Author Topic: I'll probably get some flak from this  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Hey what's that sound?!  Oops, spies don't make sounds do they?

Filth, it's like kamilyun said.  It's not because of the game, it's because of players who go for the path of least resistance that'll get them "kills" and hit sprites and pat on the back messages in gold text on the text buffer.. They don't really know and/or care for combat.  
Either they don't understand how to actualy fight, and opt for something that'll do the fighting for them (easy planes, NOE swarm tactic vs empty bases, etc), or they flat out don't care and just do all those things because the game allows them to.

Another effect on missions is that no one joins a mission unless they've got a good guarantee it will be fun, e.g. that they won't get shot down.. It's common sense even though it's in effect incorrect: no one really wants to bother making an effort to play the other players' way of playing.. It's their 15$, their game, they'd rather play like they want to.  But that's just ignoring the potential of missions - well planned missions would do the same thing they do on their own (combat), but better: There's actual combat discipline to it rather than just random swarming.. Maybe the mission leader sets wingman pairs, etc.

So, 110G2 + N1K + C47 missions are often not due to players' lack of creativity, but just to sugarcoat the bait.
Spot on.

Oh and Rox, the only enemy 30 of you guys encountered in the .report Stang mission were 5 gv's, and they were too much for you to handle.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2008, 06:39:34 PM »
:rofl  stang,

I dont join missions unless they are t3h sqwad mishies or if im setting it up like last weeks b25 Fighter sweep:)
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Re: Re: I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2008, 11:48:54 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Last week, they bypassed 4 surrounding fields and bombed a city.    NOE missions are just fine IMO.    I also hold the record for most Stuka's in a Mission.    

What is even more funny is that the Niki isn't needed.   I only need 4 110's and a goon.

i've seen some small groups in 110's tear up towns and bases relativly fast, so i think i'd have to fully agree with ya on that.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Re: Re: I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

And here folks is the crux of the problem.  People confusing this game for a war.  What happens when you win the war?  Nothing.  If you are that hungry for 20 perks, you need to learn how to fly better b/c you suck.

If resetting maps again and again to win the war is really your thing...go to the EW and team up with SOARz.  You'll be happier than heck.

From Hitech himself:  And please do not tell me AH is war, because it is not, it is a War game. And games are ment to be fun and fair.

So yeah, those guys in the P40 raid had it right.  HAVE FUN and stop worrying about winning t3h war.

I see your point. But now see mine. There is fun to be had in AH (PERIOD). The guys that like to run missions to see how many bases can be captured in a minimal amount of time find that to be fun. The gross product of that, if successful, is winning the war. That is the point if you are caputring bases. If you keep in mind the subject of this thread. I'll keep in mind that you seem to be overly fixed and excited about your position on having fun your way. Which is okay. :aok

But, keep in mind that part of the immersion of this game is WAR as well. The history and spectical of time long ago that only a very few of us were old enough to remember. So, remember this is a war GAME first and foremost. Some of us like to play it that way. If all YOU like to do is dogfight, that's just fine, why don't you go try the DA. Resetting of the maps is rare in the MA. Furballing is much more common and is what people like as well. So resetting of maps shouldn't be a major concern for you. You'll have plenty of time before the next reset. BTW, base captures is one aspect of the game. I personally enjoy every aspect of this game, base captures just being one. So, I don't need you to tell me how to have fun if am already doing that.

A good fight happens anywhere you can find one. But not usually during base captures. It's a quick in and out kind of operation. Yes, with emphesis on winning the war, sometimes.  That is a focus of base captures, not of furballing. So you should probably pick another thread for your comments or start another. We're talking about base captures and missions here. What are you talking about?

Cheers :huh
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Re: I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2008, 01:26:58 PM »
You know, people talk about all the "gaming" the game. The NOE missions, the bomb-n-bail, and everything else. But they forget that AH does not accurately simulate life; For example, Fleet Carriers for the major powers' in WWII had on average 60-80 planes. And those were broken down into so many Dive bombers, Torpedo planes, and Fighters. However, in AH, I've seen CV's disgorge well over 100 planes' of all types' during a fight.As well as airfields.

My point here being, you can't expect to fight in the true WWII style, without actually having WWII restrictions'. Was there an all-encompassing GPS radar showing every plane in flight in every theatre of WWII? Hell no. We have it for gameplay purposes. We have airfields' that can launch hundreds' of fighters' and bombers from them, yet only put 75% fuel on them, irrespective of supply. In reality, Alotta aircraft would have been grounded, but in AH, that doesn't work for gameplay. So we have that. Well over 3/4 of the planes' we have in our planeset, were origanally designed to fly and fight at alts' over 10k, With many of the battles' up between 15k to 30k. In this game, It is the norm to see fights' at 5k and less.

Remember this is a game. The tactics' in use are the ones' that work, with the tools' at hand. The only thing that's really gonna change the tactics' used, is to change the game itself (The strat system, The way bases are captured, The whole win-the-war system.) Until you do that, It will be more of the same.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
I know its standard op in the game to make missions for capture. Part of the game. I like joining missions. However theres one I dont like. Its this mission.

110Gs
Nik
C47

NOE

It seems its all we see anymore. Talen ran a few high alt buff runs last week and they were great. All the time people were on country complaining about wasted resources. The same people who always post the type missions listed above.

NOE.  Not a fan. I just dont see the sense in sneaking around, in a game designed for air combat, and to try to avoid this combat to get quick base takes.

I propose DARBARS..if not dardots too, are shown on the map regardless the alt of the mission. Maybe it would make people go up in the air higher where enemys can be met..for combat. Give the enemy time to grab to defend. Things like that.

INCOMING!!!

I'll make this easy...
1. Don't join missions that have the aircraft you don't like...
2. Make a mission that is set up the way YOU think it should be... or
3. Get a load of cheeze to go with this WHINE!!!!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2008, 01:52:13 PM »
I know its standard op in the game to make missions for capture. Part of the game. I like joining missions. However theres one I dont like. Its this mission.

110Gs
Nik
C47

NOE

It seems its all we see anymore. Talen ran a few high alt buff runs last week and they were great. All the time people were on country complaining about wasted resources. The same people who always post the type missions listed above.

NOE.  Not a fan. I just dont see the sense in sneaking around, in a game designed for air combat, and to try to avoid this combat to get quick base takes.

I propose DARBARS..if not dardots too, are shown on the map regardless the alt of the mission. Maybe it would make people go up in the air higher where enemys can be met..for combat. Give the enemy time to grab to defend. Things like that.

INCOMING!!!

I wonder what would happen if HTC just simply disabled the mission editor...?  :noid

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2008, 03:48:21 AM »
We took a couple of bases today starting with a huge jug mission at 20k, we dove for E just inside the radar ring to 10K and proceeded to decimate the air base.
We then took a few goons in to take it and it's neighbouring V base.
Kudos to EGG for planning it, it was a nice change of pace.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Sommers

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2008, 03:20:42 AM »

The only historical reason for high alt missions of any kind was fuel related.  The planes had to get high to have the range to reach their targets.

Its ONE reason.  What about avoiding that nasty flak and giving the opposition less time to respond?  Bombers and fighters historically climbed to 15-25k regularly not becuase they didn't have the fuel, but to minimize the attrition of trained pilots.  The only acceptions were ground attack and caps. 

In the game people just don't have the patience for this -  maybe if their lives were at stake we wouldn't see divebombing lanc's :rock

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »
I don't mind that folks find the Niki/110/C47 missions as fun.  And they are virtually unstoppable when executed correctly and with enough participation. 

I find them boring as heck after by the 3rd one though.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
One of the funnyest missions I've flown was a NOE C-47 trip to a enemy field with the town down.

Turns out out mission was repelled way before I got to the base but I felt suicidal so I continued between the mountains NOE. I counted 12 enemy fighters on top of the field when I managed to climb up the hill and land next to the town. I released the goons and puff we got the town despite having 0 friendly fighters around.  :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone