Author Topic: Corsair  (Read 815 times)

Offline Void56

• Zinc Member
Corsair
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »
hi is just wanted to know how to turn with the corsiar, because i cant find a combination thatll work. :cry
The Corsair's distinctive sound, which earned it among the Japanese the nick-name of "Whistling Death", partly because of the engine sound, that was caused by the wing-root inlets for engine air.
-in other words American planes kick butt!!!-

Offline Vipper65

• Copper Member
Re: Corsair
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »
Its best to keep her speed up, but if you do get slow and need to whip her around start droping flaps at around 250.  Thats the quick answer, I'm sure Saxman will be around shortly to give you the detailed version.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:21:36 AM by Vipper65 »
Viper
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

VF-17 Jolly Rogers, 52ND Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »
Start off at higher speed, around 300-350mph, especially in a large fight. Additionally, there's few planes the F4U won't out-turn with ease at that airspeed. As you get a handle for her you'll get to feel how much stick force you can give when flopping around at lower speeds. Flaps come into play at 250mph IAS and make a big difference.

You may also want to make sure your stick isn't over-sensitive. I fly with damping and scaling off, but some are MUCH more sensitive and require adjustment.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Like most of the other heavier planes, turning while fast is turning quickly. However, the huge benefit of the corsair is that turning slow you can turn like a spit. It's all about the flaps. Spend some time offline with your IAS below 200. Pop those flaps out, and practice flat turning. See how tightly you can get around a circle, and remember to keep stall limiter turned off. Once you get a feel for how far you can push it, take to the MA. Enjoy.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »
I'd look for either widewing or Mtnman in the TA, both great hog drivers...

My thoughts are as follows...

1) While the hog is a very good turner (with flaps) its not a plane that really excels as a "T&B" ride or "flat" turner

So to get the most out of it you want to fly it somewhat in the verticals using E tactics but realizing that you can chop throttle and drop a notch of flaps to saddle up for a shot when opportunity is there...

2) It's primarily a downhill sledder, its not going to accelerate and climb with alot of planes in the set (great zoom though).

This means you want to give up alt grudgingly, use your zoom and work the hi yoyo's as best you can but realize that the hog is a great counterpuncher and you can get very slow up high almost stall fighting like you're on the deck then dive and zoom to "reload". your better to try and keep the fight up high and dive out vs dive out and forced slow on the deck...

3) The hog is never really "uber" at full speed, the great hog drivers work throttle, rudder and flaps hard disquising E state and intentions and then suddenly "going angles" for one kill then dipping the nose and zooming for a rope on the next one. The plane rewards good SA and E management but allows very aggresive pure "T&B" as well...stay fast and high as long as you can at 1st, but realize that if your forced into a fight you can beat most spit, nikki, La-7 and Ki-84 drivers by getting a bit slower fast. The rudder works like a big brake and really helps get your turns started. You can chop throttle, hit the rudder hard and reverse into a 300+ spitty (or other) and get that 1st notch of flasp out at 250 and have him to close to run to fast to out turn you very quickly. Learn to fly the "X" so your not really flat and the Hog will give just about anything a great E/angles fight as long as you  work on leanring flaps, rudder, throttle...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

Flying the Hogs can be addictive. I just started taking them up on occasion and I love the way they handle. The only real problem I have with them is that they are starting to take me away from the Hellcat. :cry Another CV based airplane thats a gas to attack with. I think the Corsair is one of the best looking aircraft in the game.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »
Like Humble / Snaphook mentioned, I would try to keep your speed up and keep some alt to give you some options.  If you're trying to turn tight while low and slow you're setting yourself up for some disapointment.  The corsair is definately capable of some nice slow turns on the deck, it just really isn't capable of sustaining that type of maneuvering for long.  Even if you manage to kill the guy you're fighting, you'll be a fat wallowing target for the next bad guy to come along.

The vast majority of my fighting is done in the 225-325 range, with fairly brief dips into the lower speeds.  The F4U really shines when it comes to slowing down rapidly to a speed that allows you to turn inside an airplane that is going too fast to turn at its best, but that is desperately trying to slow down and out-turn you.  This is best done at an altitude that allows you to dive out if things go poorly.  I feel comfortable dropping down to stall speeds if i have a few thousand feet under me.

The downside to this type of turning is that if you intentionally slow down to turn tightly, and your opponent realizes what you're up to, he can keep his speed and zoom up to a position over your head.  This will allow him to make things awful difficult for you.

Even so-

My most common kill on spits, N1K's, etc, is to convince them to go as fast as they can, and then rapidly slow down and turn inside them for the kill while they struggle to turn with you.  In essence you're using their speed AGAINST them.  They die before they get slow enough to really turn well.  I find the easiest way to do this is to let them get behind me (sometimes this is accidental), and act like I'm running away.  This gets them to go as fast as they can to catch me, because they know that if they don't catch me quick I WILL get away since I'm in a faster plane.  This also lets me get them away from the furball, so they can be kilt in privacy.  I then nose down a bit, again to get their speed up, and I then fly a "Barrel Roll Defense" type maneuver to get behind them.  (See the trainers web page for a description of that maneuver).  This puts me behind them, and as they realize this they often panic and try to turn back behind you.  This has the effect of making them slow down in front of you and allow you to shoot them through the top of the cockpit.  If you fail to make the kill quickly, and the spit driver begins to use verticals while you are too slow to follow, you're in trouble.  If you get in a sustained "Lufberry" type circle with the spit, you'll be in trouble.  In both cases the spit will eventually hand you your hat.  This is why you have that extra height under you- so you can dive out.  Again, you don't need to actually run away, since this is now the same situation described at the beginning of the paragraph.  You just need to convince him to go as fast as he can, which he'll do, because he thinks you're running away...

An experienced spit (or other) pilot won't fall for this.  Like every other ACM, there is at least one counter move that will cause you problems.  However, this simple formula (or deviations of it) does work very well in the F4U.

Look up a trainer in the TA-  it's a lot easier to learn from them first-hand than it is to do it through reading.  The reading helps for sure, but it's only PART of the equation...

If you see me in the MA, don't hesitate to ask me to meet you in the TA!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
                     ... I think the Corsair is one of the best looking aircraft in the game.

What?!?!?  One of the best?!!??!

From what I've seen there aren't ANY that come close to her!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
Chicks dig gull wings.  :aok
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vipper65

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 05:26:07 PM »
Chicks dig gull wings.  :aok

As long as you don't say "Hey ya'll watch this"  we'll be ok.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:45:09 PM by Vipper65 »
Viper
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

VF-17 Jolly Rogers, 52ND Fighter Group

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »

I love turning against a hog on the deck in my 38 and watching in humorous amazement as the hog driver loses control under the gigantic torque and hits the deck giving me the kill.

always funny... :)
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »
I love turning against a hog on the deck in my 38 and watching in humorous amazement as the hog driver loses control under the gigantic torque and hits the deck giving me the kill.

always funny... :)

That is odd as I have had the exact opposite experience.  In my experience the P-38 doesn't have a chance in hell against any F4U once the fight gets slow.  Or fast.  Or any speed in between really.  The F4U is much more stable at low speed, can turn a much tighter circle, can slow down quicker... it really holds all the cards in a fight.  The only thing the P-38 may do better is accelerate back up to speed, but I doubt there is a difference big enough to matter.

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 12:05:31 AM »
That is odd as I have had the exact opposite experience.  In my experience the P-38 doesn't have a chance in hell against any F4U once the fight gets slow.  Or fast.  Or any speed in between really.  The F4U is much more stable at low speed, can turn a much tighter circle, can slow down quicker... it really holds all the cards in a fight.  The only thing the P-38 may do better is accelerate back up to speed, but I doubt there is a difference big enough to matter.

Oh no if the pilot is experienced Urchin there's not a chance in hell. The Corsair turns circles around it.

I meant usually after the fight has spiraled down to the deck. And just before the speed has been completely bled there seems to be a period where you can hold off the inevitable. (F-4u turning around on your 6). And i have seen some Corsair pilots bobbling and wobbling under the yaw, trying not to spin. That usually allows me to hold them off just a little bit more. If i'm lucky they slip off into a spin at 5 feet above the ground. While i'm not having nearly as much trouble with Torque.

The P-38 can also go into the vertical alot better that a Corsair that has lost it's speed. The F-4u with no E can't get it's nose up as well as a 38 in that situation. The 38 can perform a high yo-yo or immel turn sometimes. Like i said if it gets that far.

This is a very small window that seems to happen just before the flaps really start taking effect before it gets really slow. Say like 150 to 120 mph and below.

But if that person is any kind of a Hog driver it's not likely to happen. I'd like to experiment with someone in the TA or DA if you'd like. Check it out it does happen.
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline Void56

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:47:55 AM »
ok and another thing......how do i check if someone is behind me when the seat of the hog is in the way??? do i just turn a bit to look, or what? i can make people overshoot me really well but not when i cant see them or how far they are....
The Corsair's distinctive sound, which earned it among the Japanese the nick-name of "Whistling Death", partly because of the engine sound, that was caused by the wing-root inlets for engine air.
-in other words American planes kick butt!!!-

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:16:10 AM »
ok and another thing......how do i check if someone is behind me when the seat of the hog is in the way??? do i just turn a bit to look, or what? i can make people overshoot me really well but not when i cant see them or how far they are....
YOu need to check out the Aces High Trainers website and download some of the headview files, or make your own.

you can move your view and save it with the aorrow keys and pageup/page down keys......example" hold down the number 2 key, while holding it down use the arrow keys to move side to side , front to back and the pageup/page down to raise your head up or down, when you get to the best possible view you can acheive, then press the F10 key to save this "headposition"........you can do this for every view angle, and for every different plane type.

or as mentioend before, go download a set of headposition files and load them into your settings folder
ie....C:\HTC\AcesHighII\settings\

Shane, Murdr are just a couple of flyers that have good views saved and hosted to download

as for LeadPig & Urchin's discussion: when turning right and at slower speeds, is better to back off a tad on the throttle to negate the Torque effect, this will allow you to turn right much better and faster, because you are not fighting the FULL torque of the engine/prop......( a tad does not mean cut throttle to 1/2way or more, it just means reduce throttle a few incrememnts at most !!! )
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:19:11 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC