Author Topic: Wanted: players or squads with heart  (Read 1331 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Re: Wanted: players or squads with heart
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
Funny how those "frowned on" tactics work great...if you are the one scoring the kill!

:)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 04:47:15 AM »
Funny how the people bashing jaeger, JG54, and AvA dont even fly there. Think about it, they dont fly there so they dont want anyone else to eather.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 07:10:28 AM »
Larry:

I don't think its nearly that simple. When AvA went to the new format, I really tried to like it. We even had some squad nights there...but my experience was pretty close to what the other guys have said. Lots of vulching, base porking with bomb and bail, gang attacks...smaller version of the MA.

What's funny is that I was flying axis that month. Makes me shiver to think what the game play must be like with significant numbers imbalance, since all the recruiting I see calls for Allied players.

Gotta ask - -why the heck is that? One of the AvA's truly great past aspects was the way established players freely switched sides to keep the game play fun. I'd guess you're seeing the darker side of the new "team" based approach. But if so, one wonders why a squad or two wouldn't move to Allied at the end of a month.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:12:26 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
Larry:

I don't think its nearly that simple. When AvA went to the new format, I really tried to like it. We even had some squad nights there...but my experience was pretty close to what the other guys have said. Lots of vulching, base porking with bomb and bail, gang attacks...smaller version of the MA.

What's funny is that I was flying axis that month. Makes me shiver to think what the game play must be like with significant numbers imbalance, since all the recruiting I see calls for Allied players.

Gotta ask - -why the heck is that? One of the AvA's truly great past aspects was the way established players freely switched sides to keep the game play fun. I'd guess you're seeing the darker side of the new "team" based approach. But if so, one wonders why a squad or two wouldn't move to Allied at the end of a month.

Its a war, the goal of which is to take bases. Of course there is going to be vulching, base porking, and ganging thats how this game is played. The numbers are good, thing is that axis pilots are more skilled in our planes because two of the biggest axis squads are JG54 and JG11. The avengers are also flying axis with us. We axis are some times out numbered 3:1 but still hold off attacks on our bases. Just last night we took some eleven bases on about two hours with even numbers. So its not we need allied pilots its we need good allied pilots or squads. We still have good 'ol CT fights when the numbers are low, but when we kick it in to gear we show no mercy to any one who thinks uping from a caped base or flying into a formation of squadies and think they are going to get a one on one.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »

Its a war, the goal of which is to take bases. Of course there is going to be vulching, base porking, and ganging thats how this game is played. The numbers are good, thing is that axis pilots are more skilled in our planes because two of the biggest axis squads are JG54 and JG11. The avengers are also flying axis with us. We axis are some times out numbered 3:1 but still hold off attacks on our bases. Just last night we took some eleven bases on about two hours with even numbers. So its not we need allied pilots its we need good allied pilots or squads. We still have good 'ol CT fights when the numbers are low, but when we kick it in to gear we show no mercy to any one who thinks uping from a caped base or flying into a formation of squadies and think they are going to get a one on one.

The above post is rather misleading.  While they may be outnumbered 3 to 1, in an engagement, it's always another story- because they fly together.

What the allied side has now is more or less a motley crew, a mob, you could even call it a gang of unorganized pilots of fine skill.  The problem is they're not coordinated, they haven't flown with each other, nore have they haven't established tactics for the AvA.   The pilots themselves are fine skill-wise, no better or worse then the axis pilots they face.   

The biggest thing is 2 big squadrons, very experienced, and very coordinated.  If any member or either is on, they're together, and they're tactics are the same, and everyone knows everyone else.

So the end result is a slaughter.  It's not fun.  For either side.  I for one have a hard time going in because I know what the end result will eventually be.

Not anybody's fault, mind you.  I wouldn't ask the axis to lighten up, and I wouldn't try to tell the allieds how to do their job either. 

So what we need are *squadrons*.  Not individual pilots.  We need the 56th, we need the 490th, we need the Debden Boys, we need guys who can come in with coordinated numbers and make a damn difference.  As it is now, the Allieds are stuck heavy handing a half assed offensive effort while trying to hold off the onslaught.

"You rebel scum"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 08:42:42 AM »
According to Storch, I'm not AvA worthy.

I popped in there on Weds. and had to leave after 3 lines of text on green.    Storch and VansCrew claiming "to be elite".    I was laughing so hard, I had to leave.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »

So I guess that leaves the big question unanswered: How is this different from a typical night in the MA?

(Unless you're considering the AEQ -- the "average ego quotient" -- which is apparently a bit higher)
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »
So I guess that leaves the big question unanswered: How is this different from a typical night in the MA?

(Unless you're considering the AEQ -- the "average ego quotient" -- which is apparently a bit higher)

A bit higher he says. :rofl :rofl
See Rule #4

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
Problem with the AvA is the 'big fish, small pond' attitudes, until that changes the numbers in there aren't going any higher than they are now.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »
Anybody who thinks gameplay in the AvA is better is delusional IMO.

Game play in AvA is different (although perhaps not so different now as it was in the past).  You might think it's better or worse, but it is different.  One of the pleasant features of a less-populated arena is that people get to know each other, and as that happens the attitudes and behavior of many of them improve.  Those of you who tried AvA when the war first started would perhaps be surprised by how much things have changed in the intervening two months.  More people try to employ ACM.  Fewer people rely on head-on attacks.  Sometimes they can actually be pleasant to each other.  If you're there all the time you notice.  If you come in now and again, possibly you don't.

I think it was nice of Jaeger to try to clue people in that there is a lot of fun to be had in an arena that many might not know much about.  That the anti-AvA crowd would immediately jump on him was not unexpected.  Hey, AvA isn't for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay in the huge arenas, watching the hordes avoid each other, flying LA7s against Spit16s, evaluating the effectiveness of divebombing Lanc formations and reading the "cheater!" messages as they roll by on the text buffer.  Join a NOE mission, see if you can capture an undefended base.  Nothing wrong with that at all, and it would be wrong of me to try to talk people out of going there.

What I really don't understand is this:  where were all of you guys who miss the "old" AvA back before the "new" AvA?  I was there nearly every night, and I didn't see a lot of the faces who bemoan its absence now.

- oldman

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »
If you are "there all the time" ... how would you know what gameplay is like in the MA to compare it to the Garden of AvA?

I've ventured in occasionally.. the only difference between the MA and the AvA is that *some* AvA players like to give the impression that they don't do 'dweeby' things like joust, vulch, milkrun, or gangbang.  Some others are honest.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »
I challenge everyone to give the AvA a try.  If you let these trolls make decisions for you...you'll never know what you are missing.

Give it a try, if you don't like it <S> and have a great day.

If you tried the war last time, give it another try.  The community has really has really matured just in the past month.  There are great fights to be had now.

Honestly...what have you got to lose from trying?

<S> to all of those with the presence of mind to know for yourself, rather than relying on the opinions of others.
P-47 pilot

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »
Problem with the AvA is the 'big fish, small pond' attitudes, until that changes the numbers in there aren't going any higher than they are now.

40-60 people a night is very good we jsut need more skilled allied pilots.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
If you are "there all the time" ... how would you know what gameplay is like in the MA to compare it to the Garden of AvA?

I've ventured in occasionally..
I believe you answered your own question.  I know as much about the MAs as you and the other nay-sayers know about the AvA.

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
Urch was there t-night and doing a right fine job of it. I was looking forward to winging with him throughout the night. Vista and emachine are of the debil.