Author Topic: CV Ack - Yikes!  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
CV Ack - Yikes!
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »
The new gun emplacements on the destroyers (right?) have really made a difference.  I was flying at about 300ias 7k+ ft over an enemy fleet, in a banking turn, and then crack-crack! Pilot wound. @#$$@!#  Crack-ping!  Oil hit! @%@#%  and then my wing was blown off.  I'm not going to complain because low flying B-24's trying to kamikazi the fleets are never going to get close. :devil
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: CV Ack - Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »
cv ack is nutz,,,, you guys have really done it this time..... :rock
though I think a direct hit like I ricieved tonight at 4.5 might be a might much, I applaude the way it keeps bombers at hi alt, divebombing is a thingof the past...even in jabo's. :mad:
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:00:40 AM »
This is an excellent improvement. The fighter-targeting aspect of it is still a little over-the-top, in my opinion.

Last night I was banging around with OddCAF on a very long range sortie, I was in a 152 and he was in his 'Mossie of Death'. We were at 20k searching for a lone dar-bar con and I took a slap from the CV puffy ack from half a sector away and extending.

Thankfully it was just a slap and no damage was taken but it does seem odd that a fighter travelling at 400 mph on a highly variable course (I was not on auto-level, I was altering my heading and altitude significantly) would take hits like that and remain firmly 'boxed' by ack through these evasive maneuvers.

Perhaps the CV gunners were that good.... but I suspect that this is a little too 'super-ack' to be realistic.

Your thoughts, lads?
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:06:10 AM »
Boxed-in is the right term, that's how flak works in AH.  The ack explosions are generated around you, they have no ballistics between the guns and the target.  That means there's no way to dodge them.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:50:51 AM »
SNIP
I applaude the way it keeps bombers at hi alt, divebombing is a thingof the past...even in jabo's. :mad:

Don't you kid yourself.  Their still at it and getting through.

I am thankful for all the extra 5" guns.  A very welcomed addition I must say but if the guns aren't manned then there not manned.  Even if they all were it's only a matter of time before they whittle away the defences when rinse and repeat suiciding bombers abound.

Mentioning manning all the guns.....who actually is going to take the field, if that's your gig?

Over all the new fleet is groovy

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:55:53 AM »
I love the new fleets. They are much more protected and will due in for longer fun CV battles. Most pilots can't bomb from high alt and get a CV. With the new fleets, NOE buffs = DENIED. Low-alt JABOs = DENIED.

Heck, you can bring in one destroyer to a field and get 2 guys in the 5" and it is a fleet in itself now...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 01:54:42 AM »
SkyRock<---sank two CV's today in level lanc's NP! :uhoh

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »

Check your PMs.

Btw...what the heck are you doing in buffs now?  :O   :uhoh

:D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:17:13 AM »
I cant get near puff ack in a fighter. I took 4-5 hits in less than a minute at 13k doing 400 mph while manuevering! :rolleyes:

Strip(er)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
I was on a CV that got sunk,so they are still getting thru.However they are paying a high price,as it should be.Very few kamikazes got thru,so it's helping the realism of the game I feel.The Wirbelwind are having the same effect on vultchers and base capture.These new toys have caused changes in the game that are a good thing.Leave them alone,as in no perking.If you want to perk something,go after the ones that need it,Lgay7's,Spixteens,and floating,ufo, niki's, and Hawgs.
IronDog

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
New guns are deadly indeed. On a different note, I really like the new tower. It allows you to look all around and see more of what's happening around the fleet before you take off.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »
I'd say maybe a bit over the top for non-manned ack.  Especially over strats.

Twice last night I was in a TA-152 making passes on buffs approx 12-15K (right about cloud deck)  and I was MOOving!  I couldn't recall exact speed but I had the ol' nose shake going.  Made one pass, boom got a buff.  By the time I extended and came back for another pass, we were getting near a strat and the ack was starting to crank up.  Boom, hit the second buff and BOOM, I'm in the tower  one ack hit, it was nuts.

Repeat pretty much the same scenario again (different buffs) but same speed/alt/situation (killed  1 buff)  made second pass BOOM  in the tower from strat ack.          :uhoh

Like an SOS pad, scouring the skies clean of enemy aircraft.    :pray
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
I'd say maybe a bit over the top for non-manned ack.  Especially over strats.

Twice last night I was in a TA-152 making passes on buffs approx 12-15K (right about cloud deck)  and I was MOOving!  I couldn't recall exact speed but I had the ol' nose shake going.  Made one pass, boom got a buff.  By the time I extended and came back for another pass, we were getting near a strat and the ack was starting to crank up.  Boom, hit the second buff and BOOM, I'm in the tower  one ack hit, it was nuts.

Repeat pretty much the same scenario again (different buffs) but same speed/alt/situation (killed  1 buff)  made second pass BOOM  in the tower from strat ack.          :uhoh

Like an SOS pad, scouring the skies clean of enemy aircraft.    :pray

Hey von,

Everyone knows that puffy Ack only hits Axis Rides!  Should of took a Spitty out!   :rofl

<Salute>

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
I'd rather masturbate with a cheese grater, Danke.        :O
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:22 AM »

Skyrock can bomb?  :uhoh
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"