Author Topic: Yak-9U  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Yak-9U
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:46:57 AM »

I could learn to like this airplane when the eny is up, or, I want to farm a few more perks. I really dig it. The only real problem Im having with it is in trimming the thing correctly. The Yak always seems to want to buck up. Still all in all a really nice fighter plane. I'd love to see the Russian set filled out more.

The "real war" was fought on the eastern front after all.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Yak-9U
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »
even if the eny is low you can use it...its a very fast airplane, in acceleration and max speed, a dreadful climber also. It will give the la7 a hard time, and it can operate over 7K and has more fuel. IMO if it had better guns it would be perked :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:56:57 PM »
At 17K the Yak-9U is capable of over 400 mph tgs.  It will run with the fastest planes in the arena and has a good climb rate.  It's got a decent turn rate (better than most fast planes) but not great.  It's a deceptively small target, difficult for an enemy to hit and takes damage extremely well (I've continued to stay and fight in it missing an elevator, an aileron, a gun and a hit to my oil and won).  It shares the poor ballistics of most Russian/Japanese fighters but if you hit the 2x20's are deadly (keep convergence inside 400 max).

About the only thing to dislike about the 9U is the lack of WEP (try to hold E to compensate) and control stiffness at speed (use throttle to control speed and keep those trim controls at hand).

The 9T is considerably slower and climbs worse but the 37mm's really pack a punch if you hit with them.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:27 AM »
Yak has the equivalent of full time wep that you don't need to mess with, its always on. :)

Ohhh and bald thats a single 20mm in the yak9u.

Secret to killing with it, get close, then get closer, then get inside 200, then fire a burst and watch him fall apart. Inside 200 yards the ShVaks are almost as good as the Hispanos damage wise.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:29:49 PM »

Thanks fellas. I really like the Yak and plan more action in it. I'll say this, and dont know why it is, but the absolute best fights Ive had in my LaLa's have been with Yaks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:16:06 AM »
According to my squaddies, WWII russian pilots were arguing on wich one was better...to the point that 9GIAP and the Normandie Niemen had a mock fight to settle it out (Normandie was in Yak3, 9GIAP in la7's if I remember well).

It ended in a draw :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline cambria

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »
I dig the Yak, too. I'm just not very good with them. My biggest problem is the amount of ammo... not that I'm much of a "spray and pray" pilot, but I'm just not good enough (yet) to make the Yak's ammo last more than a fight or two.
Waiting for the Mitsubishi G4M3 Betty and the MiG-3.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
The 9U is an evil little plane. I had the extreme misfortune of having Baldeagl run down my tiffie at 20k while I had WEP going full bore. Needless to say he dispatched me to the tower. I had no idea it was that fast until I sent him a PM asking how he made that thing move so fast. I was completely unaware that she would go over 400 straight and level.  :furious :aok
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »
The 9U is an evil little plane. I had the extreme misfortune of having Baldeagl run down my tiffie at 20k while I had WEP going full bore. Needless to say he dispatched me to the tower. I had no idea it was that fast until I sent him a PM asking how he made that thing move so fast. I was completely unaware that she would go over 400 straight and level.  :furious :aok

Flying a Typhoon at 20k is very much like flying a P-47 in the weeds. It's out of its element up there.

Here's the Typhoon's speed curve.

Here's the Yak's speed curve.

Notice that the Yak is markedly faster at 20k...

Get the Typhoon down low and the Yak cannot catch you. However, I suppose you know that now... ;)

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:49:50 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SSgtHam

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
I too have absolutely fallen in love with the Yak.  Both the T and U versions work great for me.  It takes some getting used to and i'm not exactly the greatest pilot ever, but i've had some great fights with this little demon :t  Actually, I think the Yak is quite underrated.  I typically never see anyone flying it.

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 08:58:40 PM »
i love the u and t i use the t as a tank buster and the u as a fighter i love the u most people dont respect the yak because it doesnt have wep which means most people think it is slow and its funy when you chase down some slow plane and then you get a personal mesage that says hacker
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
Yak-9U still my baby. Always will be.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
Yak-9U still my baby. Always will be.

It became mine, but then I had to cancel my subscription because my GPU crapped out on me, and I currently have bigger priorities than ordering a $120 replacement... Regardless of that, it's a fantastic aircraft, and is remarkably agile in all aspects (not the best turner, but everything else is blissfully responsive).

And I dare say that it's the best plane I've yet used for rolling scissors. Even my trusty, hard-flown Spitfire Mk. IX can't get me out of a jam like the Yak-9U can.

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »
The "T" is fun to hunt bombers with if your bored. That big cannon does a number on them and if you catch them sleeping they are in trouble. My best has been 5 out of 6 in 1 sortie and you should have heard the whines. :t

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
I will go  back to flying it when it gets updated.. they had to fix the tard-7 and La5 first though I guess :frown: