Author Topic: Why puffy ack doesn't work.  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why puffy ack doesn't work.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »
I wish ack lethality was upped at all fields.

Maybe the vulchers and pic masters would have a thing or two more to think about before being such tards.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline zilla

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 11:56:06 PM »
I just press the cloaking device button on my panel.... it's still in R&D though. Once I ended up in IL2 in my AH 38. When I actually de-cloaked that time my magaritas were melted too. This I will not tolerate.

Before this cloaking test I tried another trick. As in hunting in Alaska.... they say no need to worry about bears, just take someone along that runs slower than you... using this line of thought... when I dive through ack I always take someone slower. Seems to work to an extent.

R&D will resume....
I think you need to increase the amount of alcohol in your margarita. You see, as you manuver around your box gets bigger in a random way. This causes the ack going through the hill to generate heat that is absorbed by your margarita during "S" turns. The other solution would be to drink faster. IMHO
Copper is proper

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:19 AM »
This isn't about the technical issues from shooting through hills. That can be highly annoying as well, but this is about ack not hitting slow steady bombers at 15k, but pinging me262s at 25k doing high speed manuvers to avoid ack.

I think they're 2 different issues, personally.

Personally Krusty... I just think HT likes to stir you up :p

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 04:15:20 AM »
I stopped flying in the AvA arena when it had the carrier setup between USN and IJA.  So many times I would explode before I even saw the enemy. :cry
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 05:27:59 AM »
During testing for the DGS scenario I flew a set of 3 B-17s over a strat target for 45 minutes while ROC and Roscoroo changed ack settings for both the strats and the adjacent airfield ack.  I took 3 hits in that 45 minutes no damage to vital systems, and watched the guys attacking the airfield to test ack die to CIWS type ack.  In that process guys in 51s would fly into the strat ack and die like lemmings, while I just continued to fly race track patterns.

Clearly fighters are scrooged compared to bombers no matter what the "settings".
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »
During testing for the DGS scenario I flew a set of 3 B-17s over a strat target for 45 minutes while ROC and Roscoroo changed ack settings for both the strats and the adjacent airfield ack.  I took 3 hits in that 45 minutes no damage to vital systems, and watched the guys attacking the airfield to test ack die to CIWS type ack.  In that process guys in 51s would fly into the strat ack and die like lemmings, while I just continued to fly race track patterns.

Clearly fighters are scrooged compared to bombers no matter what the "settings".

exactly, since AHII ive been hit maybe 3 times by puffy ack, and i fly bombers alot!

however any fighters seem to be flak magnets, and it gets worse the more you turn. I just fly straight and level now and more often that not its safer.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
I've tested that theory too. I have tried simply flying level in a fighter when bracketed by ack. It STILL pinged me pretty heavily, then BOOM I'm dead.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
edited for uncalled-for cynicism and despair.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:52:21 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
Gun shoot threw hills simply because of the range the Ack shoots. To do the collision checks along a 6 mile line is very expensive.

In what way is it expensive? Just wondering.  :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 03:02:40 AM »
Also, if you are in a GV on the side of a hill above an enemy base, puffy ack will shoot at you.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 03:10:02 AM »
Puffy Ack
some places have it and they shoot you if you get too close.
seems to work fine for me
other parts of teh game. yeah ok lets work on those
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 07:46:10 AM »
I almost invariably survive running across a CV group at 8K in B26's. I sink them nearly every time. My flights almost always survive the 5" guns as I go through unless there is a real gunner on board that can actually hit me. I found a long time ago that 8K is just out of auto-ack range, and that's why I level-bomb at that alt.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:35 AM »
When i fly over any factory I almost never get hit by puffy and even when I do it's just a ping with no damage showing. Almost totally inifective,not that I want to be blown to hell every time I fly over a factory but as it is now it may as well be turned off to save my frame rates for the Oh so rare fight with those few that actually come after me when bombing strat.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:02:50 AM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:53 PM »
I really enjoyed climbing for 10 minutes, to get almost as high as the enemy.  enjoyed alll four higher jokers trying to shoot me in the face.  Enjoyed dragging them toward my CV, so my own puffy ack could set my plane on fire.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »
First flak hit in the new version: 1 flak burst, 1 ping, pw.
2nd.. Nothing.
3d, lead Ar234 is set on fire at the 10th flak burst.  This while doing a little over 450mph and maneuvering at ~5kft, and maybe 6-8K from the TG.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you