Author Topic: YIPPEE p-38 request  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
YIPPEE p-38 request
« on: March 16, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »

one of the most famous p-38's it was the 5000th to come off the line, i just really want to fly something big and red that screams out SHOOT ME to all the cons in the area

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: YIPPEE p-38 request
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »
Which it's unlikely HTC will allow it, as she never saw combat.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:08:53 AM »
As a dedicated 38 driver, I can tell you that you don't need a bright red P-38 to have it scream shoot me :)

Never saw combat, and there are plenty of colorful combat 38s to choose from.

I prefer green trim myself :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:05:20 AM »
awww.... would have been fun though

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
Well, if I can work out how to keep all the bolts etc, I might be able to do that in PSP.

That would probably require a bit of time tho, but I'll try and try nevertheless

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
HTC only accepts historical WW2 skins, that saw service/action during the war. This skin is a post-war racer. It will not be accepted. It's not a matter of who can make it. The effort would be wasted.

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »
This skin is a post-war racer.

Wrong.

"The 5,000th Lightning built, a P-38J, was painted fire-engine red, and had the name "YIPPEE" painted on the underside of the wings in big letters. This aircraft was used by Lockheed test pilots Milo Burcham and Tony LeVier in remarkable flight demonstrations, performing such stunts as slow rolls at treetop level with one prop feathered to show that the P-38 was not the unmanageable beast of legend. Their exploits did much to reassure pilots that the Lightning might be a handful, but it was no "widow maker". "
Mudf1y - Gone, but not forgotten.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
Regardless, it was not a combat craft, and most likely was unarmed.

HTC won't even accept photo recon P-38 skins because they carried no armament. No recon skin can be accepted on planes unless it was armed recon (like spits with cameras, but still retaining guns, for example). Nor can we skin the circus planes for B24s and B17s that had colorful profiles, were used for formation on takeoff, but were unarmed and turned back to land while the rest of the bombers went on to target.

P.S.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,191578.0.html

EDIT: I did some searching. I can't find anything, other than the wikipedia quote you copied verbatim, on the internet regarding this plane. The only quote is the copy and paste of wiki on several wikipedia-clone webpages.

I wouldn't even trust that quote without SOME additional info. I found a google book reference talking about a pilot painting his warbird after Yippee in the late 50s or early 60s (I don't recall, d'oh!) so it might have been a racer as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:56:41 AM by Krusty »

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »
Its called Books.  Try them. 
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »
It's called work. At it.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »
Its called don't reply, if you don't know the answer or have the resources handy to be sure.  Its not a race.

That plane was real and a WWII era aircraft celebrating a milestone in P-38 production.  Not a racer.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
Yes, I got that. I said it might have been one "later" (i.e. post war, different plane but same scheme).

I did have the knowledge to answer the main question. This was in the post you said I shouldn't have made.   :frown: The "racer" bit was an aside.

HTC doesn't allow F-5s, circus-painted form-up B-24s, unarmed recons, and non-combat schemes, and this paint scheme doesn't fall into the categories of skins that are accepted. (I'd also like to note this is nowhere near the first time this skin has been requested)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »
Yes, I got that. I said it might have been one "later" (i.e. post war, different plane but same scheme).

I did have the knowledge to answer the main question. This was in the post you said I shouldn't have made.   :frown: The "racer" bit was an aside.

HTC doesn't allow F-5s, circus-painted form-up B-24s, unarmed recons, and non-combat schemes, and this paint scheme doesn't fall into the categories of skins that are accepted. (I'd also like to note this is nowhere near the first time this skin has been requested)

Krusty,
What he is saying is ,"Please stop trying to be a know-it-all." 

I for one am getting really tired of you being wrong when you answer something and when someone points it out, you come back with your patented "I was only partly wrong."

When you are constantly wrong, you are wrong.  It overshadows everything else you say and makes further information you supply suspect.

This is my only problem with you.  You do some really beautiful skins, seriously, and you have a lot to add.  But, like Fencer says, it is not a race.  Sometimes it would be best if you just did not answer.

I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:54:38 PM »
Looking at my post above, where I added the EDIT P.S's.... would there have been any objection if I had not added those?

To me the body of the post itself answers the point of the original post, the request for this skin.

I see the EDIT: comment as an aside, secondary to the point.

I ask only for the sake of clarification.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
P-38J10-LO.  Color photos taken May 17, 1944.  5000th P38 built.  Photo sortie done that day with Milo Burcham piloting it.

Postwar, Daryl Greenmeyer had a F5G with a recce nose that he painted as YIPPEE in 1966.

The point the guys are making Krusty is that none of us knows all of it.  Many of us know some of it, or know where to look to be as accurate as possible.  Posting just to guess your best, can make a post where you've done the research, suspect.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters