Author Topic: F4U Corsair model  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U Corsair model
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »
Sol75,

Historical paint job would depend on the model of F4U and when it saw service.

F4U-1 Birdcage

From introduction to combat (Feb 1943) through about mid-1943 would be non-specular blue-gray on the top surfaces, sides, and the underside of the outer wing panels (tip, to about the line of the wing-fold) with non-specular light-gray underneath.

From Mid-1943, new aircraft would be in tricolor: Non-specular sea blue upper surfaces; intermediate blue vertical stabilizer, sides, and underside of the outer wing panels; insignia white underneath. Aircraft already in the combat zone often retained the blue-gray/light-gray paint job due to the necessities of the barely-existent supply chains (leading to often very patch-work paint schemes due to touching up with whatever is available. Check out the "Marines Dream" skin in the game for an example).

F4U-1A

F4U-1As generally carried the tricolor pattern just as in the later -1 Birdcages. From late-1944 until the end of the war, any 1As in service were generally painted overall semi-gloss sea blue. I've seen a handful of photos or schemes of 1As in this color.

F4U-1D/C and -4

F4U-1Ds/Cs and -4s all entered service in either 1944 (1D) or 1945 (1C and 4) so were all painted overall semi-gloss sea blue.

As far as markings, red was not commonly used in USN/MC aircraft. I know that Bob Galer's F4F at Guadalcanal had a red cowl lip and fuselage band, but can't think of any F4Us that carried red markings. There IS the precedent of Galer's Wildcat, so it's possible a handful might have used red to some degree. White trim was far more common in Marine aircraft, especially the cowl lip, parts of the vertical stabilizer and at times the fuselage end cap and horizontal stabs, but I'm not familiar of any WWII-era Corsairs that had the entire cowl painted white. At least one Marine squadron used a white-and-sea blue checkerboard pattern covering the cowl and vertical stab. The squadron the majority of the markings on your model came from (VF-84) had a yellow cowl lip.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »
thanks for the info Sax.. I love corsairs, but im not familiar with appropriate squadron markings ;)  Although I want to learn!  How about some info on Marine units in WW2 flying the F4U4?  or a link thereabouts? I have an R/C F4U4 I am in the process of refinishing (due to the semi gloss vs flat thing) and would like some documentation to refer to for my "trim" and "decals"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline TEXAS20

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
get it off the chair and onto the washer, im going to put mine on the washer as well once i get some time

Hey your right!  I thought it was a rule here that all models must be displayed on a major appliance.

Sweet job on the F4U!! :aok  I have a pony and jug that still live in the little cardboard fighter hanger they came in. LOL 
The rules are simple:  Don't be a dick.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
This one is a must-do:

F4U-4 flown by Kenneth A. Walsh: the first Corsair ace, and from my understanding the top Corsair ace of WWII (there were a few other Marines with higher victory totals, but Walsh claimed more in the Corsair than they did. Not sure if there were any Navy Corsair pilots with higher totals in the F4U).

Only pic I can find right now showing the port side. Note the killboard overlaps the MoDex number. Was the default -4 skin before the F4Us were remodelled. I'm sure I can find a better pic given time.

F4U-4 painted up to resemble Walsh's -4 in 1993.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
Nice looking plane... what model manufacturer is that box from? id like to build that one, in addition to painting my R/C model like that...
80th FS "Headhunters"

In-Game as Castiel
Pastafarian for life

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
next one im doing is a 109F.  Sol

Where did you find a 109F??

Havent built a model in a long long time. Have  a barely started but not completed P40-E.

but I've been hankering for a 109F
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
Kit's by Trumpeter. I'm thinking of getting a 1/32 1D and back-dating to a 1A since Tamiya doesn't do a 1/32 1A (bastages). I have a just-started 1/48, but the engine detail kit in that scale is REALLY tiny and a pain to put together. :D

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 04:24:02 PM »
Dred.. I actually got it at of ALL places... wally world (walmart) they had a 109, F4U, and a Stuka.  Probably not a popular kit brand (21st century) but... with a bit of modificaiton they turn out QUITE nicely (as you see with the corsair).  Good detail in them, but some cheesy assembly methods (some screws with plastic fillers for the screw holes) I ditched the screws and jsut used cement for everything, then filled all the screw holes with putty and painted her up.  Turns out nice!

80th FS "Headhunters"

In-Game as Castiel
Pastafarian for life

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »

Very nice. I like the work behind the wing guns. Nice powder smears.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
_____________________________ ______

Those rockets don't look at all accurate.

Here is what real 5 inch rockets from WWII looked like on a F4U:

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Dred.. I actually got it at of ALL places... wally world (walmart) they had a 109, F4U, and a Stuka.  Probably not a popular kit brand (21st century) but... with a bit of modificaiton they turn out QUITE nicely (as you see with the corsair).  Good detail in them, but some cheesy assembly methods (some screws with plastic fillers for the screw holes) I ditched the screws and jsut used cement for everything, then filled all the screw holes with putty and painted her up.  Turns out nice!

So that is basically a diecast plane that you repainted?

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »

It always pisses me off when people paint a WW2 -4 Corsair in over all blue like that.  When they arrived from Vought, they were painted over all glossy sea blue, with aluminized coating on the gear.  Zinc chromate yellow in the gear wells, inside the skin lap of the nose cowl, inside the induction trunk, inside all the gear doors, and green zinc chromate (aka as cockpit green) inside the cockpit. 

The first overall blue Corsairs were not painted like that (unless done on gear in the field) was done at depot maintenance when they painted EVERYTHING blue with the exception of the cockpit.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 08:37:57 PM »
My advice for someone who wants to make models would be to find ones in 1/48th scale. That is the scale with the most detail for it's size and plus they don't take up so much room and are easier to make look really good.

The bigger scales tend to expose the lack of detail.

1/48th scale is the most popular scale in aircraft modeling contests.

1/72nd scale models are a great way to learn. They are less expensive and less complicated.

I still have a 1/48th scale Hasegawa F-14 that I intended to build for Sandman. That kit is a real difficult one and I have not had the time yet, but I still want to get it done for him.

And an airbrush is a must if you want to really make it look good. I prefer Iwata brand airbrushes and I use acrylic paint thinned down pretty thin.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »
21st Century 1/32 F4U

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
(quote) Anyone know why they had arrows pointing up on the tail, and one wing pointing forward?  (unquote)

You're serious, right?  Same thing as packages marked This Side Up.  :salute   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:51:07 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous