Author Topic: Way to locate enemy carrier groups?  (Read 939 times)

Offline Fleksta

• Zinc Member
Way to locate enemy carrier groups?
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've recently had an itch to try out my Torpedo skills but have had no luck in locating an enemy CV. Is there a trick to detecting where a CV group might be?

Thanks!

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Way to locate enemy carrier groups?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »
Find out where the enemy keeps sending their carrier to. If it went there once most likely they are sending it there yet again. Also, look for enemy ports close to forward bases, they will send it to that base. The last good way to find the cv is wait for someone to type on country text "enemy cv (grid number)"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
Watch country channel for enemy carrier sightings. Keep a watch on fields that are close to an enemy port.
Chances are sooner rather than later they'll use that to attack.

Old fashioned scouting runs are another way, pick a fast plane with fairly good legs.
Cruise at 8 - 10 in potential areas. When the puffy flack starts shooting at you, you've found it.

Watch the map for dar bars that pop up in open ocean. Almost a dead giveaway there is a carrier group in that sector.

Offline Fleksta

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
Cool, thanks for the response  :aok

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »

My favorite scout plane was KI-67 bombers. They are very fast, climb great, and have extremely long range on a full tank. Ive been up in them for over an hour a time, far behind enemy lines hitting ords...ect Ive ran into all kinds of things, CVs, missions...ect. At 15k , and about 330 mph, you cover a lot of ground. If we ever get the A-26, or even the TU-2, they will be the perfect CV scout bombers with the speed of a KI-67 and the hitting power of B-26s.

I would guess A-20s would do well too.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:35:07 AM »
I've never tried this before, but from what I've heard Ar-234's are good scout planes.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »
You can pop into the tower of any base (usually a coastal base) and check the enemy planes from there. If they are navy planes, you've found their CV.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »
Take a Ta152 to 30k. That thing is fast at alt.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »
look for a large dar bar at a field near the coast. Be careful though, you maybe spoiling somebodies fun. :uhoh

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »
I've never tried this before, but from what I've heard Ar-234's are good scout planes.

Scouts, yes.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »

They are. They dont climb all that well and you have to keep them at speed cause they dont accelerate well, which uses up fuel. But Ive used them as scouts and CV busters. This was before I got tired of hearing all the whining and sniveling over bombing CVs by the cartoon airplane hero crowd.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
                         They are. They dont climb all that well and you have to keep them at speed cause they dont accelerate well, which uses up fuel. But Ive used them as scouts and CV busters. This was before I got tired of hearing all the whining and sniveling over bombing CVs by the cartoon airplane hero crowd.

Got that right! They are awesome with speed, heck, I even dogfight after I drop my bombs with them. Just keep your RATOs for when you REALLY need them. Best thing to do, is go NOE until you have the target in sight (CV) and then pop in a shallow climb, try to get to 3-4K before dropping, go into a shallow dive and .salvo 2 .
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »

Fleck ifya want I could show you a few things in 234s in the TA some time. Just learning how to take off and land them will save you a lot of grief. They are tricky, especially if you want to save RATOs which you should.

Or look up AAolds, Cap1, or some of the trainers who could probably show you more then I can. But I do recommend you get up to speed in them before taking them out in the MA. ALL of my bombing runs were also scout missions. Learn to use your F3 views in bombers while in your front gun position and fly the plane with your rudders. Looking up some of the highly expereinced bomber sticks will be worth the effort. The two I mentioned can help you a lot or hang out with some guys from the bomber squads.

There was many a night where I flew 1 hour+ missions in KI-67s hitting ords and scouting. Many a time I kept ords down along an entire front, protecting my CVs, and reporting enemy activity. Scouting is a fun aspect of the game.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
Didn't see this mentioned...

Keep an eye on country channel.  Many of us announce the location of CV's when we see them.  It would look something like...

"nme CV 12,11,2"

The first 2 numbers is the map sector, and the last number coorisponds to the location within the sector based on your number pad.
7|8|9
_____
4|5|6
_____
1|2|3

So that example indicates there is an enemy carrier in the south centeral area of sector 12,11.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 05:47:04 AM »
You can pop into the tower of any base (usually a coastal base) and check the enemy planes from there. If they are navy planes, you've found their CV.
not neccisarily, if there is a 51/jug/la there may not be a CV, if it all Spits, Hogs, Zero's, F6/F4's then most probably.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato