Author Topic: III./JG 26 109 K4  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
III./JG 26 109 K4
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
Here's my latest... It still needs plenty of camo work... but you get the idea here. This was my first export so I need to reposition a few things to get them to line up correctly.

The wing and fuselage crosses also need to be re-shaped and re-positioned in accordance with the photo, as with the relevant fuselage fuel markers etc.

I will also be 'un'-dirtying the aircraft a little as my references state that the aircraft was not in service for very long and thus would not have been particularly dirty or scratched.

This is the photo I'm working from

Reference: Merrick, K. (2007) Luftwaffe Camoflague and Markings 1933 - 1945

This source lists it as as an unknown staffel but I have found another internet source which quotes Caldwell, Donald: “JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe;” New York: Orion Books; 1991 as saying that the aircraft was flown by Uffz. Georg Genth of III./JG 26 for a short period. The aircraft crash-landed behind Allied lines and was abandoned.

Any comments on the tones of my colours would be appreciated, I've spent a lot of time messing around with them to get them to reflect what is shown in the photo. Any observations would be appreciated. I have used a combination of the IPstockholm and Simmerspaintshop colours as basis for the colours I am using here.

Cheers,

-Arch
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:15:29 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: III./JG 26 109 K4
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »
Looking good. I'm no authority on the colors, sorry.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »
It looks good Xasthur!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:50:02 AM »
Upon much photo gazing and pondering I have made a few alterations and additions aside from the obvious requirement of completed camouflage and whatnot.

In no photo of any late or early war 109 could I find prominent rivets. Aside from specific areas that bore heavy loads I could see very little in the way of rivets on any 109, so I have toned my rivets right back.

In some images the 109s show very prominent panel lines, particularly on the fuselage aft of the cockpit, so I've adjusted those accordingly.

I've also taken the majority of the dirt out of my template on this one. The aircraft only saw combat for a short time before it was abandoned and as a result of this it does not require copious amounts of exhaust stain, dirt and scratches.

I've also spent hours trying to get the right mix of these colours, so any comments on this in particular would be appreciated. I do think that I've made a fairly accurate representation of the colour photo I'm working from.

This is not finished, some details need more attention (certain rivets need to darkened in specific areas, some dirt doesn't quite line up on the lower fuselage, the panel lines on the right need to lightened in certain areas) but these are all fairly small details that most people wouldn't notice anyway, so I'll just put up a few more screenies when it is 100% completed.

As always, questions and comments are most welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Arch

Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:54:18 AM »
Just noticed:

Exhaust covers are grey, not green.

Horizontal stabliser rivets have not been toned down to match the others.

Colour overlaps at the leading edges of the wings isn't correct on the bottom, the colours are still green/grey.

I'll be sure to fix these things.
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »
Still nothing?
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
Damn that's a sexy skin on that bird.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »
Panel lines are down a wee bit too much. Barely noticable on the fusealge. By the way, you may want to add an extra panel layer on the... erm... upper cowling? Not sure what to refer to it as. The two doors on the upper cowling.. umm... 'butterfly?' upwords, and must be opened to rearm the aircraft every time it is used, so wear should be a bit heavier in that region. But, I say an extra layer of panel because, in almost every photograph of a 109 you'll find, you can see that the gap between those two.. erm... 'doors' is very noticable, especially compared with the panel lines on the rest of the aircraft.

Edit: Do you have Ospreys' 109F/G/K Aces of the Western Front? Theres a picture of your bird on page 81 that shows what Im talking about pretty well. Especially on the rear side of the... um... 'door', on the forward side its a bit flashed out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:06:34 AM by Motherland »

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 05:40:29 AM »
Cheers mate, I see what you mean there.

I'll increase the cowling door panel lines and the hindge across the top.

I do have that Osprey title, There is a better photo (unaltered) in another 109 book I have. It's the same photo just without the boosted black and white.

Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 05:49:04 AM »
Nice skin, but please, what program are you using to convert bmps from screens into jpgs?Conversion is very very low quality and distorts the pic, if you can find in settings somewhere in your program increase the conversion quality.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 07:26:12 AM »
I export the skins in 1024 x 1024 from Photoshop 7 using the Bright plug-in. I upload the photos to Photobucket and hotlink them here.

I just checked it out, it's definitely the web image host, I just sat the JPGs side by side and the web images are very granular and a little off colour in comparison to the original exports.

Any suggestions?
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »
I'm currently taking a closer look at the rivets for my 109s. In all of the black and white photos I have I cannot find any stand-out rivets. Particularly in the centre of panels.

This website may help to shed some more light on my position.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/luftcambg_2.htm

I am considering removing these mid-panel rivets from both of my K4 skins.

I am not entirely decided on the wing rivets yet but I inclined to believe that there were no mid-panel rivets there either, so I will be removing all rivets that are not closely tied with a panel line or something else structural.

I will post close-up images of this later this evening when I have made some more progress in the removal and repositioning of my existing rivets.

:salute

-Edit

After further searching I found some more images of a restored  109 G10:

http://www.thomasgenth.de/survivors/Me109_G10_The_Air_Museum/me109_g10_the_air_museum.html

There are some fantastic images there and they do show the existence of centre-panel rivets, albeit very subtle ones.

Hmmm

Something interesting... note the total lack of rivets on the upper surface of the horizontal stabilisers.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:45:08 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
it shouldnt be so shiny
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:18:58 PM »
The shine is from the arena lighting, not from my skin.

Also, the aircraft did see much action so the paint would not have faded into a dirty, matte mess like some other aircraft.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:21:11 PM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »
oh that's hot.
Messiah(The O.G.)