Author Topic: BF 109-G2  (Read 784 times)

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
BF 109-G2
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:37:50 PM »
I just started flying the 109-G2 and have found it a great plane in my opinion.  It isn't a speed demon like other later 109s but it can turn much sharper and can give some of the more average turners such as p-38s a run for their money.  Also it can reach about 320 at ground level if i can remember correctly.  That is in the upper end speed wise as far as T&B fighters go. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to fly it and some strategies they use. Also I  would like to know what its performance in the vert is? Also what would you do when fighting a plane made specifically for T&B(spit 16) and B&Z(109-K4).

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Re: BF 109-G2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »
i only use the 109's for BNZ except for the E4 wich i barly fly.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »
Well first of all, you're off target about both of the "pure" t&b and b&z planes you listed. Neither fill their respective role you listed. Spit 16 because the better pilots know that it is far more lethal in the vert than horizontally, and 109k4 because of compression and lack of snapshot issues.

But anyway, your question was about the G-2. There will be many 109 experten on here to later give you more detail, and I'm not one of them, but briefly I will sum it up as I always do: the 109 is a "nose up" fighter. When in any sort of engagement, always have it in your mind to keep your nose above the horizon whenever possible. Of course it is more detailed than this, but this is a simple rule to follow. 109 climb rates are generally better than other planes you will encounter (of course this varies by encounter), and the 109's slatted wings will let you keep pretty good control at low speeds induced by nose up turning. Watch for torque at low speeds in the G-14 and K-4, it can be very powerful, and is especially dangerous fighting slow on the deck.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:14 PM »
The G2 is a beast, once you get with a trainer, and master the torque, you can make her dance.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »
Well sorry about the examples I should have put zero as T&B and P-51 or something as B&Z but thanks for the g-2 facts never knew about the nose up thing

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »
Fly Nose Up.

If you need to dive Trim her Out.

Dont Get careless with her She will Bite you in the arse.

"Dont shoot till you see the whites of thier eyes"

She turns better to the Left than to the Right because of torque.. Although its marginal and almost un-noticeable, To a "Experten" 109 pile-it its noticeable and can help in gaining some angles advantage. Kinda the way The p-38 jock notices the difference between the J and the L. We dont notice the handling difference but they do. Same thing here between Turning left vs turning right.

Once you get the hang of ANY 109 you can learn to Use the Tricky Torque To your advantage.

Theres not much One can "say" to give tips on a 109.. The 109 is Attractive to only a few, and mastered by fewer. Amazing plane nontheless.
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:22 PM »
Theres not much One can "say" to give tips on a 109.. The 109 is Attractive to only a few, and mastered by fewer. Amazing plane nontheless.
I don't get why people call the Spitties "beautiful". 109s are beautiful to me.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:56:40 PM »

I couldnt agree more.
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:15:17 AM »
I guess because Allied post-war propaganda makes people think 109's are ugly.

However, I think the 109 and Spitfire look just as graceful as each other (Later 109's and early Spitfires even more so).

There are few who won't doubt that the 109 is probably the most dangerous planes in the main arena. It's lethal like the vertically-superior P-38 but you don't see many good 38 sticks as you do amazing 109 sticks.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 08:16:01 AM »
i love the way 109s look especially when you get a tiger skin with dark greys and blacks on it

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
I like the G2.  It's one of the better balanced 109's; not the hard turning E4/F4 or the speed demon G14/K4.

It's great fun to furball in.  I'm a long time Spit die-hard and the G2 is the closest 109 to the Spits (IX, VIII, XVI) IMHO.

Sorry, no tips for you but have fun in it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »
The main points have been covered with the 'nose-up' fighter style.

Beware of this, though, it is not always the right answer. The 109 G2 and G6 will not have that climbing advantage over later mark Spitfires and a few other aircraft.

You will quickly find this out for yourself, though.

Generally, what the 109s cannot out-climb or out-run, they will out-turn. So fight to your aircraft's strengths in the given situation. That goes for any aircraft.

I like to have my guns in very close in the 109. I have my 30mm cannons at 200 yards and 20mm cannons at 300.

I never take gondolas either. I have in the past and it does work, but if you want to get down and dirty in it, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot with gondolas.

If you're looking for that extra fire-power of the extra cannons... Fly a 190, they will stay faster and are easier to control at high speeds.

My basic rule for all German aircraft is to fight in the verticle, use climbing turns and loops as opposed to diving and flat turns. This will also help you retain your altitude in a fight and help you live longer in a big fight.

Also, I consider the 109 to be one of the worst BnZ'ers in the game.. Unless you're 'Johnny on the spot' with the trim wheels, the 109s become a handful at higher speeds. In the same situation a 190 of any model would perform better. All models of 109 turn quite well so don't be affraid to mix it up. Just do so with climbing turns rather than flat ones.

Don't be affraid to get fast and stay fast in 109s... just don't rely on it as a strictly BnZ aircraft. This is one of the main reasons I prefer the 109 in AH. You CAN get into a dogfight and fight to a stand-still against pretty much anything and still come out on top if you do the job right. This is not the case with the 190s. They can also dogfight pretty well if you know your business but a 190 will always lose to a 109 in a equal situation, equal pilot fight.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »

Spit are like the pretty girl you wanna show off to your friends!

bf109 are the girls you wanna................ cuz they're Nasty