i should've known better), but wasn't inverted...i was in approximatly a 50-60 degre banked turn riding the stall, as we all do in spits, hurris, zekes, etc.....then suddenly, i wasn't flying anymore, i was falling....agonizingly slow too:rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »

It is liquid cooled engine, u will notice if u go to steep, or climb 2 fast your engine will cut out.... dont fly the spit 1, its garbage lol

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Spit I
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »
Originally posted by redman555
It is liquid cooled engine, u will notice if u go to steep, or climb 2 fast your engine will cut out.... dont fly the spit 1, its garbage lol

-BigBOBCH

err liquid cooled engines are fine with climbs... i think you mean carburetor based fuel system vs injection....
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37