Author Topic: Killing GVs  (Read 387 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Killing GVs
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »
Hi, could someone please tell me how to kill a GV with guns, from an aircraft?  I'm quite bad at A2A, but when it comes to GVs, I'm useless unless I'm in a 110G-2 shooting at an M3 or something with really light armour.

Also, what's the best way to kill a Flak?

Thanks,

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
Killing GVs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
It's best to let the GV's to the tanks and flaks, we go past the vehicles too fast to get a good shot in.  

Best way to take out a flak is to shoot at it.
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Killing GVs
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »
To kill a flak with guns:

Gun size or lethality isn't important. Volume of fire and good ballistics are; they help you putting a lot of rounds in that turret at reasonable distances.

Try to utilize the help of a wingman - one distracts the Ostwind, the other one closes in for the kill.

If you are alone, get some alt & seperation first. Observe your foe. Is he waiting for you or driving? If driving, preferably wait 'till he has to navigate through broken  ground or obstacles, he might have to jump into the driver position for that. Have patience. Maybe he runs into an obstacle, if you see him trying to back up, attack immediately. If he's sitting at your town, wait and circle around him at 2k distance. When he's tired of waiting for you and starts killing buildings again, you strike!

Dive as steep as possible. That will hamper his aim massively while making it easier for you to put bullets into the open top. Get between him and the sun first. You may also not directly towards him but onto some imagined point 100yds to the side, then putting your nose at him at the last possible moment.

For killing Tanks with Hurri IID and Il-2 guns: http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=209030
Hunting tanks with B-25H's 75mm main gun follows basically the same guidelines, but do not dive that steep and watch your speed - very easy to auger or overstress your GV.

(I think I will put up a revised article on tankbusting this week)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:59:38 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
Killing GVs
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
Yossarian what your asking could easily fill 10 pages worth of information.  M3.......what's your angle of attack (deflection shots), where are you placing shots.......M3 has open cockpit, driver's window is good shot, front windshield is good shot, coming down from high angle targeting open areas of vehicle is good shot............what's your speed, the faster the better (IMO).

All other GVs, it's a matter of knowing and learning the weak spots.  HTC did a good job on the modeling and all of them have historical weak spots.  Most armor for instance is weaker from the rear.  With guns 20mm and up, you can (with practise) easily pop the gun or engine.

With Osti's, again with guns only, the best attack if from straight above it.  Osti gun is least effective when it has to point straight up.  Target is the open gunnery position.  You place a few rounds into the open turret and you'll pop the gun every time.  However, Osti will still have a hull gun.

Ultimately. a well placed 500 pounder will do the job on all of them.  The steeper and faster the drop.......the better.

Hopefully this helps a little.

SWrokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Killing GVs
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
your best bet here is to hook up with a trainer and they can do some one on one training with you. there is so much info on killing gvs with Hurri 2 D's alone not to mention that there is the IL2 Yak  B25 190A8 190F5
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Killing GVs
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Always work with a wingman. The person going in for the kill should be smart and take a slower plane with 20mm+ guns.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Killing GVs
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
Ok, I'll try as many of these tips as I can.

Thanks for all the help :aok

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Killing GVs
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »
Also, don't use the YakT for gv busting, it's 37mm shoots HE rounds, Not AP.   Il2 is probably the best Tank killer IMO, with the B25H coming right behind it.

<--- uses the IL2 to bust GV's.  Very Effective if you know the thanks weak points.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Killing GVs
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »
Originally posted by MjTalon
Very Effective if you know the thanks weak points.

Also, you get a crap load of perks for 6-10 kills.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com