Author Topic: not connecting to host  (Read 347 times)

Offline 68baltar

• Copper Member
not connecting to host
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »
got my computer back from the doctor
it is a duel core vista.  Problem used to work just fine and
know after they replaced my hard drive.  I downloaded the aces high II again and loads great
problem comes when i try to sign on it asks for my name and password and then just sits there saying can not connect to host
any help would be great
kendal
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:08:29 PM by Skuzzy »
68th Lightning Lancers.
C.O. Bombing Wing.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: not connecting to host
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »
Sounds like the game is being blocked by a firewall.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »
If it is, it's not mine. I've been knocking on the door for 36 hrs with my firewall turned completely off half the time (and yeah, that makes me nervous but ... I need my AHII crack, man). :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:13:41 AM »
There are two potental issues with Vista.

1)  Vista itself is blocking the game's abaility to auto-update.  In order for the auto-updater to run, you must start the game by right-clicking on the Aces High II startup ICON and select "Run as administrator".  This is a feature of Vista's UAC function and happens when you did not install Vista yourself.

2)  If you are running a dual-core AMD CPU, after the update you must again set the game to run in "Windows 98/ME" compatibility mode.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:19:33 AM »
No dual core. I've tried right clicking the icon and doing the administrator thing.  :uhoh :pray

And my you're up early, Skuz!  :rock :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 06:29:33 AM »
Give me precise details as to where the failure to connect is occurring.  Please be very specific as I cannot see your computer screen.

Also, what version and patch level is shown in the upper left corener of the startup screen.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 06:47:11 AM »

I try to log on.

I get this. I try again.

I get this.

I know it's not much to go on but that's why it's baffling me. It's as if my account is disabled. *ShruG*

At first I presumed it was the update (I haven't played since a few days before and the I couldn't log on once I did it). Works fine offline. Then I presumed it was Vista security management. Dropped settings to "let malicious people online rape and rob me" (so to speak) and even turned firewall completely off. I've already tweaked off application that's been recommended to safely turn off. And I've even tried the admin right click.

Hmmmmm ....

BUT ... I am glad to see you here early this morning helping me live and in person, Skuz. :)  :salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 06:52:03 AM »
Well, the acid test says it is a firewall issue.

Here is the test.

If you can connect to our WEB site with your browser, but cannot get connected to login, then it is a firewall issue as the login authentication server is running on the WEB page server.  The only difference is the port it uses.

Everytime we update the game, software firewalls will need to re-allow the game back through.  However, if you are running Norton on Vista, and it triggers, there is a good chance you will never be able to play the game again until you remove Norton from the computer.  It might work again once it is re-installed, but there is no way to disable Norton under Vista.  The option is broken under Vista.

There is a whole series of events that has to take place to lead up to that.  Once it happens, the only way to fix it is to remove Norton from the computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:59:26 AM »
[Ralph Cramden voice] Norton! [/Ralph Cramden voice]

Norton: Yeah, Ralphie boy?

*Pow - to the moon!*

Argh.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »

It worked! You were right on the money there, Skuz! Ok ... now ... I really hate Vista. Guess I'll be reloading XP asap. Not having security makes me a little nervous. But  :salute Thank you!  :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
The sort of good news is SP1 for Vista is reported to stop Norton and McAfee from working at all, along with other things.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese