Author Topic: Lancaster performance  (Read 345 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Lancaster performance
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:39:05 AM »
Iam at 28k doing 299mph for about 10 minutes then speed drops to 200? and stays there. :confused:
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Lancaster performance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:33:49 AM »
You forgot to refill the flux capacitor.

(Yeah, sorry.)
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:21:54 AM »
I am unsure, don't take my word for it, but I think that because of the higher altitude, there is less air for those four massive engines to take in, therefore decreasing performance and speed.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »
I am unsure, don't take my word for it, but I think that because of the higher altitude, there is less air for those four massive engines to take in, therefore decreasing performance and speed.

But the speed rises to 299 even about 310 then falls all at the same altitude. I dont know what to make of it. 
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
And the higher speed around 300 is closer to the speed chart at a weight of 68000. I am usually getting 300+ on the way home with about 25% fuel left and no bombs i.e. under 50,000 pounds. So I am at 25k plus doing 300 plus and then inexplicably speed drops and also sometime 20 minutes or so suddenly comes of fuel.

My conclusion is the modelling is breaking down for some reasin and the plane is under performing.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »
You drop from 300 to 200 while in level flight and you are doing something wrong. Either you ran out of gas and the engines died, or you throttled back RPM or throttle (or both) or your inputs spiked on either/both of those same inputs, reducing your speed.

Also, firing all your guns forward will slow you down. They act as mini thruster jets (try this, in a climb shoot all your guns dead aft and you'll boost your climb rate significantly)