Author Topic: what kind of move is this?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
what kind of move is this?
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
I was working in the DA the other day with a fellow,and he attempted to show me this move to use while flying Spits.I don't think I ever got it down real well as I tried it in MA,and promptly got my butt handed to me. Here is the move as best I can describe it.On the merge,just as bandit is going by you,you barrel roll your plane 180 degress,and then push your stick straight forward till you get to the top,using flaps to help you get there.I think the move is a Immelman,but using positive G's.Now number one I didn't do the move well,as my friend said my loop was too tight,and it sure didn't work for me in MA.I like trying different merge moves,and if anyone can give me advice for moves with Spit,I would appreciate it.Yes I know about Spits being dweeby,but I have paid my dues,and I'm old and my skills have left me sadly lacking.Thanks for any help in advance.Oh,I mainly fly the Spit V.
IronDog

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: what kind of move is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »
I can't even visualize this.  If you barrel role 180 dgrees you are inverted.  Pushing forward on the stick would then be a negative G move pushing the nose up and when you got to the top you'de be right-side up again.  Is that how it worked?

If so, negative G moves typically bleed E a lot faster than a comperable positive G move.  You'de be better off doing an Immelmann than making yourself a sitting duck at the top of that move.  At least with the Immel you'de still have your E at the top and you'de increase your roll-out options along the way.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »
i agree BE, it sounds a bit ambiguous the way it is described.

think what irondog means is against a high speed attack or unequal merge. the roll 180 being up and over the enemy inline with its flight path and the negative G being to hold the nose up (down) for a shot.  It is all about repetition and practice, the goal being to place yourself just behind (with a gun solution) where they will be in 4 seconds from start of the move.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:39:27 PM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the help.Yes I agree.I was wrong about positive g's.I thought a regular Immelman would be better.Takes too long to do the maneuver,and the bandit would eat you up.Thanks again.
IronDog

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
there a maneuver just as you describe but you 180 degree barrel roll at the top. what i find is if you pull that manuever and start kicking flaps at 200knots it will slow you down enough that if you're being followed, he'll fly by when you get to the top and if not, you make it to the top of the turn faster with enough lift to out turn the guy.

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »
I was working in the DA the other day with a fellow,and he attempted to show me this move to use while flying Spits.I don't think I ever got it down real well as I tried it in MA,and promptly got my butt handed to me. Here is the move as best I can describe it.On the merge,just as bandit is going by you,you barrel roll your plane 180 degress,and then push your stick straight forward till you get to the top,using flaps to help you get there.I think the move is a Immelman,but using positive G's.Now number one I didn't do the move well,as my friend said my loop was too tight,and it sure didn't work for me in MA.I like trying different merge moves,and if anyone can give me advice for moves with Spit,I would appreciate it.Yes I know about Spits being dweeby,but I have paid my dues,and I'm old and my skills have left me sadly lacking.Thanks for any help in advance.Oh,I mainly fly the Spit V.
IronDog

I can't even picture this.  If it's long and seems impractical, it probably is, therefore, don't use it.
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »
I actually have heard of that. Just wanted to say that it bleeds alot if not all ur E. Not a good move in my opinion.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline A8Thumpr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
I fly the spit V quite a bit in the DA...only way I'd use that move is if I wanted to get back to the tower...quickly :D